Master Cylinder Rebuild for a 37

37 Buick Special

Assuming it is a Special, go to NAPA and see if they still carry part #3.  It fits 1937-1955 except 80-90.  Evidently it must fit tractors and other stuff.  NAPA had an overhaul 2-3  years ago and they may have dropped the part, but it's always been available until the last time I bought one.  Don't ask for 1937 Buick, they'll laugh.  Just ask for Master Cylinder kit, part #3

I recently sent a 1938 Century master cylinder to Cars, Inc. for resleeving. The master cylinder was shipped back from Apple Hydraulics, so evidently Cars, farms the resleeving job out to them. I think that Bob's and Cars both offer full rebuilding service if that is what you are looking for. Rebuild kits are also available from Bob's Automobilia or Cars, Inc. 

On 12/25/2017 at 6:28 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Assuming it is a Special, go to NAPA and see if they still carry part #3.  It fits 1937-1955 except 80-90.  Evidently it must fit tractors and other stuff.  NAPA had an overhaul 2-3  years ago and they may have dropped the part, but it's always been available until the last time I bought one.  Don't ask for 1937 Buick, they'll laugh.  Just ask for Master Cylinder kit, part #3

Why do you care if they laugh? I asked for spark plugs for a '17 Buick. The guy said why do you need spark plugs, the car is brand new. I said no, a 1917 Buick, and everybody in the place laughed.

Check with Doug Seybold to have him do it for you

Doug Seybold, 440-835-1193 or 440-835-1522, 2761 Clark Pkwy., Westlake OH 44145 ...

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2009/12/Doug-Seybold/2487571.html

On 12/25/2017 at 6:28 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

My lifetime experience is that I just have the cylinder/s honed and install a kit.  I see no reason to send off a cylinder until you have no more that will clean up without any pits remaining.  I keep kits it stock for both wheel and master cylinders.  I know shops don't do that much anymore, and many mechanics don't even know how to use a hone.  Should I say most mechanics?  I was on tour once and the master cylinder started leaking on the 1948 Buick I had at at the time.  I went to NAPA and got a kit and then went to the local Buick dealer whose owner I knew through the hobby.  There wasn't a mechanic in the shop who owned a hone or knew how to use it.  I went and bought them a hone and one mechanic finally figured out how to install the kit.  No more problems except they didn't know how to bleed the brakes without a fancy machine they had which could only work if the master cylinder was located above the level of the brakes, which is not true on a 1948 Buick.  The reason the above post was possibly amusing is because of the part number............#3.  It must be the oldest existing part in the NAPA inventory unless they still have a #1 or #2.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

Heck, today most modern mechanics dont know what a distributor is?

So very true.  I was on tour and stopped at a large garage and asked the man to install a new set of points & a condenser for me.  He was in his early 30's I'd say.  He said he didn't know how, because they never taught him that in the tech school.  I said, well do you have a dwell meter?  He asked me what that was..................duh!

When were the last cars with points sold in the US? 1981? Detroit was all done with them by 1976 or so. A 1981 car is 37 years old, and probably relegated to hobby use by now.

I remember in 1991 discovering none of my co-workers owned SAE tools......

On 1/2/2018 at 2:32 AM, jenz38 said:

Let Sleeving your Cylinder... ??.

The Problem is the deep rusted damages inside the Cylinder ...., only a Rebuild Kit will not fix that Problem. 

Basically that is true.  However, you can always try to hone the pits out.  If they don't go away you need to resleeve or buy a new one.  They are readily available on eBay it seems for a 39 Special.  Sleeving in the last choice.  I had one rebuilt in 2004 with a kit and it still had one deep pit at the very end of the run.  The guy said it might not last long.  That was 14 years ago and it is still working okay.  But, I suppose time is running out.  Sixteen years is the longest I've ever gotten out of wheel cylinders before a leak developed.  I had nothing but bad luck out of silicone brake fluid. 

On 1/3/2018 at 6:46 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

.  It must be the oldest existing part in the NAPA inventory unless they still have a #1 or #2.

There is a #1 ! The master cylinder on my '40 Packard was leaking so I went to a local collector/parts supplier. He looked it up and had a kit on the shelf.Seems it fits his 1940's Hudsons and even fork lift trucks that he services. He showed me a photo of a master cylinder and asked me  if the one in the Packard looked like it.It did. He advised that that cylinder fits the "bathtub" Hudsons,of which he has several.They were no longer available so he had a factory overseas make him a batch of 100 ! It is always advisable to do a bit of research.I wanted to do a tune up on my 1929 McLaughlin Buick.Starting with original numbers,then aftermarket numbers from a cross reference catalog,then going to the computer, I found that my local parts warehouse had everything in stock,points,condenser,rotor,cap,coil,and spark plugs ! Seems 1929 was the first year GM used that distributor.The 6 cylinder Chevies from the late 1950s were the last. A local supplier also had 3 new brake hoses for the Packard on the shelf. They obviously have other applications as well.You just never know.

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

2 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

There is a #1 ! The master cylinder on my '40 Packard was leaking so I went to a local collector/parts supplier. He looked it up and had a kit on the shelf.Seems it fits his 1940's Hudsons and even fork lift trucks that he services. He showed me a photo of a master cylinder and asked me  if the one in the Packard looked like it.It did. He advised that that cylinder fits the "bathtub" Hudsons,of which he has several.They were no longer available so he had a factory overseas make him a batch of 100 ! It is always advisable to do a bit of research.I wanted to do a tune up on my 1929 McLaughlin Buick.Starting with original numbers,then aftermarket numbers from a cross reference catalog,then going to the computer, I found that my local parts warehouse had everything in stock,points,condenser,rotor,cap,coil,and spark plugs ! Seems 1929 was the first year GM used that distributor.The 6 cylinder Chevies from the mid seventies were the last. A local supplier also had 3 new brake hoses for the Packard on the shelf. They obviously have other applications as well.You just never know.

That is a wonderful story.  It's worth a little special interest blurb in the BCA Bugal.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread, I decided to stop in at NAPA and see if they still had the 1937-1955 Master Cylinder rebuild kits.  Well, they do, but I think maybe not for long.  The new number is U.P. 3, NOT simply 3.  The computer found two in PA, one in OH and one in IN and maybe a couple of more.  I decided I'd better stock in a couple of kits while I still could.  So, I ordered the two in PA....$15 shipping.  The kits were $16.50 each.  Now to show you how smart I am, I came home and looked through my parts bins.  I had three new NAPA kits and four NOS other brand kits I've had for a lot of years I suspect.  Now, friends, I'll be 80 in October.  Do you think I'll ever need all those kits?  I also have two NEW or NOS master cylinders.  If ANYBODY wants to take a 2-3 kits off my hands or any of the NOS kits just let me know.  I have three cars they will fit, and I won't ever have another one.  Read my lips, no more pre-war Buicks (or straight 8 Buicks for that matter). 

I do not have any new rear one-inch wheel cylinders and only two kits on the shelf, so that's what I should be buying.  I do have two NOS front cylinders and a bunch of kits.  Beware, there are some sellers on line who are selling front wheel cylinders listed to fit 1941-1960.  Front cylinders fit only 1937-1941 and they are 1 3/32 bore.  1942 and up cylinders are 1 1/16 bore.

• 8 months later...

A really interesting thread.  I much enjoyed reading it.  It also made me very thankful for my mechanically actuated Midland Steeldraulic brakes.  No pitting, sleeving or bleeding ever.?