Sign in to follow this  
jsgun

Pricing a Riviera for sale

Recommended Posts

How would you price a Riviera for sale, when it's partially apart? I understand it devalues it, but how can I determine by how much? It's a fairly loaded car, but the interior is disassembled and the wiring upgraded but not completed. I can't find anything online to compare it to. Would you just list it best offer and hope for the best? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I see it's a California car. So, that's a plus. Still a lot of work to put together. I could've restored 2 vintage P/U Trucks for what it takes to do a Riviera. Put a time to what it takes to put it together and 2X it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You won’t find anything to compare as all basket cases are different due to many variables. Unless the car has an outstanding attribute say like an excellent paint job on a rust free body, rebuilt engine, GS, dual quads, all chrome replated, etc it can be tough to find a buyer for anywhere near what the car would be worth finished. For example let’s say a complete car is valued at $12k. With interior gutted and major wiring work it could easily devalue to $2400 unless there are highly attractive attributes to offset the labor needed. 

Probably just advertise as best offer for a couple months and see what response you get. Or try eBay with a reserve set at lowest price you would accept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just figure out what you are willing to take that will minimize your losses. Advertise it at that amount, or a little more, and see how you do. Be careful not to scare off potential buyers with the offering. They don't usually come back.

 

The, very few, times I have been in a position where I even considered an un-priced car where an offer was requested I asked the owner what they would buy if they had extra cash. I remember looking at a Cadillac Fleetwood once and asking that question. The guy said he would put a roof on the back addition of his house. I asked how much that would cost. "About $2400" the guy told me. I said "OK, I'd pay you enough to do that."

 

What would you do with the cash? That will help you figure out a price.

 

Last week I sold a garage door I decided not to use. The buyer offered me a lower number. I said " Naw, I'm going to use the money to buy three 8' LED lights for the garage and will have to kick in another $20 as it is now". "OK" he handed me the money.

 

You can't price project cars objectively. The buyer has other motivations. Just figure out a reasonable thing you'd trade it for, how much the value of that items is, and you have your price.

 

Thinking about it, that's how I have been selling stuff for years.

Bernie

 

Oh, the Cadillac. He said he would consider the offer. I drove the whole 90 miles home hoping he wouldn't call. Luckily, he didn't. (read that as take the offer).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My HOA sent a letter saying they were going to tow cars, and historically they want my Riv gone because it doesn't run. The multi-millionaire property owner thinks it's a eyesore, even though it's covered. I spoke with management and talked them down, so crisis averted. I was off work sick for two months, so bills are piling up too. I've decided to keep it as long as I can. 

 

I am curious for arguments sake, on what the possible value could be. It's a 64 Riviera, lots of options but nothing rare. It was partially restored by the previous owner who lost interest because of the shoddy paint work and wiring issues. The car is complete (other than 3 small pieces of trim), the whole interior is disassembled. The engine is supposedly rebuilt, but no paperwork. I believe it because the gaskets were unpainted, and it's spotless inside. I've since repainted the engine AMC teal. The accessories are currently removed. New parts: Facet "Gold Flo" electric fuel pump, wiring, rubber lines, and Revolution Electronics pump controller; Street Demon 750 elec choke carb, Mallory fuel pressure regulator and hoses; Pertronix 3 ignition module, coil and wiring; Powermaster XS Torque mini starter with 00 gauge wiring, Powermaster 140A alternator, breaker, and 2 gauge wiring; FlowKooler high volume water pump; aluminum 4 core large tube radiator with shroud and electric fans (don't remember the brand, not installed), dual chamber master cylinder (not installed). Wheels are 64 Wildcat, missing one center and the rest are rough. Brakes looked rebuilt.

 

Window regulators were cleaned, new motors, and not installed yet. Side glass is newly seated with tape. Added power vent windows, but not wired. I have a bunch of extra window switches. I have a hundred LBS of wire and new hoses. Fuse box was rusted from leaking windshield, so it was replaced with aircraft breakers (all tested working), and an industrial contactor (relay) was added to get the load off the switch. Almost all that wiring is completed. Bad stuff: Rear window opening is missing whole bottom ledge. Windshield is rusted at top, but not all the way through. That's the only known rust. Paint is rough, clearcoat is sunburnt in places. I think that's it. Thanks for any info and opinions.814482066_frontps.jpg.916b2bc9c9dcc2234ec2b6ecc5455496.jpg1996848848_reards.jpg.be42f4d827c5c487ecd7e48df6076420.jpgInterior3.jpg.fc3077344b47966e05103f6cd10981ec.jpgbreakersinstalled.jpg.615b51677b2f95d5782db57f08fa3501.jpg1071946717_nailheadtealshaker.jpg.216c855e4801def6c08e7cac28267d29.jpg431573875_wildcatwheel.jpg.1bd3bdfd88d94c2925aa193e27d47f6b.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Video of it running before I started work on it. Dash was out, trying to figure out what was going on with the wiring. Power steering fluid was low. Mufflers are 12" glasspacks, way too loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing you could do for a couple of reasons. 1) They're not stock to a 64 Riviera, so it's  no big deal to you, and 2) it could be a huge deal to someone owning a 64 Wildcat are the center caps for the wheels.  1964 only, Wildcat only, rally wheel only.  Could be worth a small fortune to that particular Wildcat owner.  If the wheels are the 64 wheels that go with the caps, really big deal.  1964 only, Wildcat only.  If you're interested, you'll have to remove a wheel from the car and see if there are signs of a register ring having been removed.  Hidden treasure right under your nose.  Assuming that you have all four, but any number is still worth something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to your original question.  My 64, in my garage, is basically in a bunch of pieces as I slowly get it back together, but Hagerty has it insured for $15,000. And each year the insured value goes up according to a scale they have.  As I make significant progress, I advise them and they adjust accordingly in addition to the inflationary figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 2:49 AM, jsgun said:

How would you price a Riviera for sale, when it's partially apart? I understand it devalues it, but how can I determine by how much? It's a fairly loaded car, but the interior is disassembled and the wiring upgraded but not completed. I can't find anything online to compare it to. Would you just list it best offer and hope for the best? 

Sir, you have a challenge. The unschooled buyer would not know much about your offer. The schooled buyer would be looking for a price value proposition. Advertising source is going to be important so you can reach a targeted audience. Just my opinion.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Back to your original question.  My 64, in my garage, is basically in a bunch of pieces as I slowly get it back together, but Hagerty has it insured for $15,000. And each year the insured value goes up according to a scale they have.  As I make significant progress, I advise them and they adjust accordingly in addition to the inflationary figure.

Ed, Would not a home owners rider protect a project vehicle not on the street. Just a thought regarding money saving.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, Would not a home owners rider protect a project vehicle not on the street. Just a thought regarding money saving.

Turbinator

Nope.  Had to fight with them for a long time to get them to cover the collection of odd and rare parts I've accumulated.  They said that they weren't insuring a "salvage yard." Only after I showed them that everything was boxed, labeled, and shelved did they comply.  I think my neighbors would be the first to let me know if I  were destroying the looks of the neighborhood. IMG_20190416_170435915.thumb.jpg.aeee7dc30e4dfbcb5c882dde20c45fb3.jpg

 

The other day I got an offer from Hagerty to expand my coverage to include these extra parts.  I need to run the number$ then get back to them.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 7:47 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Just figure out what you are willing to take that will minimize your losses. Advertise it at that amount, or a little more, and see how you do. Be careful not to scare off potential buyers with the offering. They don't usually come back.

 

....

I sold my 67 mustang earlier this year, and felt like I got burned on it. But it was the best offer anyone gave after 8 months of being on CL. Let it go for $3000, the cost of the aluminum heads I put on it a year prior. I'm in $9K on the Riviera (about another $1k in parts), letting it go for less would be too painful.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RivNut said:

One thing you could do for a couple of reasons. 1) They're not stock to a 64 Riviera, so it's  no big deal to you, and 2) it could be a huge deal to someone owning a 64 Wildcat are the center caps for the wheels.  1964 only, Wildcat only, rally wheel only.  Could be worth a small fortune to that particular Wildcat owner.  If the wheels are the 64 wheels that go with the caps, really big deal.  1964 only, Wildcat only.  If you're interested, you'll have to remove a wheel from the car and see if there are signs of a register ring having been removed.  Hidden treasure right under your nose.  Assuming that you have all four, but any number is still worth something.  

 

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Back to your original question.  My 64, in my garage, is basically in a bunch of pieces as I slowly get it back together, but Hagerty has it insured for $15,000. And each year the insured value goes up according to a scale they have.  As I make significant progress, I advise them and they adjust accordingly in addition to the inflationary figure.

 

I'd like to sell those wheels actually. The chrome is in excellent shape, but the caps are rough. There's no register rings on the inside centers. I bought a set of extremely rare Kelsey Hayes "Stripper" wheels for the car, but can't currently afford tires. 

 

That's an interesting valuation, I appreciate the info. This is my dream car, i've wanted it for 20+ years, and I plan on owning it the rest of my life if I can. But it's good to have an idea of it's value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Sir, you have a challenge. The unschooled buyer would not know much about your offer. The schooled buyer would be looking for a price value proposition. Advertising source is going to be important so you can reach a targeted audience. Just my opinion.

Turbinator

 

That's my biggest concern. To the average joe, it's an interesting car, but they have no idea about Rivs. Luckily in socal, the low rider, custom guys, and old car buffs like them and there's a bunch of them around here. I appreciate your opinion, good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jsgun said:

 

 

I'd like to sell those wheels actually. The chrome is in excellent shape, but the caps are rough. There's no register rings on the inside centers. I bought a set of extremely rare Kelsey Hayes "Stripper" wheels for the car, but can't currently afford tires. 

 

That's an interesting valuation, I appreciate the info. This is my dream car, i've wanted it for 20+ years, and I plan on owning it the rest of my life if I can. But it's good to have an idea of it's value.

The caps may be rough but THEY ARE THERE.  If there are no register rings or no sign of any being chisled out, you may have a set of rare 64 wheels as well. Some Wildcat owner would mortgage his wife for them.  You might be able to afford those tires after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, jsgun said:

 

That's my biggest concern. To the average joe, it's an interesting car, but they have no idea about Rivs. Luckily in socal, the low rider, custom guys, and old car buffs like them and there's a bunch of them around here. I appreciate your opinion, good point.

Old School ( old men like me)

low riders know what you have. They may not have the skills to bring it together, but they probably have the $$$$ for restoration shop to put it on the road. My guess is the older guys are your best suspects to turn into prospects.

Good Luck

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Rivnut on the wheels.  I have them on my 64 Riviera, same caps too.  The caps should be black around a chrome Wildcat though.  Hard to find new Wildcat caps, but I believe the 65 Riviera caps fit the wheels fine.  A good way to upgrade your 64 with rally wheels.  I thought there were people on the forum that want to trade me wheels, so there may be someone interested in the wheels on the forum

 

 20190708_193447_resized.thumb.jpg.fa843c730acd84d15d68aac57b45e3c7.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2019 at 4:44 PM, RivNut said:

The caps may be rough but THEY ARE THERE.  If there are no register rings or no sign of any being chisled out, you may have a set of rare 64 wheels as well. Some Wildcat owner would mortgage his wife for them.  You might be able to afford those tires after all.

Wait!!...you can mortgage your wife?? Why didnt I think of that.....??

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Why didnt I think of that.....??

 

It all comes down to interest...  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this