1937 Lincoln Willoughby V12 Limousine

CatBird

Just brought home a 1937 Lincoln V12 Willoughby Limousine. Am charging the battery and checking fluids before starting it. Seems that all is well. Appears to be a survivor in great condition. It was used by the American Ambassador in Sydney Austraila in WWII. General Douglass MacArthur used it.  Looking under the seat cushions for his corn-cob pipe. I very much like the coach-built cars.  One of 60 made. A massive car at three tons weight, with a 145-inch wheelbase and is about 6 foot 2" tall, like me, <grin> The engine is a work of art. 

Regarding the weight, I pulled it home on a triple axle trailer with my diesel dually pickup and could feel the weight!

Picture of my good friend, Jeff Knowles. He was Truett Cathy's car manager and this was one of his absolute favorites. My dog. Xander wants a ride in the back.

I love BIG. Will get more pictures later, but here is a start! BTW Can't find the AACA Willoughby Thread!!  <grin>

1937 Lincoln Willoughby (Large).JPG

IMG_0720 (Large).JPG

IMG_3839 (Large).jpg

IMG_3848 (Large).jpg

IMG_3849 (Large).JPG

• Like 6

Bill, with the front seat likely being fixed in place

in a limousine, how is the legroom?  You mention

that you're 6'-2" tall.

Were they still using wood to construct the bodies?

For some reason that I can't see,

Lincolns are underappreciated in the hobby, so I hope

you enjoy yours and take it out where people can see it!

• Thanks 1

Great car, under rated and under valued in the hobby. That is the correct trailer for a car like that. Only one in a hundred collectors use trailers that are truly adequate for the job. Enjoy your new Lincoln. Ed 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Great car, under rated and under valued in the hobby. That is the correct trailer for a car like that. Only one in a hundred collectors use trailers that are truly adequate for the job. Enjoy your new Lincoln. Ed 

I've even seen some guys buying single axle trailers to haul their lighter early 30's late 20's cars.  You wouldn't see me moving a car on a single axle trailer.  one tire blows and it's all over, except the recovery. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Bill, with the front seat likely being fixed in place

in a limousine, how is the legroom?  You mention

that you're 6'-2" tall.

Were they still using wood to construct the bodies?

For some reason that I can't see,

Lincolns are underappreciated in the hobby, so I hope

you enjoy yours and take it out where people can see it!

Limos are usually short on legroom. I think Jockeys must be the often chauffers. It is tight and seats are not adjustable, but I can negotiate it.

Don't know if the body is of wood. Can't tell. The flooring is wood,

I am surprised these are underappreciated. Seems an awesome car. The interior wood and appointments are exquisite! Similar in quality to my Auburn and Packard.

Though not have been run in about three years, fresh gas, clean carburetor, charged the battery and started and settled down with an even idle. However, I am not driving it until I get it on my lift and check things out very carefully.

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'll echo that the Lincoln's don't get their due relative to Packard and Caddy.  That looks like a great car.  You seem to be on a roll.

There are some guys on the forum with the big Lincoln 12 so hopefully they can help when it comes to sorting.

Thanks, I need V12 help. This is different from a Lincoln Zephyr V12. I have a 1947 Lincoln Continental and that engine is quite different than the Willoughby. The 1947 Lincoln is similar to a 32 Ford V8 with extra cylinders. I am not knocking the Lincoln Continental.

The V12 in the Willoughby looks like it was made by some Packard derivative. Massive, solid and well-made. Much different engine than our 1947 Lincoln Continental. How can I reach some of the V12 people here?

Edited by Bill Caddyshack (see edit history)

The body is wood. The quaility of the car blows the Auburn in the dust. The big Lincoln guy you need to talk to is in Connecticut, I can’t remember his name. Just ask around, he sells most of the parts for the late Series Big 12 Lincoln’s. Unfortunately they are very under appreciated in the hobby, as most of the cars lines are how we say, less than perfect. Great drivers, I have driven them many miles. Quite heavy for hauling around on a trailer. Personally I would chose the Lincoln over the Packard, although the Packard is a better driver and has better lines, I like the off beat cars..........I’m quite sure once sorted, you will enjoy your new toy.

• Like 1

Not fair to compare a catalog custom car with a production car like the Auburn.  The Auburn is neat for lots of reasons but build quality is not one of them, not that it is built poorly.

For a limo I like the lines and I like the color.  Almost looks good with those whitewalls too.

2 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

Bernie, we got several of Truett Cathy's cars. Which book?

I picked up How Did You Do It, Truett. I needed a post WWII success story. I just finished Aboriginal Inhabitants of the Lower Genesee Country and Destruction of the Bison , too much genocide. I need a brighter topic.

The Cathy Collection looks very eclectic. Good guy to hang out with, I'm sure.

Bernie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

Thanks, I need V12 help.... How can I reach some of the V12 people here?

Bill, are you aware of the Lincoln Owners' Club?

http://www.lincolnownersclub.com/

They specialize in the pre-war Lincolns and should

be just the club you need for your new old car.

The Lincoln and Continental Owners' Club is an

entirely different organization, and while they

theoretically address all Lincolns, they are really

focused on the Lincolns of the 1960's and 1970's.

Thankfully, there's a specialty group for almost all interests.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Hi Bill (You lucky ol' dog ? ) !  Hey , use the search box above and enter  Jack Passey Lincoln Collector . I suggest getting in touch with Linus Tremaine who was very close with Jack to the very end. Linus is handling certain assets of Jack's estate. There must be a huge library. Linus is an extraordinarily energetic and knowledgeable young gentleman. I am sure you guys will enjoy meeting. I have a couple of questions. First , does that exquisite 12 cyl Lincoln Limo smell as good as it looks ? Second , did you ever get that Starterator on your 1920 Cadillac working properly ?  Thanks for sharing your new toys with us !  Please post more interior & instrument pnl. pics when you are able !    Thanks ,   - Carl

10 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Hi Bill (You lucky ol' dog ? ) !  Hey , use the search box above and enter  Jack Passey Lincoln Collector . I suggest getting in touch with Linus Tremaine who was very close with Jack to the very end. Linus is handling certain assets of Jack's estate. There must be a huge library. Linus is an extraordinarily energetic and knowledgeable young gentleman. I am sure you guys will enjoy meeting. I have a couple of questions. First , does that exquisite 12 cyl Lincoln Limo smell as good as it looks ? Second , did you ever get that Starterator on your 1920 Cadillac working properly ?  Thanks for sharing your new toys with us !  Please post more interior & instrument pnl. pics when you are able !    Thanks ,   - Carl

Carl! Lucky to have friends like you. It smells like an old corncob pipe from Douglas MacArthur era. The car is really wonderful. Truett Cathy had himself driven on many occasions to his office. I did send a message to Linus Tremaine, waiting for a response.

The Starter Generator worked for a while and then only works when I put the car in gear, rock it back and forth so the starter gear will engage the flywheel ring gear. Did seem to be working the last time I tried. However, I have been getting some other cars and the 1920 is in the back of my warehouse. I am building an 8100sqft Museum/Garage and hoping to split the collection so I can get to a car and then drive it! These cars just seem to multiply. I miss your peculiar email! You have a challenging and delightful style.

You're no slouch as writer yourself , brother ! Your description of driving slowly on country lanes , at a pace where you can see every blade of grass had me riding shotgun ! As for me , if peculiarity brings delight , it is worth the arthritis provoking thumb tapping I must endure. Nothing too good ...............  ! Now speaking of such , you had posted asking for impressions of a 1941 Cad with a '79 engine and trans in it. I was conjuring up a very positive response , tapping away praise for whoever kept the soul of the car intact by transplanting Cadillac to Cadillac. Then the topic evaporated. ? Did you trade up or down for something else ? I posed the question of whether the car has A/C , and included a couple of pics of Sonny Wisner's DEFINITIVE Studillac. He did not originally strap A/C on that 514 cu in mill with 4 gold plated DCOE 45 Webbers bristling over the valley. First road trip in that black beauty for Sonny was to some very hot days and nights at the fabled gathering in Reno. First order of business upon return to the Northern climes was A/C. I think I am able to reconstruct the essentials of my very positive impressions , and recommendations that you keep the later T&T steering column , which IIRC was the question you had.  Keep on keepin' on , man !    - CC

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Clarification and pics (see edit history)

There is no shop manual for late 30's Lincoln Ks.   They never printed one.  They had service bulletins and I think you can buy the set through the Lincoln Owners Club.    The Lincoln Owners Club certainly is active.   They have a meet every year in the eastern half of the US, and one Pebble Beach week in CA.   They have a great publication, and also a large dinner gathering Thursday night of Hershey week at the Lodge.  Most of the large Lincoln parts guys advertise in the publication.        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a lot of the Willoughby company files/correspondence and period photographs mostly from the final 5 or 6 years they were in existence (found 35-40 years ago at a general antiques show on Rt 20 just south of Utica ,NY where WIlloughby was located ) but also photo albums they kept in the earliest years up thru about 1918. No record of who bought what cars, and most of their bodes (sedans, limousines etc) were done in small batches of 4 to 12 cars that were then trimmed and painted to the specs of the purchaser. I am working on a story of their history that most likely will appear in Hemmings Classic Car, perhaps later this year.

• Thanks 1

My thanks to you all!!! I thought that I was alone in buying this car. I stepped out in faith. I knew nothing about this car. But I intrinsically liked it and two very good friends loved this car. One of them has passed and I know he is watching! So is the other waiting for a ride in it when I get it going. My wife also loves the "Willoughby."

I am very happy. 

My friend who passed is pictured below, He drove  the 'Willoughby' to his office. He ate a lot of chicken, and I bet you have eaten his chicken also.

photos.medleyphoto.2320249 (Large).jpg

Edited by Bill Caddyshack
add picture (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Bill Caddyshack said:

I thought that I was alone in buying this car. I stepped out in faith. I knew nothing about this car....

Way to go!  Stepping out of our areas of comfort

allows us to experience things we otherwise wouldn't.

I know a Corvette fan who recently got a '62 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88;

I bought a World War I era car a few years ago when my oldest had been a 1957.

There's a lot to our hobby that is worth trying!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The Willoughby-bodied Lincolns are one of my favorites.  I compare them to a Freestone & Webb-bodied Rolls Royce as far as uniqueness and 'instant recognition'..

They have curved attributes in their designs that stand out from nearly every other coachbuilder's. 

Craig