Mystery box mounted on '65 Riv fenderwell

JJ62

Hello all,

I was wondering if some of the more, uh, "mature types" would know what this is. There's a transformer, tube and what appears to be a capacitor inside, and power resistors outside wired to a pushbutton under the dash.

Thanks,

Jim

Riv box 1.jpg

Riv box 2.jpg

The label is not readable and there are no other markings except the date "Nov 29, 1955" on the inside panel of the other half of the box. See picture. The output of it must have something to do with the terminals on the top of the box. There are only 3 wires, one for 12 volts and the other 2 went to the switch. The silver can is a "vibrator", not a capacitor.

Riv box 3.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a power supply for some higher voltage widget.  The vibrator creates pulsed DC or AC.  The transformer jacks up the voltage.  The tube is a rectifier tube which converts the voltage back to DC.

Or not.

What's the number on the tube (e.g. 6X4)?  Do you have a picture of the switch?

On 6/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, JJ62 said:

I was wondering if some of the more, uh, "mature types" would know what this is.

It could be an early travel vibrator. The new ones plug into the cigarette lighter. I think there are four plugs in the back of a new Buick Enclave. In 1955 only one would probably been the talk of the town.

• Haha 1

Very simple.....this was an early gas mileage improvement device. The microwaves created by this device caused an atmospheric inversion

at the carburetor throat that enabled your Riviera to get 30 miles to the gallon.Somebody at Exxon bought the company that made it out because

it was bad for bidness.!

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy. It's a 12AU7A tube. Attached is a picture of it and the switch.

"This tube finds use as a phase-inverter/splitter in push-pull amplifier circuits in ac/dc radio equipment and in many diversified applications such as multivibrators or oscillators in industrial control devices."

Riv box switch tube.jpg

On 6/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Very simple.....The microwaves created by this device caused an atmospheric inversion

at the carburetor throat that enabled your Riviera to get 30 miles to the gallon.Somebody at Exxon bought the company that made it out cuz it was bad for bidness

Yes…very simple…

DA3B2C3E-7DF8-47F5-AFAB-33FA8E2386BF.gif.14408c859474fcadb9f24a212217bc6b.gif

I got a response from my co-worker...I took out the images he had because they did not show in when i cut/pasted.

Chris,

It might be the high voltage power supply for old tube radios (but I don’t understand the push button unless it had a latching power function.

If that “capacitor” is really a vibrator,

which is a mechanical device to make and break electrical contacts to create a varying voltage to be used in the transformer to boost the output voltage to achieve the high voltages for what was called the B+ voltages to run vacuum tubes.

Here is a typical schematic:

The tube (the full wave rectifier shown in the middle above) could be what is now rep[laced by high voltage diodes.

Here is a link to more information:

https://radioremembered.org/vpwrsup.htm