Whippet truck?

nzcarnerd

Found this photo in one of the local library archives. I think it is a Whippet truck but the hood sides and the front bumper are from something else. Comments?

Notice in the background the very common mistake of putting an apostrophe in Willys is already alive and well.

4837-max.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't normally disagree with John, however, with all due respect I have to on this one. The body is not a Fargo Clipper or Packet from 1928 or 1929

Body and visor are from pre 28 time frame.. I'm guessing the front clip was replaced and they used random parts from other vehicles (hood, front fenders,  front bumper... notice the shine to the front clip only) Your hunch is correct NZ, these are a mix of items but I would agree the body lines look to be Willys and may even date back to the Overland days...

Items that do resemble Dodge Bros or Fargo (hard to tell from angle for sure though)  are the cowl, hood, radiator shell, emblem, radiator cap but the rest does look like a Whippet from early 20's to 1927 time frame. I think from this view in your original post the radiator emblem is the only thing that could or may be Fargo and MAYBE the headlights since Dodge and Fargo used interchangeable parts on these trucks at the time. 

Headlight bar is definitely not a DB or Fargo item from that time frame.

Searches for 1929 Fargo Packet (1/2 ton model) or the Clipper (3/4 ton model) are readily available on the internet and well documented by factory photos and this truck on topic looks nothing like those (with the exception of some of the front clip parts...)

Front bumper looks like Chevy, I'm guessing the headlight bar to be Model A 1930 1931 years...

Again, since we cannot tell from the angle we have no idea what the emblem is on the radiator but does resemble the WK emblems from that era.

I would be VERY curious NZ if you can tell us when this photo was taken ? Any dates on the back ?

I'm guessing photo was taken around 1930-32. 

Can anyone positively I D the car in the garage or the business name "J Pomeroy & Co" or "Morris Service Station" ? .. this may also lend clues to the time frame when the photo was taken.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The photo was originally posted on a facebook page but a quick Google search found this link, and several other photos as well.  As they were Willys agents I thought it likely the truck was a Whippet.  You will see an historically incorrect statement in the caption about Willys-Knight taking over Overland. I did email them to correct that but they haven't done anything about it.

http://hamiltonheritagecollections.co.nz/nodes/view/1607

It is perhaps interesting that the shop the truck is outside includes a "motor bodies" sign. That sort of shop built and repaired "motor bodies", so I speculate it has just come out of the shop after a repair, perhaps a front end rebuild after a prang. Maybe that is why the front end is shinier than the rest of it. That is also perhaps why the tires all need a bit of air. And the bonnet or hood is a different colour to the cowl. Also of interest is the sign writing on the truck - has it faded or has it been sanded lightly or is it just covered in a lot of dust?.

P.S. I think the furry car in the left background has either a 1926-27 plate - white on black with hyphen - or 1929-30, white on black with dot.

P.P.S. I see there is a Pomeroys Hotel at 284 Kilmore Street, Christchurch  now. Was that the site of this shop?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, Spinneyhill said:

It is perhaps interesting that the shop the truck is outside includes a "motor bodies" sign. That sort of shop built and repaired "motor bodies", so I speculate it has just come out of the shop after a repair, perhaps a front end rebuild after a prang. Maybe that is why the front end is shinier than the rest of it. That is also perhaps why the tires all need a bit of air. And the bonnet or hood is a different colour to the cowl. Also of interest is the sign writing on the truck - has it faded or has it been sanded lightly or is it just covered in a lot of dust?.

P.S. I think the furry car in the left background has either a 1926-27 plate - white on black with hyphen - or 1929-30, white on black with dot.

P.P.S. I see there is a Pomeroys Hotel at 284 Kilmore Street, Christchurch  now. Was that the site of this shop?

I came back to this one while searching for some info re Willys.

Re the last question. The photo of the truck was taken in Hamilton - a long way from Christchurch.

I am not aware of any connection to Hamilton. I know there is a Pomeroy's coffee shop in Nelson which was started by a late acquaintance of mine. Again I am unaware of the origins of the name.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, roysboystoys said:

Maybe the body was removed from original chassis and just remounted to different chassis when photo was taken?

I agree. The hood, radiator shell, headlights, fenders and cowl look shiny and new. The body is weathered. Even today businesses with expensive custom truck bodies often buy a new cab and chassis and re-use the old body. 

The wheels and tires, however, look well-worn. Would a new cab and chassis in those days have come without wheels and tires? 

Don