What Kind of Classic Steering Wheel is This??

Derek Feagin

The method of construction is the same as the very first few thousand Pontiacs in the early part of the 1926. They switched over to an aluminium spider from then on.  There is one like this listed on ebay but I don't think it is from a Pontiac as the geometry is different. 

This is the ebay item, although I see the auction has ended   -   s-l300.jpg

Here is a real Pontiac one which looks to be smaller in diameter and have a thicker rim  -   26-Pontiac_5-Psngr_Coach-KM-08_RH-i01.jp

This is the later Pontiac wheel   -    26_Pontiac_Boat-Tail_Rcr_DV_05_Bth_04.jp

Talk about an ancient memory... When I was very little (10 or less)

dad had a 1929 Chevrolet Mail Truck behind his repair shop, somehow I pulled the horn button off and that S piece was under it. As I recall, its rubber and held some kind of contact for the horn. Being a 40+ year old memory I can't vouch for the wheel, but I remember that S as dad was NOT happy with me!

• Like 2

That is awesome! Love the memory. They say that is when memories really stick, when there is an emotion tied to them. If your dad was like my dad you had an emotion running through you when you pulled that off! :)

You are correct that it is a rubber piece that is on the wheel right now and there are two little holes in it. I am sure that is how the cap clipped onto it.

Thanks guys!!

Edited by Derek Feagin (see edit history)

1 hour ago, vintchry said:

I thought the "S" was the horn contact or tension retaining  wire and a metal cover goes over the rubber, Chevrolet used this for a number of years. Rob

The very first picture shows a hole at each end of the S identical to the horn button on my 31 Chevrolet. A spring steel wire bent into an S sunk into the rubber and each end of the wire went through those holes and into the steering wheel. It was all capped off and hidden by a thin steel cap that snapped over it all.

Howard Dennis

Looks like a 1929-30 Chevrolet steering wheel.  

Chevrolet when to a different non-wooden style steering wheel in 1931 that was used up through approximately 1936 when it changed again in 1937.

The rubber horn button looks to be 1931 - 36.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)