1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

What amp breakers are on those 14 gauge wires, probably 15? You may want to consider going with 12 gauge and 20 amp. Regarding air compressors, most are 220 V and will require a dedicated line and breaker. 

... and if you have extra room on your electrical panel, I would add additional breakers so you can add as many outlets as possible (1 every 6-feet or so).  Lighting, I would go with LED, you have many many cheap options (check Costco for specials), but the extra outlets will allow you to add focus lighting where you need it as time goes on. You can also add fixtures directly over the work bench and laundry areas, either on the ceiling or wall mounted. I would also make sure your main garage lights are set up with 3-way switches, so you can turn lights on/off at the garage door as well as the kitchen door. I didn't do this and regret it every time I enter the garage through the garage door. 

• Like 2

Right now I only have 4 electrical outlets in the garage.  I plan on adding 4 more outlets.  It sounds like everyone agrees that I should upgrade my wiring to 12 gage with 20 amp breakers...so that's what I will do.  In the picture shown below...20170422_173848.thumb.jpg.71bcb2598c4ac5c3cc690b0ce5db209c.jpgI plan on moving my air compressor here.  A new outlet will be installed here and this outlet will have its own dedicated electrical line and breaker.  I will also build a new shelving unit in this same corner.

The other 3 new outlets will be jumped off of existing outlets.  Still deliberating on lights, but I am going to take everyone's advice and go LED.  

Does this sound right so far?  Thank you.

I don't want to post anything troublesome in public forum.  I encourage you to read the building code, even if you're not permitting, at least for any future resale or insurance inspections. Virginia being a commonwealth sometimes has some weird add-ons to nationally accepted practice.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I don't want to post anything troublesome in public forum.  I encourage you to read the building code, even if you're not permitting, at least for any future resale or insurance inspections. Virginia being a commonwealth sometimes has some weird add-ons to nationally accepted practice.

What Matt said. Curl up with an Electrical DIY book for a couple of nights. Depending on where your main panel is and how much of it is being used, you may even want to consider running a 60 or 100 amp line to your garage, then take off from it with conduit to wherever you need lights and receptacles.

Your library should have some books on it.  Local codes may or may not be available online.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Is this something that's available online?  I am looking, but with little luck. Thank you.

I hate referring anyone to another forum, but any question you have about garage electrical has probably already been answered or can be answered here. 

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

• Like 2

Need your opinions again.  My wife hates the idea of strip commercial lighting in the garage.  Does anyone have an opinion of recessed lighting in a garage?  I would do bright LED bulbs, but want to install enough to get good lighting.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Kosage Chavis said:

opinion of recessed lighting in a garage?

Cute, but not enough light for a work area.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, old-tank said:

Cute, but not enough light for a work area.  

I disagree  I put 16 recessed lights in my 2 car garage and even with these old eyes I can see pretty good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I put 16 recessed lights...

Sixteen?  My frugal and lazy-ass nature could not do that.:o

• Like 1

Wife and I just purchased the new washer and dryer today.  They will be delivered in 2 weeks.  We also looked at a set of cabinets for my wife's laundry area.  Still undecided on a set of lights. We looked at strip lighting and recessed lighting.  While the LED recessed lighting was bright as the sun, they were more expensive than the strip lighting.  So, we are leaning towards purchasing the strip lighting.  The jury is still out on this one. Work continues tomorrow. 

I used 12 Ga wire to all my receptacles, 20 amp breakers. You wouldn't have to do all but with the walls open it might be a good job.

Here is a photo of my garage & shop 

DSC01288.JPG

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Wife and I just purchased the new washer and dryer today.  They will be delivered in 2 weeks.  We also looked at a set of cabinets for my wife's laundry area.  Still undecided on a set of lights. We looked at strip lighting and recessed lighting.  While the LED recessed lighting was bright as the sun, they were more expensive than the strip lighting.  So, we are leaning towards purchasing the strip lighting.  The jury is still out on this one. Work continues tomorrow. 

The recessed will require more fixture for the same area....

• Like 1

Got a decent amount if work done in the garage today.  Vacuumed up all debris that was hanging around.  

I was finally able to move to electrical work.  For some reason the living room was linked up to half of the stuff in the garage.  After track-walking the wire, I isolated the living room electricity from the garage and gave it its own dedicated line and breaker.  Now I can do electrical work in the garage without disturbing the living room.

I also had the same issue with the attic lighting and the other half of the garage. Went ahead and isolated the attic lights by giving it a dedicated line and breaker.  

The new setup so far is working well.

Also was able to rip out most of the old outdated wiring and outlets in the garage.

Tomorrow, I will begin running new wire for the new oulets.  Still trying to figure out the lighting situation.  New projects are always cool, but my Buick is calling my name.  I really miss her.

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Finished up running wire for all my new outlets.  The following pictures show 5 locations.  The other 3 are in the laundry are (not shown).

Work bench area:20170529_153844.thumb.jpg.aaf5082f710970792217f7953185910e.jpgArea by large garage door:20170529_153931.thumb.jpg.4b5853dcfc964e279c6b4c0547f556c0.jpgArea of location of the planned shelving unit:20170529_153908.thumb.jpg.18a6c85e189bb99be74674bce946aca1.jpgStill need to run wire for the new lighting.  My wife and I need to make a decision by midweek.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Here in Massachusetts (at least in my town), code requires an outlet every six feet whether it be refurb or new construction.  Additionally, room must be split left side/right side with separate breakers.  If one breaker trips, you still have illumination from outlets from the other breaker on the other side of the room...very logical really.  Is it the same in your state?

We have similar codes in this regard.  My lights will be on seperate breakers from my outlets and my outlets are seperated by side (one side being the laundry area and the other side being everything else).  The only thing I cut corners on was an outlet every 6 feet.  It's more like a spacing of 6 to 7 feet.:ph34r:

Need some help guys.  I think we are going with the 4ft double strip LED lighting with 4000 lumens of brightness. I want to stay between 3 to 5 total lights on the garage ceiling (keep in mind I still plan on adding lights underneath the shelving area).  Again, my garage dimensions are 28 L X 13 W X 10.5 H.  

Will 3 lights give me plenty of light or is 5 a must?  Thank you.

• Like 1

Really a very good question KC because once things are covered up, ain't easy to go back and redo.  Try this thought, install three lights but install five light boxes.  Just pull the romex in and leave a loop of wire and a box cover.  

To me, there's never enough light. If I'm inside or under a car, I need more localized light.

good luck and be safe,

Joel

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Need some help guys.  I think we are going with the 4ft double strip LED lighting with 4000 lumens of brightness. I want to stay between 3 to 5 total lights on the garage ceiling (keep in mind I still plan on adding lights underneath the shelving area).  Again, my garage dimensions are 28 L X 13 W X 10.5 H.  

Read here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/light-level-rooms-d_708.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

3 would be enough if 8' ceiling; 5 a must for 10.5' ceiling...best if room painted white.

• Like 2