Found a Buick Hawk

A friend sent me a text last week while he was at a swap meet and found the Buick Hawk below and was I interested in buying it. I said yes and now it is mine. I am guessing it is some sort of dealer service award as there was evidence of adhesive along the front as if there was signage, plaque etc. Nice walnut base and the letters and hawk are in excellent condition. I played with it in front of the 1932 Buick 

Anybody have a guess about its purpose or age?

58f8088b3b0a4_DSC_1293-Copy.thumb.JPG.163fdd434d32f3a4ecd139fb0f823a49.JPG58f8088dcabfc_DSC_1305-Copy.thumb.JPG.12395fc4be4f661e5170529452cb965d.JPG58f80893d4fab_DSC_1311-Copy.thumb.JPG.cd1307cef078c282746009de19164f8b.JPG58f80b1e43098_DSC_1309-Copy.thumb.JPG.917caad434cebf26d2c9c2acac641fc0.JPG

DSC_1309 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1309.JPG

Edited by chuckfmtexas (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The hawk emblem and logo were used from about 1980 to 1985. It may have risen in the corporate ranks when the Oldsmobile salesmen told buyers a Skylark was a wimpy bird. I know Olds salesmen were taught to compare the Rocket engine to the Wildcat by an off hand comment like "Cat? What's that run on, tuna fish?"

If I was selling Buicks with that on my desk I would do everything I could to make the customer feel like a field mouse. I might even accidentally call the wife "Bunny"

Sport selling, been doing it for years.

Bernie

19 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

HAPPY?

Ben

I had always assumed it was an Eagle til a few years ago I read up on it and read that it is a Hawk and yea , his/her name is Happy. Or maybe I dreamed it ? I bet Roberta knows....

• Like 1

He's a Hawk. Skyeagle just didn't make good advertising copy.

FreeSpiritLeftSide.jpg.2a8a5c8f0ac19da21d7ae221204450bb.jpg

Here he is in attack mode, making a Buick statement for the 1970's conservative mod people who thought "I'm Just an Okie from Muskogee" was a neat song. (We did, out here in Western New York.)

Wouldn't you real rather have a Buick... than a Vega.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

Happy was a female Red Tail Hawk, She was also a bitch, hence the name. In 1972  Dave Siddon, Steve Hoddy, Ken Ebert and myself had a raptor ( bird of prey) rehabilitation center in Canoga  Park  Ca..Happy came to us from Bush Gardens in Van Nuys She was very large (3lb. 5oz flying weight) and aggressive, so we trained and used her to hunt and help supply the dozens other birds with the natural food they needed for good health. In 1973 we moved the center to Merlin Or.(birders will smile at that). I believe in the fall of 1974 Buick contacted  Dave about Happy. Buick had no real gas economy cars and the gas crisis of the early 70's was starting to hurt, their  answer, the Skyhawk. Happy at the time was moulting so that is why she only has 7 tail feathers (normal is 12) and some secondarys missing.We did a mass amount of work for Buick as they were also putting together a film to show to investors to raise money to re tool for the smaller cars. The funds from the Sky hawk job  help fund what is now Wildlife Images in Merlin,  now run by Dave's son David.(I'm sure they could use donations) Hope that clears up some things, Don.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...