Wipers Not working

Pontiac 51

They are vacuum operated I believe, so you will first have to find where the vacuum originates and make sure that connection is ok and the metal or rubber line that feeds vacuum to the wiper motor is not loose or broken.  If all that checks out then the switch or motor itself might be bad.  Old vacuum wiper motors of get fumed up inside and need rebuilding.

My first car was a 1951 Pontiac 4 door, dark green over light green, automatic and 8 in a row.

Terry

Just now, TerryB said:

They are vacuum operated I believe, so you will first have to find where the vacuum originates and make sure that connection is ok and the metal or rubber line that feeds vacuum to the wiper motor is not loose or broken.  If all that checks out then the switch or motor itself might be bad.  Old vacuum wiper motors of get fumed up inside and need rebuilding.

My first car was a 1951 Pontiac 4 door, dark green over light green, automatic and 8 in a row.

Terry

Sorry, gummed up inside from old grease.

You need to lubricate the vacuum motor from time to time, there was a thread on this a while ago, maybe a search will turn it up. If in good shape they work well but pooh out when you step on the gas or climb a hill. This can be cured with a vacuum pump, some cars came with them as standard equipment, but they were optional on most cars. You can buy a fuel pump with built in vacuum pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the vacuum lines as others have mentioned.  Also, disconnect the line going into the wiper motor and dribble about a tablespoon of brake fluid down the line into the motor and work the blades back and forth.  Clean and lube all the hinges in the linkage.  Leather  flappers in the motor dry out and shrink and hopefully, the brake fluid will bring them back to life.  The vacuum wipers work well when in good shape especially with the double action vacuum/fuel pump mentioned.   I have a '51 Pontiac too, and have done this with success.  It has the double action pump so I think yours would as well.

Edited by TLoft (see edit history)

I would strongly advise not using brake fluid or trans fluid. Take the motor apart and clean and sand the belly of the motor and lube with a silicone or graphite product. Also after making sure you have good vacuum to the motor put a one way valve in the line. This valve is used on vacuum controlled heating systems and can be gotten from a parts store. You can also install a vacuum reservoir between the one way valve and the wiper motor. By doing this the wipers will not slow down when accelerating and you won't need to have the double pump. 

On 1/23/2018 at 8:31 PM, Dave39MD said:

Old Car,

Who sells the kits? Or gaskets? That would be a big help.

Thanks

Dave

I would recommend having it done by a professional familiar with the unit. I pretty much feel I can do anything  with these carsand have but the vacuum wiper motor was one of the few things that beat me up pretty bad.It looked easier then it ended up becoming

I have taken many apart.(20-30)  If the bowl is bubbled , get another unit. Do not try to refurbish the paddle. I don't think it is possible with the material supplied in the kits .   Pay attention to the sequence of parts of the kicker. and the on off switch.  Take a picture write it down, do what you need to do.  Fill the paddle with grease.  I have had a 90% success rate with just a good cleaning light grease and new gaskets.  Chrome plating the wiper is a way different trip.

John, Thanks for the advice. It's too late I found the kits for the small wipers at the Ford supplier Snyder's. I am going to give it a shot. Curti,  I have heard bad things about plating them. I am going to try buffing or perhaps some type of paint. I had some of the small metal covers plated without issue.

Thanks

Dave

Dave if your wiper motors were originally chrome plated, that can be done.  All Auburn open cars 34-36 had chrome wiper motors .  If you are up to the buffing , I have a guy that does the plating the way they did it in the old days,  no popper build up. 

The job turns out as good as the guy that buffed it.  

29 minutes ago, Dave39MD said:

Yes it was chrome, I would appreciate the name.

Thanks

Gary is the owner , I have known him 20+ years over that time we have become personal friends.  If you should decide to go that route we should talk.  Send me a PM. with  your number. 

J&D Chrome        153 Thompson Av West St Paul Suite 193 651-251-7400 gary@jdplating.com