HELP!

89RegalBuick

Pick up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXEWOAA/ref=asc_df_B00RXEWOAA5364044/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00RXEWOAA&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198138936631&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16118314692480401260&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005661&hvtargid=pla-384404854525

If you need access to obsolete computer equipment stop into a doctor, dentist, or optometrist's office. It shouldn't take much if you stick to the medical field.

Bernie

• Like 1

I have 8 TB sitting on my desk in front of me and 6 TB is in a network connected server for up to 50 users. That doesn't count thumb drives scattered around, well under $1,000 of stuff, maybe $700.

I started in 1974 with these computer things. The worst situation I ever got into was buying about 50 GM video disc's, the ones that look like LP records. You might run across some of those. They were in the '80's vintage.

You might want to pick up some early OTC pre-ODB1 diagnostic equipment. I have the big job in a suitcase like this:

s-l640.jpg

and a few less elaborate scanners. They are pretty cheap these days used.  I have to admit, I never really pinpointed a problem using the testers, but my '86 Park Ave either had good stuff or we replaced it just as a matter of course. The one kind of untenable problem was diagnosed ad hoc leaning on the fender. A guy said "acts like a bad MAF sensor", found an NOS one at a lawn mower shop on Ebay for $15 (a $250 part) ten minutes after arriving all was fine.

Treat it like Nintendo and you will do fine.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

800k? A usb floppy drive for a PC isn't going to do anything. Those old 800k disks are completely incompatible with PC drives as far as I know. The following generation of Macs had a "SuperDrive" that could accept 800k disks, newer higher capacity Mac disks, and PC style disks.  The newer, higher-capacity disks could be exchanged with PCs, but the old 800k were still Mac only due to the mechanical incompatibility. One could use an old Mac to move the files onto a newer Mac disk, and from there to a PC... I think.

What is on the disk, Mac programs? You are probably going to need a Mac emulator, and probably some sort of filesystem driver.... Maybe an Apple guru will come along and correct any mistakes I have made here. I don't think its too far off, but this is all from a long time ago.

I think it would be easier just to get an old Mac. You don't live anywhere near Central or Western Washington do you? There could be one buried in a deep dark hole here...

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Bloo said:

You don't live anywhere near Central or Western Washington do you? There could be one buried in a deep dark hole here...

Shhhhhh, I think that is the one with Greg Walden's emails on it.

Actually, he is one of the good guys.

I wasn't kidding about looking for obsolete computer equipment in the medical community.  I had an eye exam and the doctor was telling me all about his new Corvette. I went out to the receptionist and while I was checking out I caught the corner of her screen. "Is that DOS you are working in?" I asked. She grimaced and said "Yes". "Did the doctor tell you all about the new Corvette?" She just growled.

Then, again, I was friends with Mort Miller, the Father of ultrasound, and when my cardiologist bought an office model we playing around with it in sepia tone, he was a car guy. That science has progressed, recently I had a carotid  artery scan. It was color. And the blood was in red. I told the technician that somehow it made me think of the cash registers that tell the check out person what change to give. That was THEIR advanced technology.

I  remember using tab cards (somecalled IBM cards) in the early 70's They were actually 80 column Hollerith (sp) cards namedafter the man that came up with the punched code.  top 3 rows were the control for the letter set row 12 (top row) punched and what was called row 1 (actually 3rd row on card) would be an 'A" 12-2 = B donw the list.  We kept subscriber names for over 100 magazines about 4 million names on these cards. 3 cards to a subscriber name/address. The labels would be printed from these cards.  We were very happy when data entry machines wentto mag tape. 

• Like 1

Heck I was happy when punched tape went from paper to mylar...

You realize I was one of the contributors to the Dead media Project  & played my first video game in 1957.

What you need is a Mac SE. That had the disk reader you need.

ps the OTC 4000 - I'll raise you an OTC 2000 (93 pathfinder cartridge) with a TIF 1500 kicker

otc2000.jpg

tif1500.jpg

tif1500ins.jpg

pps somewhere here I have a 9-track tape device. Suspect there may be an archaeological dig here in the future.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

9 track? You mean the common 8-track (whose forerunner was the Lear 4 track?). Or some data storage tape system?