Mystery engine - 1920s six

nzcarnerd

Yes, it is a mystery. So far an image search of most of the cars sold on NZ at that time has found nothing like it. Whether it is for the car in the background I can't say.

I have assumed it is American.

There is even debate as the whether it is four or six cylinders.

Fairly certain it is automotive by the gear stick and clutch and brake pedals. Hand brake hanging back a bit.

Odd shroud around the exhaust manifold with the heat pipe to the carb.  Whether the intake manifold is in the block or just covered by the shroud I don't know.

It looks like a six to me. There are definitely too many spark plug wires to be a four. And it looks like there are three water connections on the casting from the top of the head to the rad. hose. The sheetmetal shroud on the side of the block certainly gives the engine an odd look.

Greg in Canada

This is just a guess but is it an engine with a low grade fuel adaptation? They used similar shrouded manifolds to heat fuel in tractors that would burn kerosene. The engine was started on gasoline and once warm was switched to kerosene tank. In this setup there would be two fuel tanks one for regular gasoline and one for kerosene.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:48 PM, studeboy said:

This is just a guess but is it an engine with a low grade fuel adaptation? They used similar shrouded manifolds to heat fuel in tractors that would burn kerosene. The engine was started on gasoline and once warm was switched to kerosene tank. In this setup there would be two fuel tanks one for regular gasoline and one for kerosene.

I think you might be on the right track Studeboy. The writing on the wooden box in front of the engine looks to me to say "Motor Spirit" so why is a box of motor spirit placed with the engine? There is more writing on the box but I can't make it out. Perhaps a test engine?

7 hours ago, Stude17 said:

There is more writing on the box but I can't make it out.

It is a Big Tree Motor Spirit box. "Benzine" came to NZ in a four-gallon tin can in a wooden box until the end of 1924. Big Tree was a brand. I have an enamel Big Tree sign in the shed.

The boxes and the cans were repurposed into many things over the years. The cans were carried on the running boards and discarded on the road side when used.

It doesn't seem to match any regular production car engines of the period that I can find. maybe it is a proprietary truck engine, e.g. Buda, Wisconsin, Hercules, etc.

It might also help to work out what the car is there. Two swage lines close together. Guess mid-1920s but what make?

Not a Hudson person, but I think the car in the background is a Hudson just based on how close the reveal mouldings are. The engine appears to be a modified Essex Super Six based on  the large hole in the bracket on the left side of the engine, which was for the lower rad hose.     

The picture is of an Essex six-cylinder engine. No modifications.

Based on han brake on right side of trans, it is likely 1924 to 1926. 1927 had the emergency brake inside body on left side of cowl attached to frame rail through the floor.

The large black box on top of engine is a hot air stove over exhaust system and provides tempered air to carb.

• Like 1