64 Vacuum Trunk Release Install

Devjas

Ready to begin install of a 64 trunk release on my 65 Riv.  I’m trying to figure out the the correct vacuum hose to run to the trunk size. 

Been all over the net and can’t find the details for the correct hose and where to purchase.

Has anyone installed one recently and any tips would be most welcomed...

thank you

Happy Holidays..

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

I don’t recall the size but if you take your unit to an auto parts store that sells vacuum hose by the foot, see which diameter fits properly and buy enough for the installation.  

To expand on that...  It's a bit of a task to determine how much you need beforehand, so it might be better to figure out the size, then buy a roll of 25' from RockAuto or such (which will likely also be cheaper than buying by the foot for a shorter length).

Go into an auto parts store and ask for hose samples of stuff that looks close.  They should give you a couple of inches for free, then you make your determination and order at your convenience.

You could just measure the OD of the nipples on the components to figure out the correct size.

6 hours ago, Devjas said:

Ready to begin install of a 64 trunk release on my 65 Riv.  I’m trying to figure out the the correct vacuum hose to run to the trunk size. 

Been all over the net and can’t find the details for the correct hose and where to purchase.

Has anyone installed one recently and any tips would be most welcomed...

thank you

Happy Holidays..

image.jpg

7/64" as nipples are 1/8". Found mine on e-bay. 25 feet will be plenty as far as length. Ed is referencing the rear cardboard piece that runs along the rear. The box that encloses the lock mechanism needs to be bigger as you are adding a piece to the lock mechanism. You will have to buy a whole new cardboard set to get what you need.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

Here's what CARS has for trunk card board.  On the piece that goes over the trunk latch and the tail light housings you can see that the cover  (the longer narrower on at the bottom of each picture) for the latch is bigger on the one with the remote.

No remote

Trunk Lining Kit 1963-65 Buick Riviera N://w.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=6031

With remote

Trunk Lining Kit 1963-65 Buick Riviera R://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=7069

I don't know if this matters to you or not but the vacuum trunk release set up for a 1965 Riviera is different from that used on '63 and '64. The 1965 Riviera used a vacuum tank mounted low on the passenger side firewall to store engine-generated vacuum which was then directed by a valve in the glove box to the opening mechanism in the trunk.  The picture below shows the correct valve which goes in the glove box. If you decide to go this route, you would also need to find the correct vacuum tank and run a vacuum line from the engine to the tank. The setup you have will work just fine and I am only passing along this information in case you are concerned with originality. Good luck with your installation, this is a nice feature to have. 

1965 Riv Trunk Release.jpg

The 63 and 64 units created their own vacuum when you pulled the release nob.  A very simple and effective design that didn’t require a vacuum storage tank and ultimately, more places to leak.  Why Buick changed the system in 1965 is a question that I can’t answer.

The 1963/1964 design has proven the test of time.  I have seen numerous originals working perfectly today without repair.

Retrofitting a 63/64 to a 65 is an easy job.  The only visual difference is the release knob/unit which is out of sight in the glove box.

Edited by Pat Curran
Update content (see edit history)

From `63-`65 the release mechanism in the glovebox became progressively smaller and less intrusive. Awhile ago I posted a pic of a side by side comparison of the release mechanisms on this forum. If I can find it I will post again.

The glovebox on the `63-`65 Rivs is smallish compared to other full size `60`s cars so the extra room is welcome.

No reliability issues with the `65 system except that the engine vacuum must be present to operate.

If originality is a priority, considering the labor involved, I would install a year correct system.

I have all 3 systems in stock and for sale. If anyone is interested send a pm, thanks,

Tom Mooney

On 12/29/2019 at 12:25 PM, 1965rivgs said:

From `63-`65 the release mechanism in the glovebox became progressively smaller and less intrusive. Awhile ago I posted a pic of a side by side comparison of the release mechanisms on this forum. If I can find it I will post again.

The glovebox on the `63-`65 Rivs is smallish compared to other full size `60`s cars so the extra room is welcome.

No reliability issues with the `65 system except that the engine vacuum must be present to operate.

If originality is a priority, considering the labor involved, I would install a year correct system.

I have all 3 systems in stock and for sale. If anyone is interested send a pm, thanks,

Tom Mooney

To clarify........the engine does not need to be running for the 65 release to work. The vacuum tank stores the engine vacuum and the trunk release

will open the trunk one time without restarting the engine to restore the vacuum to the tank. The 65 release would work even if the engine had been shut off

for many days, but after using it once you would have to restart the engine to replenish the vacuum to the tank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

To clarify........the engine does not need to be running for the 65 release to work. The vacuum tank stores the engine vacuum and the trunk release

will open the trunk one time without restarting the engine to restore the vacuum to the tank. The 65 release would work even if the engine had been shut off

for many days, but after using it once you would have to restart the engine to replenish the vacuum to the tank.

Winston,

Thats why I stated vacuum must be "present" and did not state the engine must be running.

Fact of the matter is that although the system should hold vacuum for a long period of time, it is very common, for various reasons, to experience  vacuum bleed off in a reasonably short period of time. A bad check valve in the storage tank, leaking vacuum lines or a leaking glovebox release mechanism will all contribute to vacuum bleedoff.

The `63-`64 systems dont have a storage vacuum downside because the plunger in the glovebox creates its own vacuum. Back in my youth I opened many a junkyard trunk with the plunger system on cars which were obviously no longer running and idle for many years

Tom M.

I get the advantage of the smaller footprint of the 65 system, but (IMHO) the 63-4 systems are vastly superior because of their greater utility.  To put a finer point on it, I'd posit that the majority of the time I've used mine, the engine wasn't running and there would not have been any reserve vacuum available.  

And yes, I've opened a few trunks by sucking on the hose.  A skill I repeatedly attempted to teach some of my female acquaintances, with mixed results.

• Haha 2