1931 Buick 80 Series hartford CT craigslist

NOT MINE.   there are several red flags regarding the "custom coachbuilder" story.  Windshield arrangement is conventional for a convertible with roll up windows, but door tops look flat, with no window channels as if they were cut down closed car doors, and no top irons.  what is it ?

1931 Buick 80 Series Phaeton -

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1931-buick-80-series-phaeton/6583095305.html
This car has a straight 8 engine that has been completely rebuilt. It also has a custom body built by a custom coachbuilder in MA. It runs and drive. Contact me for price and availability to see it.

00m0m_6ipFvqgAqrO_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_dnwVJFc4YRt_1200x900.jpg

00J0J_eR75g86qXOq_1200x900.jpg

00y0y_7tjUTQSdCVf_1200x900.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

NOT MINE

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Oregon Desert, thanks for putting your interesting finds

out for all of us Buick fans to see.  You're our eyes and

ears, for those of us who wouldn't have otherwise

noticed these Buicks for sale.

We appreciate it!

Somewhere I have a 1954 edition of Motor Trend magazine containing an article featuring a body guy who at the time was making a very active business out of converting completely unwanted, hopelessly boxy early-30s sedans into more desirable open cars by (1) removing the roof and window frames, (2) closing up the window openings in the doors, and (3) slanting the windshield.  Since the windshield frame in the car listed in this thread bears no resemblance to that of a real Buick phaeton but does indeed slant, surely this car is a sedan conversion of the type described in that long-ago article.  More puzzling, however, is the rear bustle -- along with the reverse-opening lid hinged at the bottom.  If that is part of a conversion, someone certainly went to considerable trouble in pulling it off.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, jscheib said:

Buickborn,

Any chance you can find that article.  Is that individual who was doing the "coachwork" from MA?  I am trying to research this individual also.

John

John -- sorry for slow reply. I haven't been back to this thread lately.  Will look for that article.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, what would a car like this be worth?

I found the car on craigslist recently and my grandfather and I are going to take a look. I did find that the 80 series never had a phaeton which led me to this discussion. If this was a sedan and is now an open car, how would one go about guessing a value? Is it one of those situations where it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay?

It is a pretty interesting car even if it is not strictly original.

Thanks in advance.

Vintagecarguy.

If you don't care about authenticity, 

can buy it at a VERY modest price,

are not concerned with the need for resale,

don't care about resale value,

and just want to have fun with a big series grand old Buick...

then go for it, but don't be surprised if the seller thinks it is more valuable than we do,

and do not overpay.

The best cars I have owned and enjoyed were cars others said I overpaid for. Or questioned why I wanted the thing.

I can't remember regretting a car purchase. But I do regret a lot of them I had a chance to buy and didn't.

That Buick is perfect for sunny rides on secondary and country roads, with the occasional stop in a roadside cafe. Stay away from car shows and gatherings of "experts".

Well, my Wife has been taking naps to help her bad back. She just got up. I am going to take her out to lunch in my recently purchased "whydijabythatthing". It has four throwns for seats. She likes that.

Bernie

• 8 months later...