Bought!!! Power antenna (1955 Buick)

Kosage Chavis

I have worked on some early GM power antenna and if you need parts they are very hard to find, the base design on electric 53 and before were 6V and when they went 12v in 54 the design stayed the same but the motor/gears

became about 25% larger, so no interchange between 6 and 12 volt motors and gear.

If you want a good working power antenna.....convert a 1982 and later Delco design to fit in your fender and use the original 55 chrome fender mount.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 8:58 PM, Barney Eaton said:

I have worked on some early GM power antenna and if you need parts they are very hard to find, the base design on electric 53 and before were 6V and when they went 12v in 54 the design stayed the same but the motor/gears

became about 25% larger, so no interchange between 6 and 12 volt motors and gear.

If you want a good working power antenna.....convert a 1982 and later Delco design to fit in your fender and use the original 55 chrome fender mount.

it was 1953 when cadillac, buick, and oldsmobiles went to 12 volts.

21 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

it was 1953 when cadillac, buick, and oldsmobiles went to 12 volts.

Yes, ...

BUT...  with the exception of the 1953 Buick Special (40 Series) which retained both the 6-Volt system and the Straight Eight cylinder engine through the 1953 model year before going to 12-Volt and V-Eight for the 1954 models.

The Chevrolet and Pontiac lines didn't go to 12-Volt and V-Eight until 1955.

4 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Yes, ...

BUT...  with the exception of the 1953 Buick Special (40 Series) which retained both the 6-Volt system and the Straight Eight cylinder engine through the 1953 model year before going to 12-Volt and V-Eight for the 1954 models.

The Chevrolet and Pontiac lines didn't go to 12-Volt and V-Eight until 1955.

you are correct, and so was my point.you would so much more likely to come across a 12 volt power antenna in a 1953 super, roadmaster, or skylark, than you are the 1953 six volt buick special.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

. . . . . you would so much more likely to come across a 12 volt power antenna in a 1953 super, roadmaster, or skylark, than you are the 1953 six volt buick special . . . . .

Where are you getting your information from?

The 1953 Buick Skylark was the only 1953 Buick Model that had an OE, 12-volt, LF fender-mounted antenna. All the other twelve SPECIAL, SUPER, and ROADMASTER Models had a roof-mounted manual antenna, centered above the windshield if they bought the optional radio.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint" 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

you are correct, and so was my point.you would so much more likely to come across a 12 volt power antenna in a 1953 super, roadmaster, or skylark, than you are the 1953 six volt buick special.

OK, no disrespect intended,

My response was to clarify your prior post in that SOME, BUT NOT ALL 1953 Buicks were 12-Volt, specifically the Special Series which was still 6-Volt, and of course there were far more Specials produced than any other single 1953 Buick model:

Total 1953 Buick production:

Special         217,624

Super           191,894

Roadmaster  79,237

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1953mack said:

Where are you getting your information from?

The 1953 Buick Skylark was the only 1953 Buick Model that had an OE, 12-volt, LF fender-mounted antenna. All the other twelve SPECIAL, SUPER, and ROADMASTER Models had a roof-mounted manual antenna, centered above the windshield if they bought the optional radio.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint" 

i stand corrected on the 53 buick antenna, i didn't realizes that buick kept the roof mounted antenna past 1952, thank you 1953mack. i used a 1957 12 volt casco power antenna motor to change my 53-54 pontiac 6 volt power antenna to 12 volts.

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

OK, no disrespect intended,

My response was to clarify your prior post in that SOME, BUT NOT ALL 1953 Buicks were 12-Volt, specifically the Special Series which was still 6-Volt, and of course there were far more Specials produced than any other single 1953 Buick model:

Total 1953 Buick production:

Special         217,624

Super           191,894

Roadmaster  79,237

thank you marty.

16 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

were cadillac power antennas vacuum operated past 1952 ?

The Wonderbar radio in my 1954 Cadillac has a vacuum Operated Antenna

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 8:58 PM, Barney Eaton said:

barney is right, my picture isn't the greatest, but laying closest to the camera is the casco 6 volt power antenna motor, behind it attach to my nos 53-54 pontiac power antenna assembly is the casco 12 volt power antenna motor. you can see the difference in size.

penny pictures 022.JPG

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

Yesterday I am sure I saw a power antenna on ebay.  I believe it said it was working and suited the 54-56 models.  If I recall correctly it was not cheap.  Not sure if this helps you any but worth a look.

Drew

Not cheap indeed.  It's been fitted with a newer non-original motor.  I will have a perfectly working good used one for sale soon.  Not cheap either, but much cheaper than this one.

This will also fit and have correct appearance on 57-58.

Screenshot_20180531-073145.png.5b14df3a4aa0291ea8ab3de63cd0b6ce.png

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Beemon said:

That's not a 54-56 antenna, the ground piece is wrong, as with the rest of the body (assuming my 56 antenna is the same from 54 up) . The mast looks correct, though. 

Can you post a picture of yours?  The body and mast looks just like every 54-57 antenna l have had (57 used 56 style partway into production) but the motor is not correct and the mounting bracket does not look correct (but not positive on this point).

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

13 hours ago, lancemb said:

Not cheap indeed.  It's been fitted with a newer non-original motor.  I will have a perfectly working good used one for sale soon.  Not cheap either, but much cheaper than this one.

This will also fit and have correct appearance on 57-58.

Screenshot_20180531-073145.png.5b14df3a4aa0291ea8ab3de63cd0b6ce.png

Let me know what you might sell yours for Mr Lancemb.

16 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

Yesterday I am sure I saw a power antenna on ebay.  I believe it said it was working and suited the 54-56 models.  If I recall correctly it was not cheap.  Not sure if this helps you any but worth a look.

Drew

I have seen this antenna before.  It has been trying to sell for the longest time.  The price is obscene.  

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

Can you post a picture of yours?  The body and mast looks just like every 54-57 antenna l have had (57 used 56 style partway into production) but the motor is not correct and the mounting bracket does not look correct (but not positive on this point).

Sure! Here you go! 

This eBay antenna looks like a later model antenna with a vintage mast. Definitely not an original restored antenna, and definitely not worth the asking price. 

20180531_204249.jpg

20180531_204305.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to get into a debate on exactly when they were used but the antenna(s) pictured in post #15 & #24 are the first versions of electric power antenna used in GM cars. 

Pontiac1953 called them Casco, they are distinct in the coil of tubing at the bottom for the cord    That design came in 6V & 12V

* Next was a short lived model (see center antenna below) it was the first to store the plastic cord inside the base housing,  my guess this was used from about 1956 to 1959

* The picture with the red background is reported to be a '57-'58 Cadillac but I have never worked on one (note it is the same as the middle antenna but with the motor rotated 90 deg) 

* From 1960 to 1978 GM used the Tenna brand made in Cleveland ....the antenna posted in #19 is a Tenna....it could be for a pre-1960 model car but I don't think GM used them that early.

* The short stubby antenna with the grey background is a '67-66 Corvette model.

* 1978-79 Delco came out with a another short lived design (see the bottom model in the picture) it's problem was the clutch used, it was not adjustable and if the drag of the mast etc was high the clutch would slip and the antenna would not move.

* Late 1979 Delco released the "Slimline"  with the plastic motor housing, much simpler and reliable.  The first couple of years the housing was a dirty white and they played with the way the mast was attached to the motor, but by 1982 the Delco Slimline was the GM standard.   The motor assembly was the same for all GM car lines, but the mounting at the fender line varied.  The last picture with the dark grey background shows some of the different

mounts at the top of the fender.

If I owned a GM car that needed a power antenna and it was not a perfectly original,  I would made a late Slimline work......easy to find and reasonably priced.  They can be wired to work with a dash UP/DOWN switch

antennas 004.JPG

88-90 2.jpg

57 58 cadillac II.jpg

65 66 corvette V.jpg

DSCN2243.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1