Hemmings online auctions!

Rivdrivn

I kind of resent that I pay a rather significant chunk of change each month to Hemmings to advertise my cars, and they all get pushed aside by these stupid auctions. And even after the auction is over, the unsold cars stick around as "premium classifieds" and continue to hang around at the top of the listings. I'm borderline considering dumping advertising on Hemmings because of it. My advertising money buys less on Hemmings than it used to. Perhaps I should just run all my cars through the auction with unrealistic reserves and grab that "premium classified" spot instead. I'm sure auctions are fun, but I'm also pretty sure guys like me actually pay the bills at Hemmings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Matt  - don’t let the Hemmings guys get you down . I follow your beautiful website regularly and am now lusting after that gorgeous 1940 Buick 56C silver gray convertible with red leather . That color combo is my all time favorite as you can see below on my 64 Vette and 72 Riv . Talking “gently “ with the boss (Lori) to convince her I much I  need  ( believe  that is the  correct word) another car 😀  -touch and go at the moment ! Would fit right into my garage . One can only hope! 
KReed

ROA 14549

7F7415AB-F573-4A18-99B4-5E6C2ABBD9F6.jpeg

83B37194-FA40-4C86-AC2D-320846D8B77D.jpeg

12F7A9D9-26A3-49EE-BB95-5AB1EDFB67BD.jpeg

15FA7568-19E4-4E35-B224-487314276E5B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I kind of resent that I pay a rather significant chunk of change each month to Hemmings to advertise my cars, and they all get pushed aside by these stupid auctions. And even after the auction is over, the unsold cars stick around as "premium classifieds" and continue to hang around at the top of the listings. I'm borderline considering dumping advertising on Hemmings because of it. My advertising money buys less on Hemmings than it used to. Perhaps I should just run all my cars through the auction with unrealistic reserves and grab that "premium classified" spot instead. I'm sure auctions are fun, but I'm also pretty sure guys like me actually pay the bills at Hemmings.

Matt,  what is your percentage of sales that you can attribute to the ad you put in Hemmings?

I had one sell on hemming s..  one on Craigslist  one on auto round up..  Ebay lots of bid.. but no sales...

It is hit or miss on where you put your car for sale...

The car is not for sale... I just took this picture during my house move... I found this sign and took a picture..

Copy-of-IMG_4031.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

Matt,  what is your percentage of sales that you can attribute to the ad you put in Hemmings?

About 30% of our leads come from Hemmings, but that has been dropping as other venues come along and start taking bites out of their market share. Ebay is still the biggest source of leads, but Autotrader Classics is quickly coming up and doing a lot of heavy lifting for us. I've expressed my dissatisfaction with my ads being pushed aside in favor of the auctions (they even advertise similar cars in their auctions at the bottom of my ads, which is total BS--I'm literally paying to advertise for the guy whose car is in the auction) but they don't seem to care. Auctions are fun!

• Like 1

Sounds like the way ebay handles things with showing you better options or atleast other options than the listing you are paying for from other sellers.  I would not have a problem with it promoting my other listings at the bottom of the page but when they show someone elses stuff (the same or similar to mine) I get a bit ticked off. 

I also liked the old format when they sent out the daily listings with the classified ads on the side.  Now they are buried at the bottom, and only that was after they finally brought them back as for a while they were only showing their auction cars on the daily mailings. 

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

About 30% of our leads come from Hemmings, but that has been dropping as other venues come along and start taking bites out of their market share. Ebay is still the biggest source of leads, but Autotrader Classics is quickly coming up and doing a lot of heavy lifting for us. I've expressed my dissatisfaction with my ads being pushed aside in favor of the auctions (they even advertise similar cars in their auctions at the bottom of my ads, which is total BS--I'm literally paying to advertise for the guy whose car is in the auction) but they don't seem to care. Auctions are fun!

Hemmings was the "bible" forever.    But they have annoyed me on a number of levels for years now.   Some of my issues are petty,  some maybe not.  Your issue is very legit.

Follow the money.  I don't know what Hemmings charges for an auction listing or what they take as their cut of a sale, but it's likely that the latter at least is a whole lot more than they get from a standard classified ad.  As such, it's understandable why they'd promote the auctions even to the point of cannibalizing other revenue.  Which is not a defense of the ethics behind the decision, but it might explain the reasoning.

At some point, you have to crunch the numbers: how much do you spend vs. how much do you reap.  Are you getting less bang for your buck now?  

Yeah it’s the auction commission where they make $$. I was asked about listing my Riviera through their auction service and the listing fee was the same as Bring a Trailer (about $100). But the auction turns into a classified ad if the car doesn’t sell. 

Problem is they don’t have the audience of Bring a Trailer. They need it to grow a lot.

Their classified business was probably getting eaten by BaT. Had to try something.

15 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I haven’t looked at Hemming’s auction but I check out BaT every day.  Does Hemming’s allow reader critiques?  I like that feature on BaT and you can learn/offer professional advice on vehicles  that you are familiar and have experience with.

Yes, it looks like there’s an opportunity for some banter among those who register, expert or not, as the auction progresses. Last I checked, however, they only had a paltry 18 auctions underway.

The brilliant innovation BAT introduced is adding 2 minutes to the clock with every last minute bid. Think how that would impact sale prices on eBay. Brilliant for the site and the sellers.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 8:23 PM, KongaMan said:

Follow the money.  I don't know what Hemmings charges for an auction listing or what they take as their cut of a sale, but it's likely that the latter at least is a whole lot more than they get from a standard classified ad.  As such, it's understandable why they'd promote the auctions even to the point of cannibalizing other revenue.  Which is not a defense of the ethics behind the decision, but it might explain the reasoning.

At some point, you have to crunch the numbers: how much do you spend vs. how much do you reap.  Are you getting less bang for your buck now?  

Yes, probably less bang for your buck (the car business is once again changing), but a more pertinent question is compared to what alternate venue?