6 Volt Timing Lights & parts...

philipj

Looking to purchase a Sears 2168 timing light or Allstate 9080... Wonder if you guys ever used them or know where to get parts for them... Also trying to figure out if they could be used with a 12 volt system... I almost want to say yes due to the configuration, but I am not sure...

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

DSCN1522.JPG

DSCN1524.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

This is as basic as you can get.  Basically a neon flash bulb with insulated leads similar to spark lug wires with possibly a resistor from one lead with the other lead on the resistor connected to one of the neon bulb.  Ok for any battery voltage, 6 or 12 volts.   If this were a powered timing light it would have likely been made for 12 volt system.    Powered timing light gives a brighter flash than this one shown here.   

Joe, BCA 33493

OR (what I do) is power a 12V inductive (clamps around plug wire) timing light with ANY 12V battery, including a small sealed gate opener/home security system backup battery.  The inductive feature also allows us to check each wire just before each spark plug to determine if any wire is intermittent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, philipj said:

Looking to purchase a Sears 2168 timing light or Allstate 9080..

Unless there is some specific reason for Sears, you might want to expand your search to just "neon timing light". These were a common standard item back in the day, and probably existed in a gazillion brands. They all looked about like the Sears ones in your pictures. In the 80s, I bought one from an employer who probably hadn't used it since the 60s.

Wonder if you guys ever used them or know where to get parts for them

They work fine and are not subject to any intermittent triggering like a light with electronics inside. They are however too dim. You might need to use it in the dark. The main critical component is a neon bulb, and it is unlikely to be bad. I don't know how anyone could ever put enough hours on one to wear the bulb out. If that happens somehow, post a picture of the bulb. I'll bet we can figure it out.

Also trying to figure out if they could be used with a 12 volt system

Yes

I have been using Grimy's method, with a 12v light and an external 12v battery. It is much brighter this way. This came up on the forum once before, and I think that the one I have been using all these years may be the same one Grimy has. If you go this route, stick with something simple and cheap. My dialback timing lights lock up when I try to use them on the 36 Pontiac.

Another reason for wanting to get something this basic is the size... The dipstick and starter motor are right on the way of you pointing a light straight, so this compact size would work better in that regard. Otherwise, with a newer light is more difficult to maneuver without getting all tangled up and bumping into things. I will certainly expand my search to "neon timing light" Thank you.

I used one of those for a long time when I was younger.  That will work on any voltage (6 or 12) because it just goes between the sparkplug & wire. The only problem that I had using it was depending on the spark output of the coil, the amount of light given off could be very little.  I was ecstatic when we go a powered inductive pick up timing light.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gave up on the weak small neon (?) early timing light years ago.  

I have a nice Sears 12V induction clip gun style light from the 70s.  Really bright. 

Works great on the 6V 1923 Buick.  I just roll the 12V lawn tractor over by the Buick and power the timing light with it and clip the inductive clip over #1 plug wire. 

That’s the easy part.  Removing all three floor boards and becoming a 6’6” contortionist to get to the timing mark mouse hole on the top of the bell housing is another matter.  All the more reason for a bright timing light working best for me. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

I guess I was on the poor side.  I just used some blackboard chalk to mark the timing marks on the crank pulley.  I still keep a stick of chalk in my tool box.

I also use chalk when working on a car I haven’t already marked with neon paint -because  the paint bottle, like some of my tools, like to play hide-and-seek, and may not be where I “left” them.🥴

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Paint bottle? White-Out! It's not just for correcting typewritten work anymore!😉

What's a typewritter?

There are military surplus timing lights that work on 6v, 12v, or 24v. The light itself looks like the little neon one, but is attached by its leads to a metal carrying case. It probably has a xenon flash tube inside like a modern light, otherwise it wouldn't need to be connected to the battery.

One sold on the forum fairly recently, an Auto-Test 13009a. They may exist in more than one brand.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I started out with one of the neon trimming lights very dim. Good thing about it was you could dangle it on  wires and get it close to the trimming marks.  For years we all used white touch up paint tubes .parts dept. Would give it away if it was an obsolete color of white or any light color.

Edited by Mikefit
Spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

My only inclination to use the old neon timing light is the size... I have used a modern 12 volt light connected to the 6 volt battery and works better than nothing, bu it is t is to long and cumbersome... I would trade working at night with an older more compact light that lets me get closer the flywheel port than have to fight with a new one. My personal preference. As for timing marks, a white paint pencil works great on the flywheel but there is no way to get close to front pulley on that 320 engine to put a mark that you can work with...

Edited by philipj (see edit history)