1949 Buick

Clark1

Fella's

I am looking for some information on a 1949 Buick Series/Model 41. Apparently they are very rare and not too many people know about them. I spoke with a lady in Wisconsin who has one in her body shop getting a full restoration.  The story that came along with the one I have is, that it is one of 800 built and one of 200 that didn't get purchased by the military and sent to the south Pacific. There is something different between hers and mine, mine has defrosters/ radiators under the rear side glass on both sides of the back seat. we were told this was so the officers riding in the back could see the troops.  The runs and drives and all electrical items work except the clock. Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You in advance.

7 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

Good luck finding out about your 1949 Buick. What was going on in the South Pacific that the U.S. Army was interested in about 1949? Could you be thinking of the 1942 models, whose production was stopped by the government in February, 1942?

Good question. I would have to guess the Korean war. I don't believe I know of any other models. There is supposed to a so-called Buick Guru in northern Ohio but I have yet to here a reply from him and it's been 2 years.

9 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Pictures !  -  You may want to rethink your salutation "Fella's"  There are female members that may have valuable input for you and you wouldn't wanttomissany of that.

Picturs help also. 

have fun

dave S . 

Yes Dave, you may be correct. I may want to do that. Thank You. Do you have any information regarding the question I have posted?

Sorry Clark  I don't know anything about 49 Buicks But would like to see the Pics of yours - sounds interesting.  I was responding to another thread when I saw yours. You may want to ask this on the specific BUICK forum -you may get more responses. I also should have said Welcome to a very interesting forum and group of people. Some one that knows will most likely chime in soon. Where are you located? 

dave S

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Sorry Clark  I don't know anything about 49 Buicks But would like to see the Pics of yours - sounds interesting.  I was responding to another thread when I saw yours. You may want to ask this on the specific BUICK forum -you may get more responses. I also should have said Welcome to a very interesting forum and group of people. Some one that knows will most likely chime in soon. Where are you located? 

dave S

Dave, thank you. I have pictures but will have to find which computer they are on. I am located in Ohio for the moment but soon to return to the Heart of the SEC. I will see if I can find this Buick forum and do as you have suggested.

2 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

They made 5,777 model 41's in 1949.  You would have a last year body style Special series 49-4409.    They are rare but not 800 rare.  This is why you should add photos.  This model basically started in 1941 or 1942 and was carried over rather than redone in Buicks 1st post war restyle of 1949, so it was a carryover body without much updating.  Few Specials sold in 1949, mostly because the Supers and Roadmasters looked so fresh and nice and the post war boom was ending.

I can't say that any with special military add-ons would add rarity value, just be interesting to see I guess.   Buicks were popular in World War II as military vehicles as were Cadillacs.  But I can't speak for 1949.

Thank you Bryan. I have pictures, somewhere on a computer just not this one.  As soon as I find them I will post.  Out of the 5,777 made, would it be possible that the 800 I was told could have been for the military and they only bought 600 leaving the rest to be sold stateside?

A couple of years ago I came across a 1949 Buick parked behind a service station, ( the old fashioned kind ), it looked like somebody's project. Then a few feet away was a shell which I think is also a 49 Buick and it is right hand drive. The garage was closed so I didn't hang around too long or take pictures. I did make contact with the owner, he gave me the not for sale story, doin' er up someday, but unfortunately nothing done with them yet.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Wikipedia says the first 49 Buick Special was a continuation of the 48 and was replaced by an all new model midyear. So, photos would help.

I finally got some picture, I just have to figure out how to get them from my phone to this page.