Where my '39 Buick convertible sedan went

Dynaflash8

All you guys who preached to me what my car should be worth:  It's going to somebody in VIRGINIA...my own beloved real home.  Probably it is somebody who knew me and the car over the years.  Having that 350-some comment thing on here probably didn't help my price.  But I was flat on my back in the hospital with open heart surgery and my fight was gone.  I loved that car, but time runs out on everybody. I'm slowly improving.  I've still got old blue so I guess it came to my asstance when I needed it to.  I hope he treats it well.  It was sold new in Washington, DC.

Earl Beauchamp

• Like 5

Earl , I was delighted to read your post and am glad you are back here to comment. Open heart surgery, know all about that , went through it the end of 2017 ,  still in recovery myself , takes time to get your stamina back , but just glad I am here to write about it! Keep well , and hope you can get your Buick out for a spin soon.

Walt

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

Earl , I was delighted to read your post and am glad you are back here to comment. Open heart surgery, know all about that , went through it the end of 2017 ,  still in recovery myself , takes time to get your stamina back , but just glad I am here to write about it! Keep well , and hope you can get your Buick out for a spin soon.

Walt

God only knows I hope it doesn't take me that long.  I hope to attend Hershey yet and drive the 91 Park Avenue to Moline.  They say I'm doing well, but I don't quite feel it.

4 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

God only knows I hope it doesn't take me that long.  I hope to attend Hershey yet and drive the 91 Park Avenue to Moline.  They say I'm doing well, but I don't quite feel it.

Good to see you back on the keyboard again Earl.  We're looking forward to seeing you and Judy in Hershey and Mobile. 

Terry

23 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Did the same dealer end up selling your car?

Most recently, I think he had it listed at $45,000.

Anybody with sense knew they could offer.  Yes, and no I did not get close to that.  They got a deal from a sick old man flat of his back.

Attitude is EVERYTHING ....

Visited the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum on Tuesday after dropping off

an AACA First Grand National Winner.

As I was leaving - visited with a couple

of gentlemen in their 80’s.

One them mentioned in passing he has terminal cancer.

Yet here he was doing something he considered important ..... 

5C12A79B-1514-4D05-9201-B6545240D0A8.thumb.jpeg.9f9563a3bccf08f688bc01288eb2c729.jpeg

AB592AAE-BDAD-4D57-A6DB-9C889CADB9D8.jpeg.52ccd2f997eac98a8ac96b5bbe15c783.jpeg

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Anybody with sense knew they could offer.  Yes, and no I did not get close to that.  They got a deal from a sick old man flat of his back.

May 11, 2012. 7:10am Jeep Wrangler turns into the path of me on my motorcycle and hits me head on at 45mph.  Ambulance takes me to hospital followed by helicopter transport to major trauma center 50 miles away.  Four months in hospitals.  Outcome-permanently paralyzed from the waist down, right leg completely amputated.  Employer cancels my employment as I cannot meet job requirements. Insurance will not insure me now that I’m a risk.  Can’t live in existing home due to layout wont support my new disability, have to sell and find and modify a ranch style house.  Have to sell my 1964 Plymouth with 49k miles, my small collection of automobilia, tools and more things than you can imagine at fire sale values, including car and house.  No time to wait for fair offers or negotiate better prices.

Life is not fair as I think as this happening.  I was 60 when the accident happened, just turned 67 last week.

Why am I telling you this?  Life goes ON!  Yes you had setback and yes your car did not sell at the point you wanted but you are alive and you can make the best of it if you choose.  What happened with your heath and your car is over!  You have the opportunity to continue to live and enjoy what it offers.  It may be different that you hoped for but you are here!  It’s not the end of the world, it’s not fair  in your eyes but it is a lot better than many others may be facing.

I wish you all the best as you adapt to a new life.

Terry

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

May 11, 2012. 7:10am Jeep Wrangler turns into the path of me on my motorcycle and hits me head on at 45mph.  Ambulance takes me to hospital followed by helicopter transport to major trauma center 50 miles away.  Four months in hospitals.  Outcome-permanently paralyzed from the waist down, right leg completely amputated.  Employer cancels my employment as I cannot meet job requirements. Insurance will not insure me now that I’m a risk.  Can’t live in existing home due to layout wont support my new disability, have to sell and find and modify a ranch style house.  Have to sell my 1964 Plymouth with 49k miles, my small collection of automobilia, tools and more things than you can imagine at fire sale values, including car and house.  No time to wait for fair offers or negotiate better prices.

Life is not fair as I think as this happening.  I was 60 when the accident happened, just turned 67 last week.

Why am I telling you this?  Life goes ON!  Yes you had setback and yes your car did not sell at the point you wanted but you are alive and you can make the best of it if you choose.  What happened with your heath and your car is over!  You have the opportunity to continue to live and enjoy what it offers.  It may be different that you hoped for but you are here!  It’s not the end of the world, it’s not fair  in your eyes but it is a lot better than many others may be facing.

I wish you all the best as you adapt to a new life.

Terry

Thanks Terry.  The doctor told my wife he gave me another 100,000 miles <grin>.  My family doctor told me this morning that the blockage was severe.  Maybe I only had a few more days or weeks to live and found it by accident.  I'd never seen a Cardiologist in all my 80+ years.  The money I get from the car can be invested with my other savings and if I do live that much longer amount to what the car was worth.  My friend Matt Hinson tells me it never was worth what I thought.  I've been in AACA since 1962 and read Motor Trend as a teenager.  I know what it should have been worth, but maybe Matt is correct that the bottom has dropped out of thirties and forties cars and I waited to long.  In any case, I'm ahead that I have one less car for my family to deal with.  And, I'm thankful to be alive; although I'm feeling pretty poorly right now.  You are a beacon of light Terry.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I was finally able to communicate with the world after all the tubes and hoses were removed, I felt like the end had to be near and I was just waiting to die.  To say I felt terrible would be an understatement.  I asked my wife, in the little breath I could muster,  if she knew that I must be dying and if she had all the preparation done that would be needed.  You can imagine my utter surprise when she said I was actually improving quite well and I would soon be transferred to a rehab facility to learn how to adapt to my new normal.  I guess the take away is if you are not feeling the best is not unusual and it may be I good thing.   It’s not an easy road, and it will have a few bumps along the way but the body is marvelous in its ability to heal.  With all my heart I hope your travels on the road of life are great.

Terry

• Like 3

Terry, I am sorry for  what you have gone through but admire your grit.  Feel bad for my good friend Earl but your words and others are right.  He will feel much better in time. I survived my heart attack and have three stents now to add to the metal in my body.  As we age it does not become a picnic.  Going to think about you the next time I bellyache!

Terry................I applaud you for your courage and determination. I am also 67 and I honestly don't think that I could have such a positive outlook on life if that had happened to me. One of my brothers was in a serious motorcycle accident in 1978 when he was 25 when a woman made a left turn in front of him and he hit the side of her car and flew over it and landed on his head (no helmet) which resulted in a fractured skull, broken neck and broken shoulder. They had to remove a piece of his skull so the swelling wouldn't cause any serious brain damage which was pretty new technology at the time. The broken neck wasn't discovered until 10 years later when he saw a chiropractor about a sore neck and back and x-rays were taken. (The chiropractor said he was incredibly lucky that he wasn't paralyzed and took the x-rays to a convention to show other chiropractors and tell them my brother's story.) I had a motorcycle at the time and sold it shortly after this happened. They're a blast to ride on sunny and warm days but there are just too many clueless idiots in cars who don't seem to be able to see them. I was wondering if the Jeep driver that hit you ever apologized for this. (My brother never heard from the woman who caused his accident.) Thanks again for sharing your story with us. You are most definitely a class act with an outstanding attitude....

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)
  • Like 2

No, never heard from the other driver.  It’s a long story with many twists and turn in the final outcome with a lot of lawyer involvement and unexpected critical errors in the official accident investigation, the most outstanding being I suffered minor to moderate injuries.  Hate to see what is considered a major injury!  I had been driving motorcycles  for nearly 40 years, first real accident in all that time.  

Thank you all for your support and kind words.  I want Earl to know that we understand what he is feeling right now and that we support him as his life changes in a new direction.  At times it’s hard to imagine there is light at the end of what seems like a long dark tunnel but there is, it might take a while to get there but it will.  You guys helped me, even if you never knew you were doing it.  I hope I can return the favor.

• Like 2