1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

Yes, That does fully describe a custom built automobile.  However, there still may be a recommended few that were highly favored.  I can't imagine Dayton or Pasco or the like being encouraged for use on a Locomobile 48.

Al

Hmmm....maybe it is just the picture or the lighting or the color of each of these two Locomobiles, but, the whitewalls on the Gunboat don't seem to be "in your face" as much as on the Blue Sportif.  I would not turn down either of these Locomobiles if I were in that market.

Al

19 minutes ago, George K said:

Shappy has this familiar 48 for sale on PreWarCar. 750k.74D440DF-6D77-44ED-AE6D-653E2D51FC61.jpeg.9984f897588bc4768d82b9653dd78f59.jpeg

Didn’t a dealer have it for sale in Connecticut?

Nice examples....I have a heretical question (please don't shoot me). The conservative upright windshield is a little hard on modern eyes (maybe just me), especially with the top down. Some other makes kept this for awhile (immediate post WWI Cadillacs, the 1928/29 Auburn convertible sedan, a rare (was it Holbrook?) 1929 Packard tourer needing restoration recently...For those of you "in the know" has anyone modified or replaced the stantions to cant it back to 10-12 degrees during restoration? I would never suggest on a significant car but I wonder what is being done out there...

27 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

Nice examples....I have a heretical question (please don't shoot me). The conservative upright windshield is a little hard on modern eyes (maybe just me), especially with the top down. Some other makes kept this for awhile (immediate post WWI Cadillacs, the 1928/29 Auburn convertible sedan, a rare (was it Holbrook?) 1929 Packard tourer needing restoration recently...For those of you "in the know" has anyone modified or replaced the stantions to cant it back to 10-12 degrees during restoration? I would never suggest on a significant car but I wonder what is being done out there...

Probably more than a few.     Agreed that the slant is better and by about 1932 everybody had caught on.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I’m remembering the story correctly this was Jack passey‘s honeymoon car.

I flirted with reaching out, but was able to maintain discipline.

Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky design. 1925 probably a good driver.F85A8DA3-16CB-4170-BBF4-8902EDDCD7DB.jpeg.8e414bd039e7e1afb673fd38fd63fc16.jpeg

19 minutes ago, George K said:

Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky design. 1925 probably a good driver.F85A8DA3-16CB-4170-BBF4-8902EDDCD7DB.jpeg.8e414bd039e7e1afb673fd38fd63fc16.jpeg

Jack let me drive it about twenty years ago………..I had a huge smile on my face. It was low mileage. Jack also drove the 1922 Cunningham show car on his honeymoon. 

Somebody by an interesting Loco and send it to me to get sorted……..I’m starting to get a Loco itch. 

George……..I spend all my money on women, Crown Royal, and pre war cars…………haven’t wasted a penny yet. As it says on a case of Jack Daniels……….and it applies to all three……….”all goods worth price charged” 😏

Besides, if someone sends me a Loco……I may forget about the White steamer that I feel I need to own. So many cars……so little time.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

On the subject of an "Itch", especially a Locomobile Itch, often times when a bug bites and you develop a good itch it is so rewarding just to give in and give it a few good scratches as if feels so darn nice.  Even though Lanacane can subdue the itch, the itch is still there.  I vote for Ed to just give in and scratch the itch on a Locomobile.  I am scratching the itch and it does feel so good!

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, edinmass said:

George……..I spend all my money on women, Crown Royal, and pre war cars…………haven’t wasted a penny yet. As it says on a case of Jack Daniels……….and it applies to all three……….”all goods worth price charged” 😏

Besides, if someone sends me a Loco……I may forget about the White steamer that I feel I need to own. So many cars……so little time.

Funny when I drink Jack my reading skills diminish. While on the subject next time you out shopping liquor grab me a fresh case. Have a hard time finding it up in the north country.ACD2D7BF-96D8-4E34-B6CC-A8AB888BD1F6.jpeg.90c48bae886ca0a513746023f72335f1.jpeg

George....I refuse to believe that a gentleman with such good taste in cars would drink a blended Scotch Whiskey............I'm guessing that in photo of your crate it's holding some early Rayfield carburetor or a Bosch twin spark dual six magneto. Having a few hundred years of my family living north of the US border.......I'm fairly certain my forefathers were reduced to drinking the "swill" that Hudson Bay Company was selling at the time. They were probably overcharging for croton oil as well! Both were probably just as appealing as to taste and effect. 😏

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

George....I refuse to believe that a gentleman with such good taste in cars would drink a blended Scotch Whiskey............I'm guessing that in photo of your crate it's holding some early Rayfield carburetor or a Bosch twin spark dual six magneto. Having a few hundred years of my family living north of the US border.......I'm fairly certain my forefathers were reduced to drinking the "swill" that Hudson Bay Company was selling at the time. They were probably overcharging for croton oil as well! Both were probably just as appealing as to taste and effect. 😏

Got me there. Kept my 100 mph speedometers in it. Didn’t kill your forefathers. Just made them tougher. Being half Irish I’m not too discriminating. Back in the day I drank hard and often. Once I stopped to see a S series Mercedes in Northern England. The man seemed out of sorts. He explained he had just returned from Scotland. He asked to be forgiven as he was suffering from “Scot Lag”.

• Haha 2