63 silver headliner

Chasander

Is there a source for the correct silver headliner for a 63?  Clarks says theirs will have a slight ripple effect or they can paint  a white one. Not a problem if there aren't any available. 

2 hours ago, Chasander said:

Is there a source for the correct silver headliner for a 63?  Clarks says theirs will have a slight ripple effect or they can paint  a white one. Not a problem if there aren't any available. 

I got my silver headliner from CARS, Inc. but it came from Clarks. Very happy with it.

Bill

I had a silver headliner in the 63 I used to own. It had a 5" tear just above the passenger side door. There wasn't any replacement material available then. I ended up having to patch it with a piece of duct tape from the back side of the tear. It worked OK enough but there was a still a little bit of grey from the tape that was visible but it wasn't as unsightly as the torn material hanging down.

2 hours ago, pyntre said:

Anybody in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area that REALLY knows how to put a new one in ?????  Got it hanging and centered ,, seems to be more than a one man job !!!!!!

My brother-in law and I did the one on my 63. I could never have done it alone. An experienced upholstery person may be able able to do it solo but, I would opt for another set of hands. The instructions for installation are in the body manual for the 63. They were helpful.

Bill

6 hours ago, pyntre said:

Anybody in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area that REALLY knows how to put a new one in ?????  Got it hanging and centered ,, seems to be more than a one man job !!!!!! 

There's an article in the June 2018 Hemmings Muscle Machines that details headliner installation in a GM A-body.  There are good photos and the installation process for the Riviera will be very similar, if not the same.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:05 PM, Chasander said:

mine has a 2" mouse entrance

What is the attraction to mice with a Buick!.

I found the remains of one in my heater/air conditioner ductwork after he/she/it had shredded some of the seat material and deposited a few nut kernels before leaving the land of the living!

Perhaps they just don’t like Chebbys or Fords ???????

The first generation Riviera is not a bad job for the headliner. I put one in mine years ago. The separate sail panels make it easier. I used staples in the tack strips with no problem.

I used white chalk to mark the center line on black and it showed through that stayed with me for a long time, might even be a trace of it still.

They use a U-shaped plastic channel to secure the edges at the drip rail. That can be cracked. I cut the plastic into 4" pieces and had enough to make it work by spacing them. I would buy a couple lengths if it is available now.

The hard part was getting a nice fit at the lower corners of the rear window.

As for the material, I would look at Rolls-Royce suppliers. I heard every Cloud has a silver lining.

Bernie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

SMS made the silver headliner for my 65 Skylark.  Excellent product IMHO.

https://smsautofabrics.com/collections/1965-buick/model-riviera-custom-sport-coupe

SMS Auto Fabrics has a WIDE selection of NOS interior fabric for classic cars. Pricey but you get an excellent product. (and they are in my home state, Oregon!) ;)