Why can't this site allow a Cut & Paste?

What is the reason for not allowing a simple Cut & Paste of a related article from a Google Search? Time after time I'll find a related story in the latest case a HEMMINGS article on Citroen and the AACA Forum will not accept it. All the other automotive sites I visit allow it. Why should I bother? Bob 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

could you please share the step by step AACA approved and accepted method of doing this?

The usual method just about everywhere is to select the URL in the address bar and either right click on it and then click on "copy", or press Ctrl-c. Then go to the place you want the link and press Ctrl-v, or right click and then click on "paste".

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

The usual method just about everywhere is to select the URL in the address bar and either right click on it and then click on "copy", or press Ctrl-c. Then go to the place you want the link and press Ctrl-v, or right click and then click on "paste".

Agreed, simple procedure.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tinindian said:

1937hd45, Your initial post indicated "cut and paste". You can't "Cut" text from a website but you can "Copy" it.

If you want to just copy and paste some text from an article such as this one, instead of posting the link to the entire article, you can do that just as easy as copying and pasting the link. I have no idea why you are having trouble copying and pasting anything onto the forum. Here is the text from the above link, which I simply copied and pasted here:

Patina-rich 1968 Citroen HY van for sale on Hemmings.com. From the seller’s description:

VIN# 5214646

The engine is a 1.9Liter mounted to its 3-speed transmission. Very well running engine that has been properly maintained by its previous owner. The HY Van is all original, and is ready to be painted any color you want or leave it with its vintage look. You can also wrap these vans with your design. Very solid van in and out. Floors are in great shape. Not a fixer upper.…This car will definitely get lots of attention & question at the cars and coffee meets.

This truck is in great condition and very comfortable & pleasant to be in. The Body is straight as an arrow. All doors, hood are all aligned like they should from factory.

I believe there is also another way it can be done - if you highlight the info you need to copy, then copy and past it into a Word document, you can then copy and paste from that.  Just did that from the AACA Library website - see below.

Library News

New Advertisement Site

Visit the AACA Library’s brand new Advertisement website. Once there you can browse ads from all eras featuring many different manufacturers and even accessory brands. These ads were one man’s collection that encompassed almost 12,000 ads. In the future we will be scanning ads from the AACA’s main collection to fill the holes that are missing to build up the online collection even more.  So if a marque is missing or a little light, don’t fret as it should be filled in future as this will be an evolving process that will be updated frequently throughout the year. Enjoy!

. Terry

5 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Failed.

Sometimes, not always, what you are trying to copy does not "COPY" correctly.  You may have to have your cursor in the highlited area for your computer tp copy it correctly. This has happen to some of our laptops that we intentionally have not upgraded software on because of customied software using binary sorts that the newer windows software will not support.  These are usually computers with softwaare olded than windows 7 -- yes it is still very usualful software and the custom stuff is not worth redoing to woth with new systems. 

Dave S  

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Failed.

I'm afraid the problem isn't this website.  I just use the mouse to highlight and right click.

Here's a copy/paste from this website (I added the italics after pasting):

Thank you Tinindian, could you please share the step by step AACA approved and accepted method of doing this? I want to link a Hemmings feature on a 200MPH Citroen Bonneville LRS car. 

Bob 

Here's a copy/paste from another website (note that I cannot copy/paste a graphic directly - I have to paste the text first and then copy the URL of the JPG and use the Insert other media button in the lower right):

Standard Motor Products PS127
NAPA ECHLIN OP6618
Airtex 1S6552
BWD S369
AC Delco D1825A

Here's the sender:

31sMQDp5pZL.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

What is the reason for not allowing a simple Cut & Paste of a related article from a Google Search? Time after time I'll find a related story in the latest case a HEMMINGS article on Citroen and the AACA Forum will not accept it. All the other automotive sites I visit allow it. Why should I bother? Bob 

Is this the article, Bob?

A 200 MPH Citroen SM drops in on the Mullin Museum, for a limited time

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/02/05/a-200-mph-citroen-sm-drops-in-on-the-mullin-museum-for-a-limited-time/

(To paste the link here, I clicked on the URL at the top of my browser to select it, then copied it, then clicked in this text field to place my insertion point, then pasted to place the link at that insertion point.

To paste the first two paragraphs of the article's text below, I dragged my cursor over those parapraphs to highlight (select) them, then copied the selection, and then pasted the copied text here after setting a new insertion point in this field.

"The path to Bonneville’s 200 MPH Club typically doesn’t involve a front-drive French coupe powered by a Maserati-built V-6. Citroën SM enthusiast and expert Jerry Hathaway thinks differently than most, however, and for a limited time his weird and wonderful Citroën SM Bonneville record-holder, along with its one-of-a-kind tow rig, will be on display as part of the Citroen: The Man, The Marque, The Mystique exhibit at the Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard, California.

Hathaway’s love for Citroën–and specifically Citroën SMs–evolved out of boredom and routine. Tired of doing alignments and routine suspension work on Buicks, Hathaway took to the intricacies and eccentricities of the French brand when his employer, a Los Angeles Buick dealer, added Citroën as a second line. He soon became the go-to mechanic for Citroën SMs, which would later put him in the right place, at the right time, to acquire his own Citroën franchise. This would evolve into Citroën SM World, a shop that’s long been regarded as the premier service and restoration facility for Citroën SMs in North America."

You posted, regarding Spinneyhill's procedure (which is exactly what I used), "Failed." If so, you're doing something wrong or leaving out a step.

Bob, I've offered to assist you before with your complaints regarding posting to this forum more than once, but so far you have failed to respond to me. May I inquire as to why are unwilling to accept my help?

Regarding images seen on a page that you want to insert into a post here, the easiest way is to right-click on the image and save a copy to your desktop, then insert that image into the post here. If there isn't a right-click 'Save Image As' (or similar) option that pops up, take a screenshot and crop if necessary then insert that screenshot image into the post. Keep in mind that this forum's software will only accept images in JPG and PNG formats.

1971citroen.jpg

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Failed.

So how are you selecting the URL? The URL is the window with the address in it, beginning "http." You need to select all of it. I only have to click once in it, but if that doesn't work, you can click three times in sequence, quickly. Then Ctrl-C or right click on the selection, "Copy."

For graphics from the www, most of the time now I just use the "copy image" option in the right click menu and then Ctrl-V in my post and the image will turn up at the cursor, if it is less than 9.77 Mb and there are no other graphics earlier in my post to take the total over 9.77 Mb.

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks to all that have tried to help. Some day when there is nothing in my life to do I'll give them a try. Still don't understand why this site is different that all the others.

Bob 

Just curious, what type of computer are you using? What operating system, what browser, anything else you can tell us might help someone understand the problem you are having. From what I am observing, the problem is not on this site. It has to be something odd causing an issue for you with the particular hardware and software you are using.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, gwells said:

Is this the article, Bob?

1971citroen.jpg

Yes, That is the car and feature I tried to attach to the Citroen 100 year Anniversary feature. Our oldest daughter and I got to see that display, interesting, but I had hoped the full Bugatti collection would have been there. Bob