1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

This specific Locomobile has, in fact, been discussed on these Locomobile forums in the past. I do not recall exact information but maybe someone else here will share specific information and reference.

Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 8:23 PM, jcrow said:

I saw someone asked for photos. Pulled my old 1916 (built May 1915) out of the warehouse

and dusted it off for a short tour. I have a postcard with this same paint on the car in the 1950's

so who knows how old it is. Interior is new and pretty accurate.

Grandkids are being immersed in the old cars.......

Johnny

loco.jpg

Regarding the postcard of this car -- does it identify the owner? This looks very much like the Locomobile that belonged to Howard Wyles in Berea, Ohio when I was a kid. The color matches, and I know that he used to carry postcards of the car to hand out when he went to shows. If it is the same car, I have some history on it from those years. 

Steve Bonds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some experience on the subject of the disappearance of the Locomobile Society Website. This Society was created by a group of West Coast Locomobile enthusiasts, in the 1980's, to serve the greater body of Locomobile owners and those interested in early automobile history. Sadly, the original group who created the Locomobile Society mostly have passed on. No real method was put in place to assure that this Society could sustain itself into the future. Certain members of this group are putting together plans and ideas to resurrect the Locomobile Society in a form that is sustainable over time as well as having a format to be a useful tool for those caretakers of any Locomobile and also a gathering place to make available Locomobile history as well as technical information. That is the status. Input is welcome.

Al

• Like 1

Ben, that looks like an old biblical document found in some dead sea cave. 🙂 How big is this chart? I have never seen one. Not exact but it is similar to the lubrication chart found in the service manual. How much verbage do you think is missing? It would be nice to scan the document, repair it and make new copies of it. Lastly, I wonder if Dan ran across a duplicate of this document will visiting the Bridgeport Public Library? You are lucky to have this document. 

Al

Al, It is 18" wide and 22" tall. The 1916 Instruction Book on page 82 (General Equipment) an "Oiling Chart" is to be found in the left rear compartment along with the various instruction books.

Thanks, Ben

• Like 1

Ben, I am guessing that the left rear compartment, you refer to, is the left side splash aprons storage compartment? I didn't think those splash apron compartments are weather proof enough to store written material. Is there a storage compartment inside the Locomobile 48 on the driver's side rear area that could be used and would stay drier?

Al

Al, Very good questions. I was just stating what was in the instruction book of 1916. It lists instruction booklets for Klaxon, Westinghouse, etc. in the same location.

Thanks, Ben

Ben, My Locomobile 48 Demarest Limousine is not open for inspection right now and if it was, I may not be able to determine inside storage compartments as most of the rear interior is gone. More on this subject later. Maybe another Locomobile 48 owner will chime in and provide information that will help on this subject.

Alan

I did not see the lubrication chart but hope to get back to the library in another 4-5 months. I was a little side-tracked, unanticipated, into the Riker documents which are separate from the Locomobile archive. I would think a better copy of this exists. Frank may also know. Now that I have a better understanding of how the archives are organized I can probably have a better shot at finding things for people. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the "Paul Harvey" response to my just completed road trip. Sadly, per the trend brought on by COVID, this Chickasha meet was very small. As usual plenty of T and A stuff, a fair amount of brass lamps, not very much heavy classic type parts. I hope steps are taken to change up the Chickasha meet that will still encourage pre war material but be inclusive of the 50's and muscle car stuff. The only Locomobile part that I saw first hand was the partial steering column that was brought to the meet for me, (previous purchase). A set of four #4 Houk wire wheel hubs found their way into my truck and made the ride to Utah.  I did locate and complete a set of #5 Buffalo wire wheel caps, and another gent delivered a pair of 19" #5 Buffalo wire wheels, (to complete a set). I also stopped by a friend's place and picked up a pair of bronze jump seats, that have been waiting since last year for me to pick up, this is good for the Locomobile Limousine. Lastly, but not Locomobile related, part of the trip was a side run to Pa. to pick up a 1913 rebuilt and running 6 cylinder T head Pederson dripper engine for use in an original to Utah American -LaFrance fire truck. All told, this was a great trip for my son and I, but not as much a highlight as hoped for surrounding the Swap Meet. We did stop at the Canton Antique Auto Museum for a nice driving break and ended up getting a private tour of the largest stash of Lincoln parts in the world! If you need Lincoln parts, they are for sale and I can provide a direct number to reach the right guy. I will post a couple of pictures as I get time.

Al

• Like 1

The Chickasha Swap was good for locating several items needed for projects. With this post I will show a Rushmore lamp purchased to make a pair for use on the 1913 American-LaFrance fire engine. This lamp is the same as what could be found on the 1908 Locomobile Model 40. In the picture the Swap meet Rushmore is on the right and full of dark patina. It is good shape and with a good serious polish (the one on the left also) they will dress the front of my Fire truck in a nice way.

Al

IMG_20240318_094802758_HDR.jpg.979aa0b171cebc8ad6e9d13c3e6fb02d.jpg

• Like 4

PS.....

Don't mind the current state of my lawn in the background, we are just breaking dormancy in our area. I can sure see where my drop fertilizer was dropped. Plenty to think about besides Locomobile. It won't be long until I bring out the lawn mower.

How many have had your Locomobile out for a spring run.

Al

• Like 1

Greetings - I recently purchased some photos of the former James Melton 1908 Locomobile Type I. This is the car he bought in 1938 in a nearly as-new state having never received coachwork (having belonged to the Sessions family). Melton sold the car in 1958 to Joseph K. Ott of Rhode Island who then went on the Glidden tour that year...See two photos attached. It appears that it sold through Christies in 1994.  Curious if anyone knows where it is, or has recent pictures. Fabulous car and story...

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.51.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.41.55 PM.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bridgeport transmission assembly..........

Presidential motorcade......1919. All Cadillac's except the Presidential Loco.........

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 8.38.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 8.41.13 AM.png

• Like 4

Who can identify the location where this 1919 Presidential Motorcade was parked for this picture. Being a "Westerner" I am not familiar with any locations such as found in this picture. As a historical follow up question regarding this picture, who were the dignitaries who would have ridden in the 10 Cadillacs? Would the Motorcade, even in 1919 been well planned with who would have ridden in each Cadillac, from front to back. Lastly, as good as the Cadillacs were, they were overshadowed by the Locomobile.

Al

I just noticed the stack of new single port jugs in the top picture. It would be great news, if a bunch of NOS Locomobile mechanical parts was located hidden in an obscure basement somewhere.......what a dream.

Al

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alsfarms said:

I just noticed the stack of new single port jugs in the top picture. It would be great news, if a bunch of NOS Locomobile mechanical parts was located hidden in an obscure basement somewhere.......what a dream.

Al

...and then you woke up.