American movie

sebastienbuick

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, 60FlatTop said:

To get the real American flavor don't miss the music.

And the same singer has this little tune that I am particularly fond of, but that's a whole other story.

yes indeed they are very good music!
Thank you, I did not know ;) 

21 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

The Back to the Future Movies have some vintage car footage that is good for the time frame it was made in as well. Music,  teenagers,  the typical movie like we have been mentioning for alot of suggestions. 

yes I have seen many times the movies "back to the future", and I really like, they are superb films :wub:.
I even bought miniature car (model) the movie Deloeran :)    , and when I went on vacation in America, I did a lot of old car garage / museum, and in Las Vegas I went to a movie car museum, and I saw the Delorean (western) back to the future ! :) 

re "Vanishing Point" make sure you get the original one with Barry Newman (uncut DVC is kinda blue with helicopters) and not the "Vanishing Turkey" with Viggo ("Jimmy Kowalski " ?)

BTW for some of the best car movies, there are several versions out there "Vanishing Point" is one, "Gumball Rally" is another that were cut down for the American market.

"Gone In 60 Seconds" is unique in that there are two soundtracks out there. The original has "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan but seems that Toby played fast and loose with minor things like copyrights and Denise could not straighten out so the reissue has a kind of blaaah replacement.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:01 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Lots of old cars in this one, and a funny movie.:lol:

Indeed it looks funny ! :) 
Thank you ;) 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, auburnseeker said:

I just thought of another.  Eddie and the cruisers parts 1 and 2.  Both parts are pretty good if you like the music,  not alot of cars but some. Set in the early 60's but alot of it is a flashback between the late 70's early 80's and the 60's. Part two is the continuation. 

Thank you auburnseeker ;) , I did not know too.
I would go and see that ;) 

Just happened to think of Animal House as well.  Not alot of cars,  but again early 60's kids in college theme. 

Great Balls of fire is one you might like as well.  It's a movie about Jerry Lee Lewis.  Some nice 57 Oldsmobiles or Caddies.  I can't remember which now.   It's been a long time since I watched it.  

The Beach Boys , An American Family. was also a pretty good movie.  I think it was made for TV but is available as a movie.  OF course some cars and surf Music.  

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

If you haven't watched the 1965 film "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Natalie Wood, I highly recommend it.  It's a over-the-top comedy about a car race around the world from New York to Paris (going west) in the early 1900s.  It's not realistic, but very funny.  The Leslie Special driven by Tony Curtis and Professor Fate's "Hannibal" car driven by Jack Lemmon in the movie are on display at the Stahls Automotive Foundation in Chesterfield, MI.

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Just happened to think of Animal House as well.  Not alot of cars,  but again early 60's kids in college theme. 

Great Balls of fire is one you might like as well.  It's a movie about Jerry Lee Lewis.  Some nice 57 Oldsmobiles or Caddies.  I can't remember which now.   It's been a long time since I watched it.  

The Beach Boys , An American Family. was also a pretty good movie.  I think it was made for TV but is available as a movie.  OF course some cars and surf Music.  

2 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

If you haven't watched the 1965 film "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Natalie Wood, I highly recommend it.  It's a over-the-top comedy about a car race around the world from New York to Paris (going west) in the early 1900s.  It's not realistic, but very funny.  The Leslie Special driven by Tony Curtis and Professor Fate's "Hannibal" car driven by Jack Lemmon in the movie are on display at the Stahls Automotive Foundation in Chesterfield, MI.

Thank you ! ;) I did not know these movies.
I have it is written on the list for me to inquire ;) 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:34 AM, auburnseeker said:

Viva LAs Vegas with Elvis Presley has some sports car racing circa 1964.  A few of his movies do so you could check those out. 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:37 AM, mike6024 said:

1949 Movie DOA (dead on Arrival)

What is this convertible the actor drives up in?

Thank you ;) 

Sebastien,   

Regarding your first post, there really is a Dodge City. I doubt "National Lampoon's Vacation" was really filmed there, but it's the county seat of Ford County in western Kansas. I lived in Kansas 25 years. When I was in 5th grade, all the 5th grade students in Hutchinson, KS got to go on a one-day trip to Dodge City & back, 125 miles away. The school district chartered an entire Santa Fe RR train to get there, and we spent a few hours in the historic district called Front Street(less than 100 years old then!). Going back even farther, my great grandfather(1861-1963) moved to Dodge in 1882, when lawmen Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp were there. I remember talking to him about Dodge City.

Regarding movies with cars:

• 1967...Bonnie & Clyde. Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty are in it. A lot of old cars and portrayals of the midwest in the 1930s............................Excellent film.
  • 1971...Ace Eli & Rodger of the Skies. Cliff Robertson/Bernadette Peters. Outdoor shots filmed near Hutchinson, KS......Such a poor movie that when it was released after 3 years, the producer, screenwriter, and director had their names removed from the credits. Written by Steven Spielberg. Great use of antique cars, though, and 1 biplane. Barnstorming movie set in the 1920s. 
  • 1973...Paper Moon. Ryan O'Neal/Tatum O'Neal. B&W barnstorming movie set in Kansas in the 1920s. Really filmed in Kansas.........Won an Oscar.
  • 1973...The Sting. Paul Newman/Robert Redford. A lot of old cars. Set in 1930s.............One of the finest American movies of the decade.
  • 1976...Gumball Rally. Raul Julia and Linda Vaughn are in it. Set in 1970s. High-performance cars.............padgett is right, it's a must-see movie.

papermoon03

a scene from Paper Moon shot in McCracken, Kansas.

My Grandfather and his 1922 Lincoln are in the 2nd movie briefly. The screen debut of Bernadette Peters. The whole thing got re-written and scenes were added making the movie tasteless to the point of being offensive. I read that it was never shown as a re-run on movie channels, or released on video because it was so bad. A World War I veteran who was a fighter ace has trouble adjusting to life back on the farm. His wife dies in a plane wreck that he survives. Then he burns his house down. He goes from town to town with his son, who is 11 and drinks and smokes, trying to forget his troubles. That's just the first 15 minutes, and things go downhill from there. The 9-year-old girl in Paper Moon smokes too, but apparently the film was good enough for her to get Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Ace Eli has been on cable fairly recently, Cliff Robertson was also in New Zealand with a loud Firebird in "Shaker Run". If you want a real turkey I already mentioned Viggo as "Jimmie Kowalski" but also, Dennis Hopper in "The Last Ride", a Pontiac GTO/Holden commercial. Favorite poor use of cars on TV went to Ma Barker in a '50 Cadillac and biggest taillights in a 64 Ford in "Hurry Sundown". Earliest I have is Harold Lloyd in "Speedy". And my personal biggest disappointment was "Stroker Ace: Stand On It", a superb novel made up of real experiences (some I witnessed) by Bill Neely (please read) and turned into a terrible movie by Hall Needham. And "Driven" for the only thing a quarter is still good for.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, jeff_a said:

Sebastien,   

Regarding your first post, there really is a Dodge City. I doubt "National Lampoon's Vacation" was really filmed there, but it's the county seat of Ford County in western Kansas. I lived in Kansas 25 years. When I was in 5th grade, all the 5th grade students in Hutchinson, KS got to go on a one-day trip to Dodge City & back, 125 miles away. The school district chartered an entire Santa Fe RR train to get there, and we spent a few hours in the historic district called Front Street(less than 100 years old then!). Going back even farther, my great grandfather(1861-1963) moved to Dodge in 1882, when lawmen Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp were there. I remember talking to him about Dodge City.

Regarding movies with cars:

• 1967...Bonnie & Clyde. Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty are in it. A lot of old cars and portrayals of the midwest in the 1930s............................Excellent film.
  • 1971...Ace Eli & Rodger of the Skies. Cliff Robertson/Bernadette Peters. Outdoor shots filmed near Hutchinson, KS......Such a poor movie that when it was released after 3 years, the producer, screenwriter, and director had their names removed from the credits. Written by Steven Spielberg. Great use of antique cars, though, and 1 biplane. Barnstorming movie set in the 1920s. 
  • 1973...Paper Moon. Ryan O'Neal/Tatum O'Neal. B&W barnstorming movie set in Kansas in the 1920s. Really filmed in Kansas.........Won an Oscar.
  • 1973...The Sting. Paul Newman/Robert Redford. A lot of old cars. Set in 1930s.............One of the finest American movies of the decade.
  • 1976...Gumball Rally. Raul Julia and Linda Vaughn are in it. Set in 1970s. High-performance cars.............padgett is right, it's a must-see movie.

papermoon03

a scene from Paper Moon shot in McCracken, Kansas.

My Grandfather and his 1922 Lincoln are in the 2nd movie briefly. The screen debut of Bernadette Peters. The whole thing got re-written and scenes were added making the movie tasteless to the point of being offensive. I read that it was never shown as a re-run on movie channels, or released on video because it was so bad. A World War I veteran who was a fighter ace has trouble adjusting to life back on the farm. His wife dies in a plane wreck that he survives. Then he burns his house down. He goes from town to town with his son, who is 11 and drinks and smokes, trying to forget his troubles. That's just the first 15 minutes, and things go downhill from there. The 9-year-old girl in Paper Moon smokes too, but apparently the film was good enough for her to get Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards.

Agree thank you very much for all this information.
I did not know that the city Dodge city really exist, thanks ;) 
This city has something to do with the Dodge car brand?
Thanks for the movie list :) 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, padgett said:

Ace Eli has been on cable fairly recently, Cliff Robertson was also in New Zealand with a loud Firebird in "Shaker Run". If you want a real turkey I already mentioned Viggo as "Jimmie Kowalski" but also, Dennis Hopper in "The Last Ride", a Pontiac GTO/Holden commercial. Favorite poor use of cars on TV went to Ma Barker in a '50 Cadillac and biggest taillights in a 64 Ford in "Hurry Sundown". Earliest I have is Harold Lloyd in "Speedy". And my personal biggest disappointment was "Stroker Ace: Stand On It", a superb novel made up of real experiences (some I witnessed) by Bill Neely (please read) and turned into a terrible movie by Hall Needham. And "Driven" for the only thing a quarter is still good for.

Thank you very much for the movies you recommend.
I just watched on the internet an extrai of the movie "The Last Ride", and what a dramatic ending for this beautiful pontiac GTO The Judge :( 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Thank you for the video, I did not know.
The chevrolet had no trouble getting on this little Morgan :lol:

Dodge City has no connection to Dodge Brothers Motor Car Co., or Dodge cars and trucks. It was named after Fort Dodge on the Santa Fe Trail in southwest Kansas, about 1/2 way between Ft. Lyons, Colorado and Ft. Larned, Kansas. Ft. Larned still exists, built of stone, I used to work there. Ft. Dodge existed 1865-1882, then a town of Dodge City was founded nearby in 1872, long before the car company started in 1913. Regarding the name, it just comes from General Grenville Dodge in the U.S. Army. I don't know how familiar you are with American history...but the Santa Fe Trail was an important wagon route for commerce between this country and Mexico(1821-1878). 

Image result for dodge city.....Dodge City today

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, jeff_a said:

Dodge City has no connection to Dodge Brothers or Dodge cars and trucks. It was named after Fort Dodge on the Santa Fe Trail in southwest Kansas, about 1/2 way between Ft. Lyons, Colorado and Ft. Larned, Kansas. Ft. Larned still exists, built of stone, I used to work there. Ft. Dodge existed 1865-1882, then a town of Dodge City was founded nearby in 1872, long before the car company started in 1913. Regarding the name, it just comes from General Grenville Dodge in the U.S. Army. I don't know how familiar you are with American history...but the Santa Fe Trail was an important wagon route for commerce between this country and Mexico(1821-1878). 

Image result for dodge city.....Dodge City today

Thank you very much for this explanation, I did not know that it was a very useful road before ;) 
No I did not know this person, thank you for the information ;) 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:06 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Nice Thunder Bird in this one. Anytime Idaho.

it looks like a very funny movie :lol: , and the T-bird is  Very BEAUTIFUL :wub: :wub:
Thank you ;) 

Hi, 

two of my favourites are “ Taking of Pelham, One, Two, Three (1974 original version) and “The French Connection”. Both feature American cars of the era in ordinary street scenes. The car chase in the second film is exceptional. Good movies, good actors and great cars.

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi, 

two of my favourites are “ Taking of Pelham, One, Two, Three (1974 original version) and “The French Connection”. Both feature American cars of the era in ordinary street scenes. The car chase in the second film is exceptional. Good movies, good actors and great cars.

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Hey Rodney

Thanks for reminding me of the film, I have not seen it in years. I grew up in the Bronx used to ride the Pelham Line every day to Manhattan and back.The number 6 train, went through at the time some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the world, not that the neighborhoods got better, just there are a lot more that became worse. I used to drive to the the Castle Hill Ave Station and try to find a space on the street. My 72 Vega was stolen, and lost numerous batteries to thieves. Fun Times! 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi, 

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Thank you, I'll see that ;) 

7 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Hey, it features Frank Costanza too! See him in the trailer???

image.jpeg.9487872b682604d29ddddf3283a336b3.jpeg

thank you ! this movie looks great and the police cars are beautiful :wub:

7 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Filmed in Panama City Beach Florida. For all you Florida residents you may recognize some scenery.

Thanks for the video, I did not know this movie too ;) 

Don't forget the Godfather (my father had one of his cars in the street scenes) Goodfellows, A Bronx Tale, Raging Bull, and one of my favorite Deniro films is Sleeper, not well known due to a dark story line about a reform school in NYS. The street scenes on the West Side of Manhattan (Hell's Kitchen) were great. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John348 said:

Don't forget the Godfather (my father had one of his cars in the street scenes) Goodfellows, A Bronx Tale, Raging Bull, and one of my favorite Deniro films is Sleeper, not well known due to a dark story line about a reform school in NYS. The street scenes on the West Side of Manhattan (Hell's Kitchen) were great. 

Thank you, I will look at this ;) 
I know the movie "godfather" but I've never seen
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

Thank you, I will look at this ;) 
I know the movie "godfather" but I've never seen

Some feel that the Godfather was one of the best Films ever made. Godfather II is very good if not better then Godfather 1, Godfather III was not good at all.

Raging Bull was about boxer Jake Lamotta, played by Dinero. II have not seen it in some time but I believe there was a real nice 39 Buick Phaeton in many of the scenes. Movie took place in the Bronx in the 40's and 50's. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, John348 said:

Some feel that the Godfather was one of the best Films ever made. Godfather II is very good if not better the Godfather 1, Godfather III was not good at all.

Raging Bull was about boxer Jake Lamotta, played by Dinero. II have not seen it in some time but I believe there was a real nice 39 Buick Phaeton in many of the scenes. Movie took place in the Bronx in the 40's and 50's. 

Ok thank you, I did not know ;)