Teens assembly line

nzcarnerd

An interesting assembly line photo. The cars are quite big I think - seven rim bolts.

I don't recognise the hubcaps.

The engine looks to be a monobloc side valve six with internal inlet manifolding - and I presume the pipe over the top brings exhaust heat to the carb.

The transmission is bolted to the engine and there is a starter motor. Also a distinctive front engine mount.

I reckon the date is 1916 to 1920 - ish.

Presumably one of the bigger makers of the time as they have a moving line.

Assemly line teens.jpg

I'll bet wheel lugs will eventually solve it. What gets 7 wheel lugs? Even big Locomobiles have 6. Ok, a Packard Twin 6 has 8, but that still isn't 7.....

I was also wondering about the white tires. Was 1914 about the last? I was thinking 1916, but I really don't know..

Looking at the starter being mounted backwards on the bellhousing plus the holes in the bellhousing, carburetor mounted directly on the passenger side of the block with its heat tube over the top of the engine to the stove on the exhaust manifold on the drivers side, oil level gauge on the side of block plus the front motor mount casting, it looks alot like 1916 - 17 Chalmers model 6-30. 

3 hours ago, kbeach said:

Looking at the starter being mounted backwards on the bellhousing plus the holes in the bellhousing, carburetor mounted directly on the passenger side of the block with its heat tube over the top of the engine to the stove on the exhaust manifold on the drivers side, oil level gauge on the side of block plus the front motor mount casting, it looks alot like 1916 - 17 Chalmers model 6-30. 

The 7 rim bolt pattern is also a match for Chalmers.

2 hours ago, Stude17 said:

I think the six versus seven rim bolts thing may be a year difference - or perhaps a difference of wheel maker?  Seen in Studebakers too?

2 hours ago, Stude17 said:

The relatively plain hex hubcap on the Chalmers looks fairly close to a match.

I googled images for a 1917 Chalmers engine and found this. Carburetor is on the left side. Jugs cast in pairs were used up through at least 1915 but could not find a photo of a 16 engine. The same engine was used, at least to my knowledge up through 1922. I'll keep looking...

Frank

chalmers17.jpg

As I study the original photo, could the image be the generator with the distributor mounted to the back, rather than the carburetor? If so, Chalmers is still a good match... Also, note the height of the block above what might be the generator...

Frank

chalmers17a.jpg

Edited by oldford (see edit history)