Completed car or needs some work?

R Walling

I have a 71 convertible for sale that is a good restored driver except it needs a top.

I think I have it priced right but no takers.

I am wondering if most buyers of this type of a car just want to buy a car without ever working on it v/s a hands on type of a guy. 

If that's all it needs to be "done" then I'd get it done. It moves it from a project to a turn key. If I were in the market for such a car I would assume that needing a top means there are other neglected projects in store. Of course all cars are ongoing projects in one way or another. But it's unusual to have a car that just needs one thing really only need one thing and I suspect your shoppers are thinking the same.

• Like 3

Roger, if it's a "good restored driver," do you mean specifically

that it drives well, or that it's a #3 condition driver-quality car?

An imperfect convertible top is a large and obvious item

that isn't expensive to redo.  I agree with Doug above,

that getting something obvious corrected or improved will

enhance your car's appeal to a buyer.

If you were selling your house, and it was sound and beautiful

except the paint was peeling in a few areas, wouldn't you want to

put your best foot forward and have those areas painted?

Beauty and immediate usefulness are good selling points.

IMHO, a car that needs a top isn't a "good restored driver" because in reality it can only be driven in warm and sunny days.    

I agree with the others - fix the top so the new owner can drive it without having to take it somewhere to have the top replaced immediately.

Bob

"Needs a top" can describe a wide range of conditions. My convertible has a 3/4" tear in the sail panel area and looks like it is 30 some years old. Replacing it is on my long list of things to do. (like maybe never). Spending a little time in the morning looking surprised in the bathroom mirror would probably be my alternative if I decided to sell it. "Oh! How'd that happen!"

Edit" Second thought, advertise it as Museum Condition.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Roger........the problem may not be the car..........just the price. While I have no idea of your cars value, usually decent cars priced at or near market value sell in a reasonable period of time. Ask yourself this question, how many people woke up today and want to spend XXXX dollars on a car just like mine. I don't know the market for cars built in the 1970's, bit my expectation is there is good supply of cars and probably more than one would realize. As far as value is concerned, you can't look at what you think it's worth, or what you have in it........its all about supply and demand..........a car that's is not in demand just isn't going to get as many calls, thus not as much money as some others......and we are not even talking about condition. I do think your asking is fair and observant but its best to know the micro market of what your trying to sell.........today most people want turn key cars..........I don't blame them, people are busy, and getting decent work done is difficult at best, as well as expensive. On rather common cars, Ebay may be the best way to sell it........list it for sale for a week with your price, put in the ad that if not sold by such and such a date it will go to a no reserve auction. The hard fact is a no reserve auction is the true value of the car........and one can take a terrible beating on the pocket book, but in the end, you did end up with a fair market price. Best of luck with your sale.......Ed

1 hour ago, Bob Hill said:

Oen thing I have noticed is tnat once cold weather kicks in and the car show season is over, the old car market suffers.  This might be a reason it isn't selling.

Bob

I was going to say the same thing, no the best time to sell a car, weather plus holidays are not in your favor for a productive sale

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, John348 said:

I was going to say the same thing, no the best time to sell a car, weather plus holidays are not in your favor for a productive sale

It is the difference between the new owner thinking "where am I going to take it" and "where am I going to store it".

• Like 1

In Florida the season is just starting.

Can  give a recent personal example. About a year ago I bought a pristine example of a retractible V-6/automagic for $7k. About a month ago I bought a "project car" same car line and style: runs/drives nice body/paint/no rust but some electrical and interior issues & needs serious detailing. DOHC-4 and five speed manual. $700. That is the difference between "needs nothing" and "needs some work".

ps not knowing what or where it is makes even a swag impossible.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John348 said:

That's for sure, Holidays are expensive. Come April would be when people who are getting a nice Income Tax Return might want to hit the car market and have time to prep the car for Show Time that starts getting active. Hopefully 2019  will be good weather. This year it was the wettest year on record and lots of Shows ended up getting cancelled or the turn outs were small .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

I think I have it priced right but no takers.

For whatever reason (s): bad top, bad market, bad time of year, unpopular marque, bad weather, bad color, bad ad, etc etc, etc ad infinitum, the obvious reason it's not selling is it's not priced "right" for the prevailing conditions. Either change the conditions, change the price or be prepared to wait it out.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As others asked, what is the make and model of

your 1971 convertible, Roger?

I have noticed that there is an ample supply of

1971-75 General Motors full-sized convertibles

(such as the Olds Delta 88 and Buick LeSabre);

and I perceive that values are actually going down

for those.  Some years are quite scarce, but they

don't attract attention more than the common ones.

Nice ones may be priced in the low teens.

If yours is one of those, it's one among many, and

I think you'll need to present it well.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)