Studebaker Buyer's Tips

MurkyBeef

Hello all,

I am just getting in to classic cars, my dad bought a 1972 MGB a while ago and has been trying to get me into the older vehicles for a while. I really like the look of the Studebaker cars and based on my research they are good cars. I have very little knowledge about them and will be looking around for a project car, I was wondering what tips you all would have for new buyers, what to look out for, what parts are hard to find/fix/replace and any other tips you might have. I am really excited to start restoring one of these classics so any and all knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

-Owen

Welcome to the crazy hobby of old cars. Best advice I’ve ever heard is buy the best car you can afford or find!  It saves $ and time in the long run. If you want a Studebaker join the Studebaker Drivers club. They may have a chapter in your area. Where are you located?  

Dont be afraid to ask questions on the forum as most of the people that know what they are doing ( I am not in that group) are very helpful. 

Remember have fun, don’t get discouraged by problems that just take time to solve. 

Dave S 

• Like 2

I understand your fascination with Studebaker. I bought a 49 Commander 25 years ago. I’ve since sold it and bought a 53 hardtop 6 years ago. It’s being painted right now and will be back on the road soon. 

I will echo @SC38DLS suggestions about joining the Studebaker Drivers Club. The forum is free to join.

You may want to to narrow your search by finding a specific model you lean towards. Studebaker had a wide range of styling through the years. The parts and knowledge are well supported thanks to the many enthusiasts. 

Good luck and keep us posted if you make a purchase. 

@MurkyBeef no particular year or model stands out as being problematic apart from age. Obviously the older the car the harder it is to find parts. You’ve picked a good brand to buy. The broader car community has never really embraced cars outside of the big 3 so Studes can be bought for much less. 

The R series trucks are really great looking trucks. Little hard to find but with any buy, be patient.

My personal favorites are the 53-54 C or K models. C models are coupes with a B pillar. K models are hardtop without the pillar at the door. They also built supercharged Hawks and Avantis. If you get a chance to sit in an Avanti it will make  you feel like your in a cockpit. They’re quite spectacular. 

Have a few options and buy the best complete vehicle you can find. The Studebaker community is a tight community. Put the word on the forum and you’ll get an honest opinion about the vehicle. Try to familiarize yourself with the different models so you can narrow your choices down. If you get on the forum my name is Pancho. I can help you there too. 

Happy to have you on board with an old vehicle. You’ll find yourself cursing while having a smile on your face. 

• Like 1

To give you an idea of Stufebaker parts. I have a 38 State Commander. Totally rebuilt front suspension, brakes, trans, engine wiring harness and rubber around doors. The only part I know that is unobtinium is the rear vent window rubber. The set I have must have been the last set available. A few guys rebuilding an SC have asked for my address so they can come and take mine off the car. I use this 81 year old as my daily driver. 

Have fun

Dave S

3B6E1589-503A-4AC6-8134-CA1A94C1B613.jpeg

23F0D49B-B56D-40D9-9158-84FED7E4C59D.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Champion name was used from the 30s through the 60s, you might want to narrow your year range!  or not. 😁

• Like 1

Not a Studebaker owner but my impression is that they were a high style car and a leader in innovations like the newest body styling,  V8 engine, auto trans, etc in the forties and  fifties. V8 engines were very rugged and long lived except for a tendency to leak at the rear main seal, a common affliction of cars of the era. Starting in 1953 the bodies were rather flimsy and tinny. I think they corrected this about the time the Lark came out in 59  but some people think otherwise. Auto trans developed in cooperation with Borg Warner and was also used by Ford AMC and many other makes especially in England.

The Champion six dates back to the thirties and is reliable and economical, if not very exciting from a performance standpoint.

Chassis is quite conventional with brakes, rear axle and trans from outside suppliers. Front suspension was practically unchanged from 1952 to the end of production. There used to be a very large horde of NOS parts at the old Studebaker factory, I believe a lot of this was junked a few years ago. The Studebaker people can no doubt fill you in on the parts situation.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Actually saw an article a week or so ago about another round of deleting excessive inventory, as they are moving everything out of South Bend to Hope IN. The comment was why stock 600 pieces of a part you sell one a year......

Truly amazing that so many parts are still around for a car that went out of production in 1966 model year.  You can still get NOS heads for most of the six cylinder engines.  Can't find those for a Corvair very easily!😉  

• Like 1

@SC38DLS @Pancho's ride @mike6024 @nickelroadster @Frank DuVal @Rusty_OToole

Thank you all for the responses, now I'm even more excited to get into this! After doing more research I will probably be looking for an Avanti, they are a bit odd looking but I like it a lot. If you have any suggestions on places to check for rust or other issues on these cars when I go to look at some of them, I will greatly appreciate it. 

9 minutes ago, MurkyBeef said:

After doing more research I will probably be looking for an Avanti, they are a bit odd looking but I like it a lot. If you have any suggestions on places to check for rust or other issues on these cars when I go to look at some of them, I will greatly appreciate it. 

Doesn't an Avanti have a Fibreglass body? That's not to say any steel/iron in the car wouldn't be subject to rust!

The "Hog Troughs" do rust out, and are now made by an aftermarket supplier of Studebaker sheetmetal.

63/64 are South Bend Studebaker produced vehicles with Studebaker drivetrains. Later ones are made by various companies up to 2006, mostly GM engines. All welcome in the Studebaker Drivers' Club.😉

As @Frank DuVal mentioned, the hog troughs are the main spot they rust. These structural elements are under the door and serve as the rocker panels would do on a steel car.  Classic enterprises sells the troughs and many other parts for the Avanti I and II. The frame is the obvious area to look for rust.  Also, the A pillar is another place to look. This is the hardest part to spot because it’s covered with vinyl. But if you run your hand down the inside of the pillar and find it to be unusally bumpy underneath it might be a bad sign. Keep in mind that steel will expand as it rusts so it will show itself even if hidden by the vinyl. Look around the windshield to see if there is lifting or cracking. 

If you’re looking at an R2 Avanti (supercharged) make sure it’s an original. Run the numbers through the forum. They’ll tell you right away if it was born with the R2 specs. As Frank said, the 63-64 are the most desirable years. 63 has the one year only round headlights.  Subsequent years had a square bucket with the round light within it. They were built on the Lark chassis so suspension parts are easy to find.  Avantis are getting some attention lately. I don’t know what your budget allows for but I would buy a car from someone within the club. A driven vehicle is preferable to one that has been languishing in a backyard or garage. 

As a former Avanti owner be very picky when it comes to rust. Have it checked expertly before laying out the cash. I was hoodwinked by a charming dude telling lies and a car covered up and surrounded by lots of junk in an old garage less than 5 minutes from the old Studebaker factory in Hamilton Ontario.

Follow the advice from the above posts and join the SDC. I'm a member and just the monthly magazine "Turning Wheels" is well worth the price!

Below is my former 1963 GT Hawk which is my favorite Stude model. Some day I'll have another when finances allow.

studhk 002.jpg

• Thanks 1

MurkyBeef, Studebakers are wonderful cars. There are plenty  of available parts,  and the folks in the  Studebaker Club are friendly and very helpful. I own a 1949 Champion with overdrive, and it is a great little car. No matter what model you choose, Avanti, Lark, or  any of the earlier models, you will not be disappointed. John

• Thanks 1