sebastienbuick

American movie

9 hours ago, lump said:

Sebastien, 

When I was a street-racing teenager in 1971, my friends and I all loved a car movie called THE VANISHING POINT. It's about a guy who gets paid to drive new high-performance cars clear across the country, and deliver them to new owners in a hurry! 

He delivers a Chrysler Imperial to Denver, but wants to take off again immediately delivering his next assignment...a white 1970 Dodge Challenger RT with 440 magnum engine. He drives it way too fast, outrunning cops in state after state, and having all kinds of dangerous adventures. 

It's one of those "film noir" flicks, but worth watching if you like hot American cars, and the US culture of the late 1960's and early 1970's. 

Cheers! 

Thank you very much;), I really like American cars, and I love watching old American movies or you can see old cars.
Same films of the 90/95 year, because we see chevrolet caprice 1990 (about), ford Crown Victoria, chevrolet impala, Buick Park Avenue, ...., cars that we do not see in France, we can see only a few old car show

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Thank you very much, I did not know and it looks really good, I will try to find it in French version ;) 

Not a movie, a TV series I always liked was "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford mid-late 50s. His patrol cars were Oldsmobiles and Buicks and lots of 30s and 40s cars in the background(main reason I watched). "Vanishing Point",  was the first movie that I remember that started out at the end (just before the crash) then flashes back to the beginning and everything that happened leading up to that point.

• Like 1

Jelly bean Impalas can be fun Jean Reno drives one in Godzilla. Also in France in Ronin & lots of fast cars. But for '50s Americana try  "Pleasantville". Vanishing Point was well done, they only used a Hycam with the Jag. Unfortunately the American version usually has many cuts including the whole Charlotte Rampling scene. Fortunately it is not a Challenger that gets destroyed.

For great '50s cars scenes try "Johnnie Dark" (1954) and "the Fast and the Furious" (1954). For '60s Formula 1, "Grand Prix".  "Gumball Rally" stands by itself as a tribute to the NMSL (full cut has the Jag scenes but the sounds in NYC make the movie), later efforts ("CannonBall Run") can be entertaining. Are really hundreds of great (and not so great) Car Movies.

• Like 1

I have expressed some concerns to the State Police and the News networks about what I think could be happening. No cars in this clip, I am sure some of the people did drive to the meeting. Best clip I can find to touch on the concern. I hope I am wrong. Still waiting Idaho.

• Like 1

Good part starts around 1:20

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Not a movie, a TV series I always liked was "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford mid-late 50s. His patrol cars were Oldsmobiles and Buicks and lots of 30s and 40s cars in the background(main reason I watched). "Vanishing Point",  was the first movie that I remember that started out at the end (just before the crash) then flashes back to the beginning and everything that happened leading up to that point.

18 hours ago, padgett said:

Jelly bean Impalas can be fun Jean Reno drives one in Godzilla. Also in France in Ronin & lots of fast cars. But for '50s Americana try  "Pleasantville". Vanishing Point was well done, they only used a Hycam with the Jag. Unfortunately the American version usually has many cuts including the whole Charlotte Rampling scene. Fortunately it is not a Challenger that gets destroyed.

For great '50s cars scenes try "Johnnie Dark" (1954) and "the Fast and the Furious" (1954). For '60s Formula 1, "Grand Prix".  "Gumball Rally" stands by itself as a tribute to the NMSL (full cut has the Jag scenes but the sounds in NYC make the movie), later efforts ("CannonBall Run") can be entertaining. Are really hundreds of great (and not so great) Car Movies.

ah ok thanks to you ;) 
I saw vanishing point with this very beautiful white Dodge Challenger, and indeed in the end it is not this Dodge that is destroyed ;) .
Thank you for the titles of the movies! ;) 

16 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Some cool old cars in this one. Some fun now!:lol:

Thank you I did not know either, it seems to be a funny movie   :lol: , and we see beautiful American cars of the year 50 :wub:

16 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I have expressed some concerns to the State Police and the News networks about what I think could be happening. No cars in this clip, I am sure some of the people did drive to the meeting. Best clip I can find to touch on the concern. I hope I am wrong. Still waiting Idaho.

15 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Good part starts around 1:20

Thank you for the video, I do not know and it looks great ! ;) 

On 8/31/2019 at 8:17 AM, pont35cpe said:

Not a movie, a TV series I always liked was "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford mid-late 50s.

To get the real American flavor don't miss the music.

And the same singer has this little tune that I am particularly fond of, but that's a whole other story.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

And the same singer has this little tune that I am particularly fond of, but that's a whole other story.

Oh yeah!! You can`t beat Jr Brown and his over under, 6 string on top and steel on bottom, guitar

• Like 1

The Back to the Future Movies have some vintage car footage that is good for the time frame it was made in as well. Music,  teenagers,  the typical movie like we have been mentioning for alot of suggestions. 

• Like 1

I think Highway Patrol was so low budget that they filmed live on some street scenes.  Sort of gives you the enjoyable flavor of home movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

I think Highway Patrol was so low budget that they filmed live on some street scenes. 

Many of the scenes with Broderick Crawford driving were done on dirt private dirt roads in the valleys to avoid him getting a ticket for driving under the influence. Check out how many dirt road scenes there are in the collection!

And check out the tough guy in the middle. Literally a stellar performer. The Blood Money episode.

image.png.255753f1cd3440e7502984cca4af1e47.png

My wife and I always laugh at shows or movies when there are car chases on dirt roads, and they've added the sound effect of tires squealing....what fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, 60FlatTop said:

yes indeed they are very good music!
Thank you, I did not know ;) 

21 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

The Back to the Future Movies have some vintage car footage that is good for the time frame it was made in as well. Music,  teenagers,  the typical movie like we have been mentioning for alot of suggestions. 

yes I have seen many times the movies "back to the future", and I really like, they are superb films :wub:.
I even bought miniature car (model) the movie Deloeran :)    , and when I went on vacation in America, I did a lot of old car garage / museum, and in Las Vegas I went to a movie car museum, and I saw the Delorean (western) back to the future ! :) 

re "Vanishing Point" make sure you get the original one with Barry Newman (uncut DVC is kinda blue with helicopters) and not the "Vanishing Turkey" with Viggo ("Jimmy Kowalski " ?)

BTW for some of the best car movies, there are several versions out there "Vanishing Point" is one, "Gumball Rally" is another that were cut down for the American market.

"Gone In 60 Seconds" is unique in that there are two soundtracks out there. The original has "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan but seems that Toby played fast and loose with minor things like copyrights and Denise could not straighten out so the reissue has a kind of blaaah replacement.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I just thought of another.  Eddie and the cruisers parts 1 and 2.  Both parts are pretty good if you like the music,  not alot of cars but some. Set in the early 60's but alot of it is a flashback between the late 70's early 80's and the 60's. Part two is the continuation. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:01 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Lots of old cars in this one, and a funny movie.:lol:

Indeed it looks funny ! :) 
Thank you ;) 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, auburnseeker said:

I just thought of another.  Eddie and the cruisers parts 1 and 2.  Both parts are pretty good if you like the music,  not alot of cars but some. Set in the early 60's but alot of it is a flashback between the late 70's early 80's and the 60's. Part two is the continuation. 

Thank you auburnseeker ;) , I did not know too.
I would go and see that ;) 

Just happened to think of Animal House as well.  Not alot of cars,  but again early 60's kids in college theme. 

Great Balls of fire is one you might like as well.  It's a movie about Jerry Lee Lewis.  Some nice 57 Oldsmobiles or Caddies.  I can't remember which now.   It's been a long time since I watched it.  

The Beach Boys , An American Family. was also a pretty good movie.  I think it was made for TV but is available as a movie.  OF course some cars and surf Music.  

• Like 1

If you haven't watched the 1965 film "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Natalie Wood, I highly recommend it.  It's a over-the-top comedy about a car race around the world from New York to Paris (going west) in the early 1900s.  It's not realistic, but very funny.  The Leslie Special driven by Tony Curtis and Professor Fate's "Hannibal" car driven by Jack Lemmon in the movie are on display at the Stahls Automotive Foundation in Chesterfield, MI.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Just happened to think of Animal House as well.  Not alot of cars,  but again early 60's kids in college theme. 

Great Balls of fire is one you might like as well.  It's a movie about Jerry Lee Lewis.  Some nice 57 Oldsmobiles or Caddies.  I can't remember which now.   It's been a long time since I watched it.  

The Beach Boys , An American Family. was also a pretty good movie.  I think it was made for TV but is available as a movie.  OF course some cars and surf Music.  

2 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

If you haven't watched the 1965 film "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Natalie Wood, I highly recommend it.  It's a over-the-top comedy about a car race around the world from New York to Paris (going west) in the early 1900s.  It's not realistic, but very funny.  The Leslie Special driven by Tony Curtis and Professor Fate's "Hannibal" car driven by Jack Lemmon in the movie are on display at the Stahls Automotive Foundation in Chesterfield, MI.

Thank you ! ;) I did not know these movies.
I have it is written on the list for me to inquire ;)