PT Barnum was right

Terry Bond

There is a sucker born every minute.  Another one of these phony Ford Guard badges sold on ebay recently for $52.  I see there is another listed - check item number  142334163797

I wish there was a way to warn bidders.  Learned long ago emailing sellers does no good, and obviously ebay does not police things like this. 

These badges first appeared several years ago and commanded prices in the hundreds of dollars, until word began spreading that first off, Ford never used a round blue background for their emblem, it was always oval. There was also a problem when it was discovered that Ford never actually had a plant in some of the locations identified on the badges.  As I recall, the worst offender was the "Ford Guard" badge for "Belview."  It's a small Michigan community with no Ford facility ever located there. There were also some well-known experts on Ford plant badges, etc and articles were published in some of the major hobby publications.  Despite the publicity, they continue to appear, and folks that are not aware are still buying them.  The one that sold for $52 drew five bids and sold for fifty bucks more than it was worth.  There is another one currently listed on ebay (I provided the item number above) and the seller wants to get $199 for it.  He apparently is willing to consider a best offer, so we'll see how many offers he actually gets.   I guess it's like those fake brass taxi horns that proliferate.  A seller would only have to do a little research on the item before listing it to see how many of them exist.  Some sellers are honest-one is currently listed as a fantasy item with a buy it now price of 14.99.  A prospective buyer would only need to also do a little digging before spending the bucks.  Unfortunately, there are some sellers and indeed some buyers out there who just get sucked in.   Wish there was a way to warn them.  Here is a picture-

Ford Guard badge.jpg

• Like 1

Victoria, I hope I've answered your question - was still typing when your response popped up. 

Terry

• Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 11:10 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Found under the seat of a Studebaker President. Surely fake.

001.thumb.JPG.0ae2424136d99d722b0c7a6ac7abca09.JPG

Bernie

How about a picture of the back - it's a question I ask about several of the obvious fake radiator emblems on eBay and 99%  of the sellers know what they are selling but will not put it in the ad.

Buyer Beware!