Oil Filter advice needed

Dynaflash8

I just purchased a 1941 Buick Series 70 Roadmaster.  A couple of days ago I had the oil changed.  I purchased a reproduction oil filter from one of the suppliers.  Maybe it's not reproduction, but there was no manufacturer name on it.  Several years ago I had another 1941 Roadmaster, and, as I recall, somebody gave me the proper off-the-shelf (Advance Auto, Napa, etc.) oil filter number for one that fits this car.  When I sold that car, the boxtop when with it in the glovebox.  Now, I'm at a loss.

This "reproduction" oil filter had seals that did not fit.  The mechanic had to make a gasket.  I'm skeptical of a mechanic having to make a rubber gasket that fits.

Can anybody on the AACA site tell me an oil filter number for a WIX or one of the other standard filter companies that fits a 1941 Buick Series 70?  Would greatly appreciate your help.  I'm sure there is one.

If you still have the old filter *element* there should be a part number on the top.  That can be crossed over to a Wix/NAPA number (NAPA Gold filters are Wix but have a different prefix).  There are a number of different size "cans," each of which takes a different element.  A new filter element may NOT NECESSARILY have the correct rubber seal for the lid.

No, do not have the old filter element.  I spent a lot of time on google last night trying to cross numbers.  It seems I'm looking for PF-122 or Fram CH106PL or Purolator P-124 or Purolator P-37 (available nowhere) or Purolator L20040.  Has anybody ever heard of Fleetguard or Luber-Finer or Donaldson?  I haven't, but I have some numbers for those too.

Surely somebody with an original 41 Buick on this site has to buy an oil filter from time to time.  So, what number do you buy?  Maybe next week I'll get in touch with CARS.  Speaking of CARS, at Hershey I walked the entire field for three days looking for them, and couldn't find them.  Evidently the book was wrong, but the magazine from the 36-38 Buick group came yesterday and there, in a picture, stood Glen Cecchine, manning the CARS booth.  I couldn't believe it.

Rockauto lists the CH106pl for 11.59 each.  Their application is shown as mid-50's GM, I've gotten these for my 54 Buicks and 58 Cadillacs..  They also show the ACDELCO PF122 for 6.24, and the WIX 51121 for 8.29.  Not sure why I got the Fram when the Delco was available.  Looks like I need to add some to my next order.

Scott

9 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Speaking of CARS, at Hershey I walked the entire field for three days looking for them, and couldn't find them.  Evidently the book was wrong, but the magazine from the 36-38 Buick group came yesterday and there, in a picture, stood Glen Cecchine, manning the CARS booth.  I couldn't believe it.

They moved to a new space this year. Their space was correct in the program, but the list from the BCA booth had their old space numbers listed. I suspect you looked at the BCA List instead of the program. I had a nice talk wtih Glen at Hershey. If I had known you were looking for him, I could have told you where he was. 

3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

They moved to a new space this year. Their space was correct in the program, but the list from the BCA booth had their old space numbers listed. I suspect you looked at the BCA List instead of the program. I had a nice talk wtih Glen at Hershey. If I had known you were looking for him, I could have told you where he was. 

No, I had the Hershey book.  The field layout was crazy.  I looked for that space over and over of three days.  The lanes seemed to go around in circles.  It was like a maze, I swear it.  I looked for his big Buick sign.  I walked every aisle and never saw his place. 

Scott, probably because if you looked up your Buick by year, model, engine, oil filter, the AC PF122 does not come up as an available filter. But, as you found out, if you type PF122 into the part number search window, it comes up to buy.

Thanks for the tip! I would have searched by make, year model and also come up with no AC oil filter.

The AC PF122 fits the V-8 starting in 53. It also fits Oldsmobile V-8s in the 50s. It is also a WIX 51121.

The 53 Special was still the straight eight, and I see the Fram C4P fits the hang on the side cartridge oil filter (also WIX 51006).

The smaller cartridge filter, also common back then, is a Fram C3P, wich is WIX 51010.

I have included the specs for the WIX filters below.  If you go to the WIX website you can also get the gasket dimensions.

Product Specifications

Part Number: 51006
UPC Number: 765809510067
Style: Cartridge Lube Metal Canister Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 5.007(127)*
Outer Diameter: 4.094(104)*
Inside Diameter: 0.553(14)*
Nominal Micron Rating:

Part Number: 51010
UPC Number: 765809510104
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 4.375(111)*
Outer Diameter: 3.718(94)*
Inside Diameter: 0.553(14)*
Nominal Micron Rating:

Part Number: 51121
UPC Number: 765809511217
Type: Full Flow
Media: Cellulose
Height: 6.339(161)*
Outer Diameter: 3.778(96)*
Inside Diameter: 1.095(28)*
Beta Ratio: 2/20=5/12
Nominal Micron Rating: 25

I have discovered the PF-122 is not correct for a 1941 model.  It is a PF-112 that is correct.  The correct Purolator number is P-37.  Not sure yet if FRAM CH106PL is correct or not.

A friend, whose father owned a filling station, has his father's old book.  It lists the FRAM number as C-100.  The WIX number was PC-1-As and the Hastings number was 201.  Those fit 1939 (optional) through 1941 (which to my knowledge was not optional).  Now I need to find a cross-reference book, or find one of those numbers.  So, if anybody can help with that, please let me know.

Hi Dynaflash8,

I own a 1941 Roadmaster sedan that uses a WIX oil filter number 551001.  Napa Auto Parts has a cross-reference number 1001 for the filter.  I usually order a couple of them through Napa since they don’t have them in stock.

Hope this helps!

Vic

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

• Like 1

Here you go, do these dimensions work for you? The 551001 is an old number, now known as 51001.

Product Specifications

Part Number: 51001
UPC Number: 765809510012
Media: Cellulose
Height: 5.5(140)*
Outer Diameter: 3.718(94)*
Inside Diameter Top: 0.48(12)*
Inside Diameter Bottom: 0.552(14)*

(  )* denotes metric

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
15018 Packed 4.687 (119)* 4.25 (108)* 0.062 (2)*
15002 Packed 4.421 (112)* 3.687 (94)* 0.062 (2)*

Principle Application:

Principle Application: GMC Trucks (60-61), Clark Ross Lift-Trucks, Detroit, Gray Marine

There is a footnote in the 1958 AC filter catalog for 1941 Buicks that states if the filter is the L-1 type with rolled edge you need to purchase gasket G-140 to use instead of the gasket that came with the P-112 filter.

So it sounds like there may have been a couple of types of AC filter canisters used.

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

Thanks to BCA member allen Denny of Texas, I now have the correct gasket size for the filter.  Regardless of the filter, the size should be 4 3/8" x 3 11/16" by 1/16" thickness.  The current WIX used by various old Buick parts suppliers is slightly smaller.  For this reason, it will leak..........according to my mechanic.  But the WIX 51001 or 1001, whichever, seems to be probably the only closest one available.  There is a possibility that there is a version of the FRAM C-100 still out there.  There are a few C-100's on eBay with busted up boxes and no gaskets.  Hastings appears to be history.  The Hastings 201 became the L201 and that one has no interchange.  It is good information that CARS, Inc. offers various gaskets with their provided oil filter.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:38 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

I get my filters at NAPA . The number is the NAPA Gold 1001. Their catalog part number is FIL 1001. They are presently going for $14.49 if ordered online for store delivery. Check the dimensions to be sure. They come with two gaskets, one of which fits just fine. I usually order 2 or 3 at a time and stock up. Click on the blue link to see the item at NAPA.

Edited by Roadmaster71
price error (see edit history)

NAPA Gold 1001 is a (and is made by in GASTONIA, NC) WIX 51001.

see specs in my post earlier. 

Yes, in fact that rings a bell...................I think that is the number I used when I had my 41 Roadmaster convertible sedan.  NAPA stores are local here.  Thanks a million.  We're working through my Roadmaster now.  All of the ancient heater hoses are off for replacement.  I decided to put on all new radiator hoses while the anti-freeze was drained, and then install fresh anti-freeze.  I decided, also, to put on a new fan belt and install a five-blade fan that I purchased at Hershey.