Buicks and the Great Outdoors - Camping and Trailering

MrEarl

I don't have a copy of the photo, but my Wildcat had a trailer hatch when I bought it. The previous owner had used it to tow a trailer (I saw a photo years ago - I think it was a tent trailer but I can't be certain). 

Once or or twice we used the Rainier to tow the boat and truck to pull the heavier tent trailer. It's an 18' Lund Explorer and while it pulls fine, the fuel economy goes to crap. Tiny mirrors pose a challenge too. 

1 hour ago, smithbrother said:

Ben traded the tear drop for the VISOR.

Got to love that Ben, and his HOT ROD 50 more door.

Dale in Indy

P.S.  Ben wants to go fast with a parachute open over the windshield.  Actually I don't hate visors, just like to razz old man Ben.

Wanna race?

Ben

Here is a picture of my family in June 1956.  The little guy in the front is me.  While it is obvious that dad wasn't trying to photograph the Buick, he did get enough that you can tell it is just that, a Buick 4 door post, Dover White over Bittersweet.  Also pictured here are my mom, sister Cleo, Brothers Jim and Ken, and sisters Peggy and Julie.  Oh, and a bunch of fish caught in Yellowstone lake...  I am thinking we ate well that night...

5988060219138_56familyfishingforprinting.thumb.jpg.210d29e42ae5826bcdcc9c107bb3f5b9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

tn_P1070157.thumb.JPG.0fb71271dba49632f240b2336fc1f193.JPG

I originally bought the 78 Estate Wagon to take the place of an SUV in my garage... used it almost exclusively for camping and weekend errands to home improvement stores, landscaping supply and land fills!  The pic above is the car at the campground and the below shot is with a bunch of our friends kids on the tail gate (twins boys are mine).  The kids love the wagon!

tn_DSCN0524.thumb.JPG.67fc1074016d023661c598ac4d5441a6.JPG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

The kids love the wagon!

I love that wagon too. In fact I've been trying to talk a gentleman up the road from me out his '79 for awhile now. It is also yellow with wood grain. He ain't budging, but I ain't giving up. What engine is in that? 

Great shot, thanks for contributing ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I love that wagon too. In fact I've been trying to talk a gentleman up the road from me out his '79 for awhile now. It is also yellow with wood grain. He ain't budging, but I ain't giving up. What engine is in that? 

Great shot, thanks for contributing ?

That would be the 350 Buick (X code) of course!  I like my Buicks "all" Buick!  I had been toying around the idea of selling this one, but every time I drive it I change my mind!  Once the a/c is fixed, it would make a nice tourer.

• Like 2

Potlatch State Park, the view of the lake was a vista point for Lake Cushman. We were dissatisfied with the beaches at the state park, so we drove 30 minutes to the lake  We were not disappointed with that choice at all! We took three cars, but mine was the only one that comfortably seated 6.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Potlatch State Park, the view of the lake was a vista point for Lake Cushman. We were dissatisfied with the beaches at the state park, so we drove 30 minutes to the lake  We were not disappointed with that choice at all! We took three cars, but mine was the only one that comfortably seated 6.

I would love to visit there sometime...  If we can work out some details so my wife can get in and out of the camper I just might make it in the next year or two...  I grew up in Michigan where camping is great and places abundant.  Always wanted to visit the Fjords of Norway but Washington has some similar landscape and would cost less...  Unfortunately I won't take my Buick...  I'll bring my photo equipment...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dons56 said:

I would love to visit there sometime...  If we can work out some details so my wife can get in and out of the camper I just might make it in the next year or two...  I grew up in Michigan where camping is great and places abundant.  Always wanted to visit the Fjords of Norway but Washington has some similar landscape and would cost less...  Unfortunately I won't take my Buick...  I'll bring my photo equipment...

There is definitely some great landscape here. My only complain about the camping trip was the BC wildfires that dropped the haze on the horizon. Kind of gave the sky an eerie glow, but would have much preferred to see the other side of the lake in detail with a real sunset!

7 minutes ago, Beemon said:

There is definitely some great landscape here. My only complain about the camping trip was the BC wildfires that dropped the haze on the horizon. Kind of gave the sky an eerie glow, but would have much preferred to see the other side of the lake in detail with a real sunset!

I assume there is a place for trailers too?  Is it difficult to find a campsite or is there great capacity?

Some good ones Ed. That one of the trailer being pulled with a '54 Century is interesting. I have several of it in my files. The last one is especially interesting. However considering the miles it appears it has traveled, possibly understandable and not so shocking.

cont kit .JPGw trailer.JPG$7.JPGcont kit century7.JPG

$222227.JPG

$_52227.JPG