1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

Today on the field. Current owner in his 80’s saw the car at age 11 and wait d 45 years for the owner to sell it. He didn’t hesitate. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Today on the field. Current owner in his 80’s saw the car at age 11 and wait d 45 years for the owner to sell it. He didn’t hesitate. 

I know the feeling. I had to wait from age 1 to 68 to buy my latest car. Didn’t see it at age 1 but was always hopeful. I didn’t hesitate either.😎

• Like 1

George,  You have baited the hook and I am sniffing around your story per above.  If you are up to it, share some vital pieces of the purchase story you refer to!  (But hold to the level of privacy you desire).  I had dreamed of a 48 Locmobile since I started on the 1909 Model L, (in 1977).  I still have the Model L in the progress status.  Having found one 1925 Locomobile 48 Limousine, and could see that I could swing a deal, I also did not hesitate.  Many of the side issues, I know are part of the restoration of this 48, have been addressed and are in a controllable form now.  I will just systematically approach each task, with patience and head to the finish line.  How is that for optimism?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

In looking over the Locomobile pictures posted above by Ed, this must have been during a visit to the Gilmore.  I hope to make it to that location sometime soon.  The Locomobile is certainly a high end custom automobile as the fender treatment looks to be very much "one off" items.  Ed, are you able to share a dashboard picture of this Locomobile?

Al

I did speak with the family of the Locomobile enthusiast who passed from complications of dealing with cancer.  He will be laid to rest this coming week.  At that time I will be able to share more story about this Gentleman.

Al

11 hours ago, alsfarms said:

George,  You have baited the hook and I am sniffing around your story per above.  If you are up to it, share some vital pieces of the purchase story you refer to!  (But hold to the level of privacy you desire).  I had dreamed of a 48 Locmobile since I started on the 1909 Model L, (in 1977).  I still have the Model L in the progress status.  Having found one 1925 Locomobile 48 Limousine, and could see that I could swing a deal, I also did not hesitate.  Many of the side issues, I know are part of the restoration of this 48, have been addressed and are in a controllable form now.  I will just systematically approach each task, with patience and head to the finish line.  How is that for optimism?

Al

Al, You are definitely a member if not the leader of the Locomobile Automobile Optimists. I applaud your drive to bring back your cars. Hope you can realize your goals. Slow and steady wins. 

I wish you had a frontal view picture of this Locomobile, that is set for a trip.  I can't tell for sure if it is a Model L or Model M.  The pin stripping on the hood looks just like the stripping on an original hood I located and purchased a while back.  The front of the rear spring shackle covers sure look the same as a Model L.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling and clarity (see edit history)

The above car is definitely a 1912 M.   You can just see the top of the right jump seat.  They did not make 7 passengers touring for Model 30 or Model 38.     Nice to see the inside of the trunks. It would be great to know the trunk manufacturer. 
thanks

Bob McAnlis

I reckon they must have been there to apply at Mcds. All kidding aside, do you realize how rare it is to have four Locos at the same place at the same time? I expect even Hershey can rarely pull off such a feat.

Bob and Aha,

Maybe the drivers all prefer a "Big Mac" and fries for lunch?   That is a very healthy quadruple group of Locomobiles for sure.  I have a guess as to what state this picture is framed in and actually could have had a few other Locomobiles from nearby.  Bob, are you familiar with the paint scheme that is on both of the 1914 Locomobiles?  Is the two tone paint a "buyer preference" or is that how the Locomobile factory set this vintage Locomobile apart from the rest of the early automobile creations of the period?  It seems that Pierce-Arrow had a similar paint method on similar year cars.  Does the top of the hood reflect the same color as the beltline and wheels of the particular unit or is the paint a total variable?

Al

On the subject of 48 Locomobiles, Does anyone have information that could substantiate the existence of any Locmobile 48 from the years 1926 or 1927.  I have seen a few references that suggest that the 48 was available during those years but am yet to see any validated 48 to prove it.  If you have first hand knowledge or factory release information that proves any were built in 1926-27, please share that information here.

Al

22 hours ago, alsfarms said:

On the subject of 48 Locomobiles, Does anyone have information that could substantiate the existence of any Locmobile 48 from the years 1926 or 1927.  I have seen a few references that suggest that the 48 was available during those years but am yet to see any validated 48 to prove it.  If you have first hand knowledge or factory release information that proves any were built in 1926-27, please share that information here.

Al

Here’s listings from data books 1927 &1928. Appear to be a horse a piece.0C2E9EBC-3096-470F-A4F1-CD67DAFDEFAC.jpeg.c9d34b6938a5e4b86d6ebc7dde0f5bd9.jpegCB44966E-8E57-4327-B2AD-D89C742EF95E.jpeg.69d936b0ffb3e95ecd9f1c9fdd1b9e99.jpeg0ACFD60D-61A4-415A-990A-BF68EB059CE0.jpeg.bbf4b538eb8dd91eadae5785cedebe0e.jpegE23D6AE2-73E5-4A45-AA98-C1C3D4AD987B.jpeg.4d17b241b87b09e1a4ff015e6c40c3e7.jpeg

The above picture posted by George K is certainly evidence that the subject pictured Locomobile 48 is manufactured in 1927.  I wonder what the serial number sequence would be for the 1927 Model year?  If 19000 would be correct for 1925, would a good assumption for 1926 be 20000 and for 1927 be 21000.  Or is something else used?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Loco 90 said:

I would like to see a clearer picture of the 1927 Locomobile 48 above as it may turn out to be a Model 90 Locomobile. Difficult to see clearly but the oil pan looks more 90 than 48 to me. Ben

Just go to the site I credited. 

Thank you, excellent resource. The photo is clear enough that I can make out the Model 90 spark and throttle controls in the center of the steering wheel in addition to the shape of the oil pan. Still think it is a model 90. Thanks again, Ben

• Like 1

Not sure how to do that. I found the picture on the website listed, but to enlarge the photo you must hold the magnifying glass down. I could not copy the photo without it shrinking back to the size posted above. Ben

Here is a video clip of a green Locomobile 48 roadster gathered from You Tube.  I am sure this particular Locomobile is well known, but not by me.  It is called a 1925.  Can anyone here confirm that year for this nice Locomobile.

Al

On 6/20/2022 at 4:43 AM, alsfarms said:

Here is a video clip of a green Locomobile 48 roadster gathered from You Tube.  I am sure this particular Locomobile is well known, but not by me.  It is called a 1925.  Can anyone here confirm that year for this nice Locomobile.

Al

Dear Al, this car is really well documented, look for " 1919 merrimac roadster", type 48 series 6 number 16119. Before second world war it was converted to a towtruck, later restored by Alexander Stein. Some claim it has a very low milage, others say Stein drove a very high milage with it, but never mind, many report it to work well. All found online.

• Like 1

I just noticed this 1925 wire wheel Locomobile 48 Sportif for sale in an on line auction.  There is about one month to chew on this Locomobile before the auction ends giving you plenty of time to get your courage up.  The number listed for this Locomobile is 5168.  It appears to be a very nice Locomobile.  Does anyone here know this car personally?

Al

image.png.850e7cfaba273ff39cef3b824bb05e18.png

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

8 hours ago, alsfarms said:

I just noticed this 1925 wire wheel Locomobile 48 Sportif for sale in an on line auction.  There is about one month to chew on this Locomobile before the auction ends giving you plenty of time to get your courage up.  The number listed for this Locomobile is 5168.  It appears to be a very nice Locomobile.  Does anyone here know this car personally?

Al

image.png.850e7cfaba273ff39cef3b824bb05e18.png

Sorry, the first time I see it. S/N 19074. Except for the dynamo it looks quite original and really in nice shape. On 7.00-20 wheels, water cooled air intake, Delco Ignition, thermostat, dual cowl, looks promising!

• Like 1