1938 Ford Questions

I'm thinking about buying the '38 Ford in the photos. It "runs" --- but stuck valves. Never messed with a flathead. What needs to be done to correctly unstick the valves. The operative word there is "correctly".

I only have the 2 photos, but would anyone hazard a guess as to a fair price?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

38 Ford 2.jpg

38 Ford.jpg

What kind of headlight conversion does it have? Have the fenders been modified any to accommodate this setup? Has the rear lights been modified too? Is the car still 6 volt? Other than that it looks pretty good in the pics.

Sealed beam headlights came along in 1940. You could buy conversion kits for late model cars to put in sealed beams, looks like that is what he has. It is a contemporary accessory that does not devalue the car but of course you could put the old bulb headlights back in if you prefer.

it looks like the car has some early after market dress up items added. As mentioned, the headlight trim, also the markers on the front fender tops, the grill guard and perhaps the hood ornament. You say the car runs but has stuck valves. If the valve is frozen in the guide and the spring can't close it, you may have to pull the heads and intake. Flathead Ford's are fairly easy to repair. The valve and guide comes out as an assembly. There are special tools available to remove the "valve cartridge" but it can be done without them. What is at the asking price?

It is a 1938 STANDARD, hood stainless trim differs from the DELUXE. Hoods and grills differ between the two, and I believe the front fenders are unique to the two different models. Looks to be a Tudor, would make a nice period Hot Rod. Bob 

A few more pictures of the engine and interior would help, but as others have suggested, $4500 sounds like a good deal. Looks like you will need a windshield, but I would do the motor repairs and drive it as a survivor.

The stuck valve problem may be as easy as removing the heads and tapping the valves down a few times along with squirting some penetrating oil like MMO around the valve stems from the top. Spin the engine over a few times repeating tapping and oiling and so on.

Sounds like it's be sitting a while and run with old gas.

A thorough fuel tank and system cleaning is in order.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

And after you purchase the car, join the V-8 Ford Club of America. The Club also offers a book specifically for your car, tons of info.

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

All good advice here,  And why haven't you bought it yet?  '"You snooze, you looze" is the old saying.

Seems it could apply here.

Seller is out of town. Told him I want it. He will call me next week to discuss details. Right now his & my schedules don't mesh. He will also send me more photos when he's back in town & takes them.

What are usual rust issues with these?

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, Fleek said:

What kind of headlight conversion does it have? Have the fenders been modified any to accommodate this setup? Has the rear lights been modified too? Is the car still 6 volt? Other than that it looks pretty good in the pics.

That was a popular conversion in the 40s and 50s.  No modifications to the fenders needed.  The headlights can easily be restored to original equipment / configuration.  

Floors, bottom of doors and trunk all rust.  This car looks like mostly dry storage for the last

80 years.  for that price you can do a lot of fixing.  Good Luck.   Join us in the Early Ford V8 Forums

and  get another V8 back on the road.

I agree with the opinions above, even if the interior is a little tattered you can do an awful lot of work when you start at that price for any of the pre-war Ford V8's... if I had found it, I would just get her running right, then I'd cover the seats with a blanket and toss the dogs in for a fun ride once the salt is off our roads that is.