Tin Woody experts....need your assistance

Buggirl

I’m new to the tin woody but love them.  Occasionally I find a tin woody without the vinyl wraparound wood.  (I have champagne tastes but on a beer budget.). Are there kits?  Are they hard to install?

no kits that I know of- plenty of hand stenciling though and also many new materials on the mkt that simulate wood. there are videos that show how it is done and a definite art form.

From having real woodies and tins, the tins are much easier to maintain and give the same effect wo the huge cost of custom made wood. also tins are great to drive in the rain- they dont swell.

check out some utube videos...............

10 hours ago, Buggirl said:

Occasionally I find a tin woody without the vinyl wraparound wood.  

Buggirl, I don't know which decade(s) you're interested in,

but some station wagon models had no "wood" on them.

The "wood" may have been an option, or else available only

on the higher-end models.  Often, the woodgrain had specific

trim to outline it.

So you might find a wagon with no wood and no need to apply any.

A good way to save money, perhaps.

You may already know this, but I mention it for what it's worth.

Thank you Brass is Best and John for your timely responses.

I am a VW woman and want to buy another classic.  I love station wagons but am a total rookie with tin woodies so your expertise has been very helpful.  

Not sure what you mean....I am just looking right now.  I really appreciate your assistance with the makes that would be less expensive.

This is a retirement present to myself and haven’t decided on a make or model yet.  The tin woodies are so cool.... I really like them.

There was a company that advertised woodgraining on "tin woodies", but I haven't seen their add lately. As far as I know there isn't someone making decal kit's for "tins". I would look into a product called Di-Noc, Film, made by 3M. It comes in many colors and patterns and I believe it is the material used on '60 and '70s wagons.

You can buy a kit to turn your PT Cruiser into a woody. This is probably the cheapest option. A PT Cruiser with woody sides, wide whitewalls and chrome hubcaps could be a lot of fun on a budget.

As for the traditional or vintage models. Last American wagons with real wood construction was 1953 Buick. Since then they are artificial. Most manufacturers offered a lower priced wagon without the wood sides, particularly the low priced cars like Ford, Chev, and Plymouth. The woodie trim was for the up market models.

If I wanted to add woody trim to a plain wagon I would paint it on. It is possible to do quite convincing wood graining with paint. As good as the fake wood Dinoc and much cheaper.

The woody sides were made of Dinoc which is a vinyl material that glues on in sheets like shelf paper or Mac Tac. The trim was made of plastic or fibreglass. If you could find an old woody in a junk yard and salvage the plastic or fibreglass trim you could paint the wood grain on and finish with the plastic trim.

Did you see this 66 Dodge woody? It goes to show they are still out there.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks Rusty!  I did not see that article...It’s looking like I will need to look for a station wagon....a tin woody may be either too much work or any that meet my needs would be too expensive. 

Buggirl, keep your hopes up!  Don't give up your

fondest desire.  Station wagons don't have to be

expensive, whether or not they have vinyl-wood sides.

There really isn't much difference in price between

a painted-side model and one with vinyl woodgrain.

Note, however, that for many years, station wagons

were overlooked in the hobby.  Sometimes, they still are.

That meant that they were not saved, but utilized simply

as used cars for many years.  People saved and restored

models they thought were "glamorous," such as 

convertibles and top-model 2-door hardtops.  Therefore,

there aren't as many station wagons around, and 

you'll have to search longer for a nice station wagon.

Also, don't judge values by ASKING prices.  Sometimes,

asking prices are double a car's actual value.

The hobby can truly be satisfying and affordable, so

keep up your spirit, and work to make your dream a reality!

Ok, now I'm confused. Up until today, I have only heard "Tin Woody" used to refer to the very first steel wagons from about 50-54, that were stamped to resemble the last of the woodies. Most of the ones I have seen unrestored were just painted like regular cars, but I understand Di-Noc was an option.

00t0t_6k3CdmmUacg_600x450.jpg

Picture is from this ad:  https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/1950-oldsmobile-tin-woody/6562836977.html

• Like 1

Rusty and John,

I like the wagons with the wood vinyl....not real wood (too much maintenance).  You’re right about the search....it may take awhile but I can be patient (I hope).... just waiting for the right one.  I am torn between a tin woody and a station wagon.  I think a nine passenger wagon would be a great party car!  Throw in the grandkids and family .....and develop memories!

OK that clears it up. They made that style of wagon until the early 90s. There are still quite a few Oldsmobiles Buicks Fords and Mercuries from the 1980s and 90s around. You might find a good one in your neighborhood on Craigslist or Kijiji. The 80s and 90s models still sell for used car prices, the older ones are becoming collector's items.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Buggirl: 

Dont give up on doing the vinyl if you like it that much.  I have never come across a "kit' for replacing the vinyl, and in my opinion putting it on could be quite a hassle.  However, if you decide you want one done, check with a signage company to see if they do the vinyl "wraps".  some of these guys can do wonders on the trucks you see with all the advertising on it.  If there is a source for woodgrain they may be able to a great job for you.

Larry

• Like 1

Buggirl:

Is this the"tin woody" you were looking at on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Chevrolet-Other/253609600260?hash=item3b0c4f6504:g:6M4AAOSwo9Fa8hGV

If so, it looks like a pretty good basis for a really ambitious project.  Unless you have the skills required for a project of this nature (or the desire to develop such skills), projects like this would not be the way to go.  Of course, if you had lots of $$$, that's what a project like this would take to make it road and eye-worthy.  What is interesting about the 1950 "tin woody" is that someone has made an attempt to paint on faux wood grain.  Whomever painted this did not do a very good job of it, but it does give you an indication of what is possible.  Here's a short video showing various "painted on" wood graining techniques: 

As previously mentioned on this thread, I would go with the best car (mechanically and appearance-wise) that I could afford.  That way you could get immediate enjoyment from driving it and could tinker with it at your leisure.  With patience, I think you'll be able to find something that you'll like and enjoy driving.  Both ebay and Craigslist are good sources, but don't forget the online versions of Auto Trader and Hemmings.  Depending on your location, there would probably also be local sources/listings of suitable cars.  Here in Florida, we have some regional publications/websites that list some really good cars for sale ... at seemingly reasonable prices.  If you let us know your location (region or state) someone from that area could recommend more locally-focused sources for collector cars.

Good luck with your quest.

Cheers,

Grog

In the chevy realm, a tin woody is mid 49-1954. Mid year 49 back was real wood. And yes, Rusty is correct that the last "real" woody is the 53 Buick.

There is a total basket case on the Hamb, about 1951 for only 2500. and in PA.  Has been listed for a long time and prob could be had for a song.

Also, at Hershey, there are usually a couple of guys doing the various "graining" techniques. Selling materials or doing the job for you.

Bug Girl;

Thanks for bringing back the memory of one of my favorite cars of my past. I had a 1976 Plymouth Volare wagon that had the vinyl "wood" on the sides.   It had a six cylinder with a 4 speed on the floor.  It was a great combination of family car, good mileage, and just enough sportiness to keep a young man with a growing family interested.  Unfortunately my wife wrapped it around a telephone pole!!!

As per Mercer09, in the Chevy world , the Tin Woody refers to 49-54 cars. I've never thought of the 60's and 70's versions as Tin Woodys but there is no reason why not I guess.

49- 52 retained some vestigial real wood in the interior, mainly the mahogany door panels and oak(ash?) window sills. Beware cars without original interior panels as it is almost impossible to recreate the factory forming process to get the right compound curves in the mahogany plywood.

Grog's example looks to be a reproduction attempt as the originals were dark mahogany

The exterior 'wood' was originally a Dinoc decal and you can still get a similar product with colours that are pretty close. Installation is not much more complicated than window film...so I'm told. I prefer the original  two-tone look over the monotone look in the ad Grog found

They are very dependable cars and dead simple to work on mechanically.

Like most of the cars of that era, they are prone to rust in the rockers, floor boards and tailgate and that does get expensive. See both Bloo's pink Olds ad and Grog's ad and you can see what I mean. The good news is that Chev , Pontiac and Olds shared the same rear body so you can scavenge donor parts.from all three makes if they are not already suffering the same issues. There are also lots of re-pop panels but that only makes part of the job easy !

They have just enough chrome to make it painful and it usually needs to be done as the quality of the original chrome apparently suffered from the Korean War effort..
They are also very collectible ( look online and you will see many examples treated to a less than stock restoration ) Prices for a nicely restored version are about what you are going to sink into a fun $2500 car if you want to restore it

See Brass is Best's post for the best advice , which I have studiously ignored and therefore have multiple cars, no money and only one driver .

Styling cues and details are quirky enough to give you sense of something unique when you are driving it around and go for the three speed so you have something to do and can listen to that marvelous Chevy whine.

I happen to like their styling but then my cousin and I own one  that was passed on as a family heirloom. It's waiting its turn in line having suffered from being undercoated ( a really bad idea as ,where the undercoating of the day failed , it became a moisture trap with predictable results.). I was 17 when we took over the car . Had a lot of fun learning how not to do things but got it running and stopping in spite of my efforts and the family's skepticism. 

So to Brass is Best's advice I would add, if you buy it to have fun , don't ever forget why you bought it and do not start taking it apart once you have it running!!!

See this one

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chevrolet/styleline/2097967.html

Dave A , I'm going to have to disagree and suggest that your post belongs under under a Plastic Woody thread . I believe the pecking order is real woody , tin woody and then plastic woody ?

Brad

• Like 2

I forgot to tell you that I live in Boise, Idaho.  My husband and I have traveled to look at three different cars (not Woodies) and before I pursued another make of car I needed to know what I was getting us into.  All the advice I have received has been great!

Thank you all for taking the time to help me,

Bug Girl, thanks for indicating your location.

Here is a 1996 Buick Roadmaster station wagon

for sale, and it happens to be in Boise, Idaho!

This car was listed in the forum's "Buick Buy-Sell" classification.

The seller says it has 200,000 miles, which is more than usual

for these cars, but I don't know the condition.  He says the car

has been well cared for.  These cars are readily available with

mileage in the low 100,000 range, but for more money than he's asking.

And since they were among the last American wagons, they are

already collectible.

The more selective you are (and it's worthwhile being selective),

the farther from Boise you may have to go to find a nice car. 

Bug, I have owned real "Woodies" for many years and have a '46 Ford wagon at present. When I think of "Tin Woodies" I always think Chevy, Pontiac and Olds from '49 to '54. Some tin woodies used some wood in the interior. Everything after that, I consider Station Wagons. All are welcome in the National Woodie Club.

• Like 1

I have always been a fan of the vinyl-wood grain look on wagons and have owned three. The first was a 77 Buick Estate Wagon beater, the vinyl was in bad shape so my experience was removing it to expose the paint - very difficult and time consuming, I also owned a 95 Buick Roadmaster wagon which was in nice shape. The vinyl held up well but I made it a point to never take it to a car wash. The 66 Dodge Monaco I just got has very nice wood for its age although I think one side has been replaced at some point. It was interesting to read about this covering in the shop manual, it was much more than just vinyl wrap. First is a sprayed on color coded primer, then a sprayed on bonding coat. The "transfer film" is then applied and smoothed out, then folded back and nitrocellulose "welding solvent" is applied by hand then the overlay is smoothed out for the last time. Then the transfer is force dried and scuff sanded with 600 grit after which two coats of clear air dry enamel is applied and then baked dry! Not sure if other manufacturers used this procedure but it sounds like a lot of work. 

IMG_0883.JPG

DSCF2425.JPG

• Like 1

Those old Chevy and Buick, land yacht station wagons, can be picked up fairly cheap on the E-Bay, "Woodie Station Wagon" site. You need a gasoline truck to follow you though.

You wouldn't have to worry about gas mileage with one of these. The K car Town and Country wagon, one of the last woody wagons made by Chrysler if not the last. I saw one today in the driveway of a Victorian brick house in the older part of town. It seemed at home.

image.png.cee1ae208f707393e1684a4126ae14fd.png