Times Square Surprise

Billy Kingsley

This past Sunday my brother and I ventured into NYC, to see the Rockefeller Plaza Christmas tree and the New Year's Ball, which is uncovered and lit. Well, it was a mistake. It was way too crowded and I'll never do that again...but I was surprised by this...

201940609-vi.jpg

201940611-vi.jpg
201940613-vi.jpg

201940614-vi.jpg

You can actually see the New Year's Ball in the last photo. Times Square is about the last place I expected to see an old car! I think it may actually have been a private taxi, but I'm not 100% sure.

But that wasn't all...

201940334-vi.jpg

201940335-vi.jpg

It was titled as a 1957, the grill looks a little older to me, but I have almost no knowledge of the larger trucks. 

There were also a couple of these Citroens in Rockefeller Plaza.

201940245-vi.jpg

201940222-vi.jpg

201940200-vi.jpg

It doesn't look like it's street legal anymore, in that it's not licensed. There's another on the other side of the skating rink, but it was too crowded for me to get over to it and see it. 

I took over 600 photos, which I have on my website here If anybody wants to look: https://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/trips/christmas-in-manhattan/ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Billy!  Thanks for posting the photos!  Looks like you and your brother had a great day for touring...  Merry Christmas!  Greg

• Like 1

Billy, the NYC got smart this year and closed 49th and 50th Streets to auto traffic. You should have seen the crowds before the closures. We had those Grumman Step Vans when I was in the Navy. The drivers seat flipped up so you could actually drive the truck standing up. Talk about a weird feeling.

• Like 1

I worked in Times Square for the last 15 years of my career. I retired 2 years ago and never had the desire to go back! The only thing I miss is eating lunch at Carmine's a few days a week.  I never understood what the desire is to go to Times Square, all it is an open air shopping mall.  

• Like 1

I stayed in MidTown in 1984, at the PickWick Arms, and got a GREAT sandwich at the deli right next to the hotel, but can't remember if it was corned beef or pastrami. I'm thinking pastrami. very high pile of thin sliced meat, fresh big roll. When I stayed there another guest of the Pick-Wick Arms said the main reason he stayed there was the deli next door.

Times Square was different then, you would gets lots of offers of dates.

• Like 1

Thanks for the id. I'm not too knowlegable about 30s cars...I knew it was not a Ford but not what it actually was. 

Think the hot dogs cost about $2. The mayor is trying to outlaw them for some reason. I did get some back in January and they were pretty good actually. Better than I expected. The food carts smelled great to me this trip but my medicine dictates when I eat, and there was no eating on this trip. 

I was in Times Square on Friday and saw the hot rod you have in your picture along with two others that were following it.  It was around 10:30.  What I am wondering is why they are driving through that area as traffic is horrible and is not a usual place for that type of car at this time of the year.  Also, I saw a couple of the new three wheeled motorcycles driving  in the same area with the one being so loud that you could hear it two blocks away.