Milton Driveway Signal

RansomEli

I receive emails from ToolTopia, which sells automotive tools at a decent price. There's always something to buy at a good price.

Today's email was a big surprise. They are selling a Milton Driveway Signal Bell, something I haven't seen or heard in years. 

I'm tempted to buy one just to hear that wonderful 'ding' as you drive over the rubber hose.  Maybe put it inside my REOtorium (where I work on my REO and Franklins).

I remember walking to and from second grade. We passed an auto repair shop with one those hoses running just before the gas pumps. And, of course, we always stepped on the hose to see the mechanic run out. He was always mad at us, but somehow he never seemed that mad.

The memories that bell brings back.

MiltonBell.png

Edited by RansomEli (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Can someone explain how these bells/signals work?  I ask as I see there is an electrical cord attached to the bell.

I thought they were air operated and thus requiring an air supply.  Is the air inside the hose attached to the bell all that is required to trigger the switch that causes the bell to ring?

12 hours ago, D Yaros said:

I thought they were air operated and thus requiring an air supply.  Is the air inside the hose attached to the bell all that is required to trigger the switch that causes the bell to ring?

Correct. Small puff of air sealed in hose works moves a piston which triggers electric contacts to close which triggers a solenoid which hammers bell. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that bit of info.  I see the hose is available on the Milton web site.  I am toying with the idea of getting one for my garage.  To hear the bell would bring back pleasant memories for me.  It could also serve as an alarm to stop the car when the bell chimes so as not to run into the work bench on the back wall of the garage!  Do not know how much the Mrs. would like hearing the signal go off every day?

I found an old original at Hershey maybe 25 years ago.  A few years back, I bought a new hose from Milton.  It works every time just like it did in the DX station when we were kids.

I pull the hose in to the shop in the winter, as the plow will raise hell with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I have an old one and have also wondered of a source for the hose, so thanks Frank for that info. 

Does anyone have any idea when would have been the earliest these would have been used?

Great question. I found on their website a chronology where Milton Industries started business in 1943 and the famous bell was patented in 1959. I suppose it could/would have been in use prior to 1959 but for how long? Maybe 1-3 years....maybe?

• Like 1