Info re asbestos on 56 Buick

56 Buick

Hi all, this may appear to be a random question but I will ask anyway...

Does anyone know what parts of a 1956 Buick may contain asbestos.

I would think there may be asbestos in the brake shoes, the exhaust manifold gasket, possibly the bonnet and boot sound proofing matting. Not sure where else.

It was also suggested to me there may be asbestos in any sprayed on sound proofing on the undercarriage - but does anyone know if the factory were spraying sound proofing on the undercarriage in 1956?

It seems the issue of asbestos is an issue on exporting the cars to some other countries. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Drew.

I guessing the undercoating was simply a petro chemical emulsion but back in the day  some of it MAY have used an asbestos thickener. But I've scraped a whole bunch of the original stuff and I never detected any fibers in the scrapings. The seals I referred to were oil seals, gaskets, or packing gland seals. Asbestos quantity would be very  minor. I'm guessing most asbestos would be found in the brakes and mufflers.

That said, back in the day asbestos was kind of a wonder material and was used in thousands of applications for some of which no modern material has proved to be as good.

It was used in everything from  pipes to house siding to floor tiles , industrial clothing and almost any application that involved heat. It's a shame the stuff is toxic ..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

This asbestos issue is getting way out of hand.  I have heard stories out of Australia where the government inspectors carry this to the extreme. With some of these stories, you have to wonder if the inspectors are trying to justify their jobs--taking cars apart at the new owner's expense to get rid of the offending clutch disc, or just to test it and see if it has any asbestos; holding up owners for thousands and thousands of dollars, not to mention the delays.

Civilization managed to survive the 20th century with standard shift cars and asbestos clutch discs. The only time when asbestos gets dangerous is for assembly line workers who are exposed to it all day every day, or brake shop workers who work on nothing but cars with asbestos brake shoes all day long every day. To my knowledge most if not all of those factories (including one in my home town) have all been shut down, and most of today's brake shoes are non-asbestos materials.  If every single car coming into Australia was a 70-year-old antique with asbestos brake shoes and an asbestos clutch disc, then the health of the country's citizens would be a legitimate concern. But a collector car like that is going to be what--maybe one out of every 200 or 500 cars that are imported there? And who is going to be exposed to one of those all day long every day of the year? Give me a break. Someone needs to get some common sense for a change.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

This asbestos issue is getting way out of hand.  I have heard stories out of Australia where the government inspectors carry this to the extreme. With some of these stories, you have to wonder if the inspectors are trying to justify their jobs--taking cars apart at the new owner's expense to get rid of the offending clutch disc, or just to test it and see if it has any asbestos; holding up owners for thousands and thousands of dollars, not to mention the delays.

Civilization managed to survive the 20th century with standard shift cars and asbestos clutch discs. The only time when asbestos gets dangerous is for assembly line workers who are exposed to it all day every day, or brake shop workers who work on nothing but cars with asbestos brake shoes all day long every day. To my knowledge most if not all of those factories (including one in my home town) have all been shut down, and most of today's brake shoes are non-asbestos materials.  If every single car coming into Australia was a 70-year-old antique with asbestos brake shoes and an asbestos clutch disc, then the health of the country's citizens would be a legitimate concern. But a collector car like that is going to be what--maybe one out of every 200 or 500 cars that are imported there? And who is going to be exposed to one of those all day long every day of the year? Give me a break. Someone needs to get some common sense for a change.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

I believe the problem arose when it was discovered imported new 4WD vehicles from China still contained asbestos material in brake linings, clutches and gaskets. 

The collector car market has been swept up in the response by Border Protection.

Hi all

This is one of those instances that demonstrates the absurdity of many people. It makes me want to run for parliament to try and bring reason to such issues. Unfortunately, the people who are attracted to these positions power are usually very narrow minded.

Anyway, maok I am in Australia and attempting to import. Very disappointing when at the end of the day you are trying to save the past. And Pete is right when you consider the actual number of cars that will be imported. I am happy to change out brake pads and the like but when the asbestos is impregnated and held within a seal...WTF!

Thanks

Drew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 56 Buick said:

Hi all

This is one of those instances that demonstrates the absurdity of many people. It makes me want to run for parliament to try and bring reason to such issues. Unfortunately, the people who are attracted to these positions power are usually very narrow minded.

Anyway, maok I am in Australia and attempting to import. Very disappointing when at the end of the day you are trying to save the past. And Pete is right when you consider the actual number of cars that will be imported. I am happy to change out brake pads and the like but when the asbestos is impregnated and held within a seal...WTF!

Thanks

Drew

G'day Drew,

There is s rumour some enterprising young Australians currently residing in California USA have started a business ensuring compliance for cars coming into Australia. Sounds like they can do the appropriate tests to the level required by Australian authorities and remove all asbestos material, for a fee of course!!

I'll inquire further and see if I can come up with a contact.

The most recent example of this madness I can relate involves the London to Brighton ( UK )  Rally which I'm sure we are all familiar with both in Australia and the USA.

A local acquaintance has just completed a very expensive restoration on a 1902 Renault and was preparing to ship it to the UK from Perth Western Australia to compete.

On the advice of his shipping agent he had to have the vehicle inspected for Asbestos contamination and have the appropriate documentation declaring it was Asbestos free before shipping to the UK or the vehicle could not be returned to Australia after the event.     

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Actually asbestos is hazardous during production or maybe if arcing asbestos brake shoes to fit the drums.  During use the fibers are ground down and the offending 'hooks' that hold the fibers in the lungs are not there.  Brake or clutch dust from service is no more hazardous than any other dust.  But you can't explain that to the knuckle-heads that make the laws.

• Like 1

It's crazy how the buerocrats  get carried away.  The only hazard from asbestos is breathing in fibers that can lodge in the lung cells.  These fibers are an issue  primarily from insulation.  asbestos In linoleum and gaskets should not be a problem unless you are grinding and blowing the dust around the room.  80% of people that suffer from lung cancer are also lifelong smokers also.  Exposure over a long period of time  is a problem.  

Besides clutch and brake  linings, Small quantities were used in elecrical components as insulators such as the starter contact switch fiber washers.  

Bob Engle

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, 56 Buick said:

That would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Drew

Drew

Asbestos removal/certification company. 

I have seen recently some information of a company in Los Angeles which ships cars that recently has been accredited by Quarantine for cleaning vehicles prior to shipping. I believe Quarantine do accept there cleaning certificates and may release without inspection, they may do the occasional inspection to make sure they are complying with the standards. They also have a service which will check the vehicle for any asbestos in parts etc and will remove them. I think they also offer to replace the parts but obviously at a cost and will test the new parts to ensure they are free of asbestos. This is done by an employee who is licensed in handling asbestos. I do not know what their costs for the cleaning and asbestos removal are.

The company is Ocean International and the address is 737 W Artesia Boulevard, Compton Los Angeles. Email info@oceansinternational.us

If you are looking at importing a car they may be worth contacting.