Single car club decision

junkyardjeff

Since I usually own multiple brands I got myself in two single brand car clubs and thinking about getting out of,I am in the VCCA since I have a 37 p/u and in the CVA since I have a 55 Sunliner and I am now a member of the AACA . For someone who likes a bunch of different brands single brand clubs is kind of a waste of money and time so one or two has to go so I need to make up my mind and since I might be buying another 55 Ford the VCCA might be the one that I will leave first.

Jeff,

Most folks would agree that, while other clubs, Marque clubs, etc. certainly provide unique services,

No other club anywhere provides the breadth and depth of services that we find in AACA-

in fact, several other clubs have moved their literature collections to be maintained by the AACA Library.

Hopefully you'll stay with us as we strive to serve the entire hobby.

1 hour ago, junkyardjeff said:

I can just see it if my 37 Chevy is down for repairs and all I have is one of my Fords to drive to one of their events,they just get too wrapped up in their brand to accept others.

I think you should drive your Ford to the Chevy function just to stir the pot.  It should be entertaining.

I used to be a "total Chevy man", but have become acquainted with Fords:o and other makes.  I currently own Chevys, Fords, Crosleys and a Volkswagen (air-cooled Beetle) and like them all.  I admire the engineering and construction of just about all cars, with the possible exception of the Reliant Robin.  Here's a hilarious video of a Robin road test: 

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been  a Chevy guy for all my life, I guess.

I've owned a '53 Ford and a '60 Ford along the way, but my roots are still with Chevy.

Currently I own two '51 Chevys and a '69 Corvair.

I belong to a local Corvair Club and CORSA International, also belong to VCCA and AACA.

For me, it goes beyond the nameplate or nameplates represented, for me its the group of folks WITHIN each group, and how the local group / region functions ...... or not.

Like Junkyardjeff,  I will reduce my club memberships,  but my criteria will be based  on the folks within each group and the positive chemistry that they produce, or not.

• Like 1

Yeah, but will the Reliant owners get any support here?  so they will join a single marque club.  BTW, the Reliant is a front WHEEL drive, so no wheelies.  The front wheel and engine are all one unit that rotates for those who are not familiar with the breed, probably classified as a cycle.

By the way, Jeff is active member of our Southern Chapter, AACA.  We convinced him to join a couple years ago after seeing his posts on this forum. He has made several tours and even the annual meeting this year. I was going to try to get him to do a tour next year but the sign up sheet was full for every tour month by time it got to him. Things are looking up for our Chapter.  This forum is great vehicle to recruit members for your Chapters and Regions along with getting advise to keep our cars on the road.

Tom Muth

SOC AACA

There is an interesting discussion on the General Buick forum concerning the benefits of a single marque club and ways to improve them.  It is under the heading November Bugle, which is the title of their monthly magazine.  Personally I operate three Buick cars but am not a member of the Buick club.  I maintain membership in the AACA so that is my vote.  Gary

On 11/18/2017 at 11:53 AM, junkyardjeff said:

Since I usually own multiple brands I got myself in two single brand car clubs and thinking about getting out of,I am in the VCCA since I have a 37 p/u and in the CVA since I have a 55 Sunliner and I am now a member of the AACA . For someone who likes a bunch of different brands single brand clubs is kind of a waste of money and time so one or two has to go so I need to make up my mind and since I might be buying another 55 Ford the VCCA might be the one that I will leave first.

I am confused by your statement... it is not like either club cost a lot of money to belong to. 

56 minutes ago, John348 said:

I am confused by your statement... it is not like either club cost a lot of money to belong to. 

Right now that 40 or so dollars could be used for more important things,money is going to be tight for the next few weeks due to bills that come around this time of the year.

4 hours ago, emjay said:

Yeah, but will the Reliant owners get any support here?  so they will join a single marque club.  BTW, the Reliant is a front WHEEL drive, so no wheelies.  The front wheel and engine are all one unit that rotates for those who are not familiar with the breed, probably classified as a cycle.

Actually, the Reliant Robin was a front engine, rear wheel drive car.  Google it or look at the good underside view at 5:31 in the above video.  I do recall a car that was configured as you describe (front wheel drive, engine rotates with steering), but I can't recall the make at this time.

Cheers,

Grog

On 11/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, capngrog said:

I think you should drive your Ford to the Chevy function just to stir the pot.  It should be entertaining.

I used to be a "total Chevy man", but have become acquainted with Fords:o and other makes.  I currently own Chevys, Fords, Crosleys and a Volkswagen (air-cooled Beetle) and like them all.  I admire the engineering and construction of just about all cars, with the possible exception of the Reliant Robin.  Here's a hilarious video of a Robin road test: Cheers,

Grog

OMG.........that's the funniest thing I've seen in ages........ :P

18 hours ago, capngrog said:

Actually, the Reliant Robin was a front engine, rear wheel drive car.  Google it or look at the good underside view at 5:31 in the above video.  I do recall a car that was configured as you describe (front wheel drive, engine rotates with steering), but I can't recall the make at this time.

Cheers,

Grog

I was thinking of the earlier Bond.  The distinction between the Bond and Reliant is blurred and Reliant acquired Bond, but maybe a different Bond.  This like is the turning engine/front wheel assembly.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_Minicar

3 hours ago, emjay said:

I was thinking of the earlier Bond.  The distinction between the Bond and Reliant is blurred and Reliant acquired Bond, but maybe a different Bond.  This like is the turning engine/front wheel assembly.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_Minicar

Thanks for posting that.  I only vaguely remember the car and would have never remembered the name of it, Bond Minicar.  I never realized that they were so popular and would never have guessed that they were produced well into the 1960s.  The steering gear is ingenious, and I like the fact that the kick start feature of the motorcycle engine was retained in case of battery failure.  While I don't care for the Reliant Robin, I'd, for some reason or other, like to have a Bond Minicar.

A single Car Club of Bond Minicar owners would definitely be one with a small number of members.

Here's the link to a video showing a Bond Minicar's steering mechanism and a Bond "in action":   https://www.ebay.com/motors/blog/1963-bond-minicar/

Cheers,

Grog