Buicks and the Great Outdoors - Camping and Trailering

MrEarl

On 6/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Elpad said:

Can anybody read the bumper sticker and the beer brand? Ribs look good!

While I can't make out the beer brand,

the middle line of the bumper sticker seems to say

"1956 ROADMASTER"

A467C200-23B7-44F5-96E8-45394AE71D37.thumb.jpeg.7a415f3c013592fa7cbe3bb743ab6abf.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Elpad said:

A0C7E9C0-7D80-4967-940D-7A5F630D53E7.jpeg

Nice, the way the paint, and the chrome/stainless trim on the trailer is intended to follow that of the Buick wagon

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 11:26 PM, Elpad said:

D13E03F2-A255-4A0C-9080-A235CA6BBDF7.jpeg

OK dude, we get it, you've got new white wall tires, now go wash the blue protectant off.....

Tha's a lot of trailer for a 364 to be pullin and would love to see his weight distribution hitch. And why aren't some of these Buick tow cars answering my call to gather in Charlotte.

22 hours ago, MrEarl said:

OK dude, we get it, you've got new white wall tires, now go wash the blue protectant off.....

Tha's a lot of trailer for a 364 to be pullin and would love to see his weight distribution hitch. And why aren't some of these Buick tow cars answering my call to gather in Charlotte.

I can’t find the RV park info you posted, how about reposting, maybe we can join you guys there with the Gemini!

4548B9A3-E1C2-454F-B336-D2215CFD4D8E.jpeg

On 6/28/2020 at 9:39 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Load equalizing hitch may work.   Cheapest and easiest is to load the trailer differently.  As in , more weight behind the axel.

I'm sure you know though that too much weight behind the axle can cause serious sway that can quickly get out of hand. Jus sayin,  for some who may not know

edit)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Heck yea, that'd be fun. Will Gemini pull a trailer with a Roadmaster on it?

The Gemini is rated for 7500 lbs capacity however, the hitch is only rated for 5,000 pounds. The 23' Thor RV is built on a Ford Transit 3500 HD Power Stroke 5 cyl diesel engine. I would not tow a trailer with a Roadmaster on it cause you have to consider many weight factors as your personal stuff, the liquids you transport as part of the RV and even the weight of the passengers (rated for 4) to include the Breakfast Burrito on your stomach. I have a 24' enclosed trailer that  I pull with my Chevy 2500 HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison tranny that plays with the Roady but the dilemma is, are we camping on the trip or are we going strictly to show the car? I err upon the camping just because will make a trip around those dates to include and take advantage of your generous invitation to the Buick Gardens RV Campground. Of course all this will be on the planning stage sooner than later. I pull a 1992 manual tranny Miata which weights 2,260 lbs. without any problems. Wish it was a Reatta.

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Elpad said:

that a Buick up front?

For sure.  A '41, with a trailer hitch bolted onto the rear bumper.  I guess that was a typical way of doing it back in those days, but it seems a little sketchy to me!

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I'm sure you know though that too much weight behind the axle can cause serious sway that can quickly get out of hand. Jus sayin,  for some who may not know

edit)

Oh goodness yes. The hitch on a trailer such as this needs about 10-15 percent of the trailer weight on the ball.  The comparison is a LITTLE  misleading, IMO. If the weight removed from the BALL had been placed in the middle of the trailer, the reaction may  [ probably] not have been as severe.  Emm-Tee had a good way to lift the back of the car AFTER the wt is adjusted/balanced.

Ben

• Like 1