1948 Olds tires

deaddds

Looking to get new tires for my 48 76. Im wanting to go stock. Product brochure shows the 4 dr sedan with ww and all the other models as bw. So is ww correct or should it be a bw tire? Also, the tires on the car are 7.6x15. The brochure says tires are 6.5x16. Could these be interchanged or how do i know if these are correct rims? Are these with or without tubes? Thanks

Edited by deaddds
More info found (see edit history)

Your choice, the brochures were made to sell the cars and I would bet the WW tires were a dealer option that not many opted for. Post a side photo of your car and I'll bet you will get a lot of advice. Maybe someone will even photoshop it with and without whitewalls for our comparison.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

i believe all GM cars went from 16 inch wheels to 15 inch wheels starting in 1949, and tubeless tires were introduced in 1954, as 61polara said riveted wheels, which requires a rubber liner to protect the tubes. i have 1952 oldsmobile 98 15 x 6" wheels (4) and 1952 oldsmobile 88 15 x 5.5" wheels (2) for my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina restoration, i had the 6 olds wheels sand blasted and powder coated, now the wheels are airtight and my tubeless tires stay aired up. 

powder coated wheels 001.JPG

General tip for those buying new bias ply tires. Pump them up to 45 PSI for the first week or 2. This will help eliminate flat spots and thumping in the future. Afterwards deflate to 32 PSI or whatever you prefer, you will find the problem nearly eliminated. Unfortunately this only works on new tires, if they are months or years old it does not work.

If the car is left unused for weeks or months it is best to jack it up.

Back in 1959 my Dad had new tubeless tires installed on the original rims of his 1951 Chevy. There were no problems with air leaks.

Your Olds could have had the optional factory-installed Whitewall tires at a minor additional cost.

6 hours ago, deaddds said:

They are the bf goodrich silvertown tires. I will try driving to see if they round out. It felt really bumpy at 30mph and i didnt want to shake something loose or blow a tire.

Drive slow until they warm up. The flat spots should smooth out after you drive a block or 2. How much pressure? 32PSI may help.

You could check with Diamondback and see if their Auburn radial is available yet in 15-inch sizes. If so, that's what I would use.

C*ker has a nice-looking 15-inch bias-look radial that would appear fairly authentic on a car like yours--I reluctantly used them on my 1941 Cadillac 60 Special and was pleased with how convincing the illusion was. I didn't own the car long enough afterwards to determine if C*ker's usual quality issues were evident, but they were OK for the 100 miles or so that I used it before it was sold and the new owner has toured extensively in it without issues, so they're good tires. I believe I installed the 760R15 size which was closer to the original 700x15 these cars wore and should be a good fit for your Olds. The 800 and 820R15s seem too fat and the 710s were definitely too small. I also installed these without tubes, as I did on my 1941 Buick Limited limousine. If your wheels are in good shape and don't leak, you don't need tubes, which are just another failure point. Skip them if you can.

With tires, you get what you pay for and you'll probably find that the radials are not much more expensive than bias-ply, at least in WWW. If you're on a budget, a simple 700R15 truck radial with a blackwall will look just fine, too.

PS: Great looking Olds!

IMG_20170418_190316712a.thumb.jpg.e3262fe240b0d163d0a62a4d605a07dd.jpg IMG_20170418_190237559a.thumb.jpg.573dd65ad8bcdf389b707b8b9af1bc76.jpg

007.thumb.JPG.686151ec2d53387aeddc352795b03cbc.JPG 001.thumb.JPG.5179ef98481a8755653df916121586a5.JPG 006.thumb.JPG.193614139f714f57a194b59d1217cb3a.JPG

If I had a good set of bias ply tires that were thumping I would drive slowly until they warm up, if I didn't feel like doing that I would jack the car up so the tires clear the ground, and pump them up to 45PSI while it was in storage.

I would also consider making wooden ramps with the top cut to the contour of the tire and drive onto them while the car was not in use so they would stay round.  You could make them out of pieces of 2X6 lumber, cut to a suitable profile and laminated together to get the right thickness.