'70s Cars Air Conditioning

leon bee

I don't know enough about this and searching hasn't helped me much yet. My father-in-law left me his 75 Lincoln Mark 4, because I was the only one in his whole extended family who ever admired it. When I first drove it home, maybe 20 years ago, it caught on fire from the AC clutch. A mechanical sort of fire, although some of the wires burned. I used the car another 10 years or so, then it got parked in the weeds when gas was $4 and the water pump went out.

Now I'm getting her going again. My first inclination is to tear all that AC stuff out of my way and throw it out back. But it's all intact, except for some toasted wiring and that petrified clutch. If the car should ever get nice again, (it isn't too bad) then I suppose AC would be pretty nice. But hasn't the refrigerant changed? I'm sure other things have as well. And I know from my reading here some folks go to great lengths to get AC into cars older that this. So, sorry so wordy but if anyone can offer some thoughts on 40 year old AC, Thanks!!

I don't suggest anyone pulling out the entire AC if the car may be collectible..

That was an R12 system, and there is some still around if a person asked around.  I have zero experience in switching to the newer EPA friendly refrigerant.

Compressors and apparently your burned up electric magnetic clutch are not difficult at all to replace.  Then a leak test of entire system would be mandatory on an older system, which would not cost too much. IMO

My experience is that the Ford A/C systems were excellent in their cooling capacity and their longevity.  But I never worked on one so I do not know if just the clutch can be replaced on that compressor or not.

Regardless, I would not tear it out.  Disconnect the belt ( you obviously already did this) and leave the rest of the system there and intact until you decide if you are going to fix it.  Chances are it is still holding the Freon charge.  Leave it alone. 

By the way, the A/C system in my 72 is still on it's original charge and is still working fantastic.  The one on my 69 also had the original clutch catch fire.  After two attempts with used and rebuilt compressors I finally bought a new A-6 compressor and after flushing the system, changing all the washers with the new style ( which I got in a $3.00 kit from NAPA) and installing an in line sausage style filter in the high pressure line, a fill with R 134A has resulted in another excellent performing system.  

One thing is certain.   a luxury car with a functioning factory a/c system is very satisfying.  It's a couple of bucks now, but the ride...is priceless...

• Like 3

Refrigerant did change from R12 to 134 and 20 years ago it cost less to convert to the new than it did to add one can of the old. The price of NOS R12 has dropped considerably from its peak and a couple of cans with a coupling hose can now be had for about half the cost of converting.

A new replacement clutch pulley assembly will run you around $150 give or take depending on how well you Google. With a southern car the clutch unbolts and should pull off easy, the heat from a fried clutch coil and a few years of sitting could have caused some rusting and that might take a little muscle work to pop it free.

Agree, R-12 has come down so much, and is still around (but not  at the parts store), it is cost effective to use R-12 instead of R-134a for systems designed for it.

The value of the car is much higher with the AC working! Besides, to be original, it has to have AC installed. Maybe if you bought it in Alaska it would have AC delete....:D

We are in the midst of an overhaul of the AC in our 89 Mercedes 560 SL.  Learned a bit about AC as we work with the shop.  R12 is still available and in many cases better at least for now.  Generally 20% better cooling overall, and molecular structure a bit different than the new stuff.  When you do repair the AC, I would replace hoses, etc. At that time.   Here is a pic of the job, evaporator coil is deep under the dash on the accessory packed SLs...  this is a job that you only want to do once!

20170530_145417.jpg

a couple things to consider. have the front seal, and pretty much leak tested since that seal probably got kinda hot. i would consider conversion to 131 freon, and finally, unless you have a/c repair experience, i would go to a repudable repair professional to have the work done. good luck.

Hilarious!   Leon, my wife didn't even want to look at it!  Tech tells me the Aston Martin he did earlier this year was not as hard.  That said, shop has been great, helpful suggestions and no hard sell.  We need some small odds and ends from MB to wrap everything up under the dash and he was surprised that I had no issue with waiting a bit in order to get the best results.   Just shows sometimes the client is unreasonable or has unrealistic expectations on turnaround, etc.  A little patience can go a long way.

Not sure when put in place but most car ac systems have a pressure switch. When the pressure gets to low the switch cuts the power to the compressor so it is not damaged. 

Agree with the advice to do a leak down test with a vacuum pump. If it holds a vacuum there are no leaks. Remember that you should always add ac oil to any R12 system.

I found R-12 was difficult to find in southern (warmer) states and pretty common in the NE. I would swing it over to R-134 myself, I just did this on my 85 Caprice after to compressor was leaking. You have to be careful because the oil for R-12 and R134 are not compatible. I found Castrol makes an oil called retro A/C which is compatible with any left over R-12 oil in the system,

The creature comforts are big part of the personality of that car, and all part of the driving experience of a big 70's Lincoln