40 Buick rim color

goshencars

Can anyone tell me if the rims on a 40 Buick Special were the same color as the car? I have seen a lot of cars with red rims. Is red is correct what color matches it and was their any strips? Mine have been swaped out for 15" so I have to find 16"  and redo them. Thanks

Go to this link of the judging manual...........http://www.buickclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bca_judging_manual.pdf

now go to page 44 and find your color, you will now see the color of the wheels and pinstripe, page 29 addresses wheels and tires and you will find the info on red wheels there

12 hours ago, goshencars said:

Can anyone tell me if the rims on a 40 Buick Special were the same color as the car? I have seen a lot of cars with red rims. Is red is correct what color matches it and was their any strips? Mine have been swaped out for 15" so I have to find 16"  and redo them. Thanks

What did you do with the 15s?  are they 1940 15s?

• Like 1

The 15-inch wheels were used on Century's and Roadmaster's in 1940.  The other models used 16-inch wheels.  As to the stripe color, it varied with the color of the car.  For example my Glacier Blue 1939 used silver stripes.  My Sequoia Cream convertible used black stripes.  The one I did in dark green (name escapes me) used cream stripes.  We had an old original wheel and measured the stripes so we could get the right width on the two outer stripes and the wider one in the middle.  Initially, 1939 did not offer red wheels as an option.  Well after those restorations were finished I found literature that the red wheel option became available mid-year.  As best I can tell, the red wheel option was available all other years between 1937-1941, but there can be many a slip between the cup and the lip, so I'm not guaranteeing I'm right.  All of my literature is in Florida and I'm in Virginia today.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

I still have the 15" rims on the car. I don't have a full set of 16's yet. I can't say if the 15" rims are original or not. I bought the car from a widow. Her husband took the clips off and put a full hubcap on. I took the tire off the spare and it was a 6" wide rim.

IMG_0975.JPG

If you're making reference to the wheels shown in post #9, those are the "Formula Five" (rally) wheels that were an option on full sized Buicks.  This particular model was first available in 1973.  Other similar models were first available in 1964.

1 hour ago, goshencars said:

sorry guys but those are just hubcaps. The rims look like any old Buick rim. Here is a shot of the 15" rim without the cap.

DSCN6716.JPG

I am guessing the wheel in this picture is from a car that came from the factory with full wheel covers.  No hub cap clips. No stripes.

Ben

When I purchased my '40 Super it had 15" rims that were 6" wide. I wanted to run tubeless but the 6" was too wide for the 7.00 x 15 Lesters that I wanted to put on so I found a set of 5.5" widths. Apparently 5" wide 15's are pretty rare, even Dave T couldn't help me. But it worked out great and I painted them Dante red. No stripes as of yet, that's a ways off!

cheers, Dave

I found that they used a Dante Red used on 1930 Pontiacs. The PPG Ditzler mix number was IM-720 and Dupont # was 246-9089 but my paint supplier couldn't find the formula to mix it. Is there other numbers that someone could share for Dante Red. I found these numbers on PaintRef.com

Here are a couple of photos of the front and back of an original 1940 Century 15" inch wheel in Royal Maroon Metallic. This wheel and an original US Royal double whitewall were in the right hand fenderwell of a '40 66C we formerly owned. The short air hose was original equipment, so that the tire pressure could be checked/adjusted without removing the sidemount cover. The wider center stripe is evident here. Also, the center of the wheel, under the hubcap was not fully painted the body color. The backside of the rim was a semi-gloss black.

Allcars

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 11.22.57 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 11.24.32 PM.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...