1904 something or other (Berwick)?

Terry Bond

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1904-Other-Makes-/272826990112?hash=item3f85c17e20:g:iA8AAOSwe09Zpv86&vxp=mtr

Not sure about this - I'm seeing some home-made stuff here, but maybe that's the way it was.  Does anyone know anything about this vehicle?

Terry

I'm sure those are Model T wheels, much later as they are demountable from the 20's.  Would love to see pics of the engine.  Yes that rear end assembly looked like it was a part of something else.

Terry

Engine/motor - the "go" device.  Wonder why they are not showing a picture of that?

If it was "fixed up" a long time ago, chances are Model T tires were all that could be had. Quite a few very early cars got T wheels just because you could get tires for them. I'm not saying it's real... just that the Model T wheels don't disqualify it.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

It would make an interesting "toy" and it's probably not going to be expensive, but like everyone else, garage space is tight.  Once we add on though, there might be room for something else interesting. Let's see now, Susan bought the last one (MGTC) so it's my turn.  Meantime though, if it doesn't fit on a shelf it will have to wait a while.

Terry

The car was in our local state swap and sellers guide over the winter.  I emailed and got a youtube video.  I have an unrestored 1910 Maxwell AA (2 cylinder) all apart.  The axles and the frame were a dead ringer for Maxwell, circa A series, 1909-1912.   There was a drive chain that went through the round driveshaft hole of the rear axle, the arrangement didn't match to me.   The body appeared to be made of plywood and was much bigger and didn't fit to the frame too well at all.  I was told that the car was an electric but I got no sense of what the electric motor was.  I presume it was newer.   I don't believe the  car was originally 1904 or electric.

The Berwick was an electric car manufactured in Grand Rapids, Michigan, by the Berwick Auto Car Company in 1904. The Berwick was an electric two-seater runabout selling for $750. It had three speed positions, was tiller operated, and had a top speed of 15 mph (24 km/h).

autos5139.jpg (14730 bytes)

• Like 1