Fall Hershey 1962

Curti

Thanks, I don't recall seeing that when it was posted last time. 

I wonder how much each of those cars was worth back then, especially because a bunch of those cars are super-high dollar now (like the Auburn Speedster).

9 hours ago, Doug Novak said:

WOW, 1962 I was 12 years old. Nicely done Film! I don't think Video had been invented yet... 

They didn't have video cassettes then (to my knowledge),

but they did have 8mm and 16mm videotape (film) on reels.

At the Macungie, Pa. car show just a couple of years ago,

I saw a car fan filming the event on an old 8mm or 16mm 

movie camera, just because he liked preserving and using

old equipment!

This one never gets old even for veteran forum members.

Interesting that even into the early 60s, people were not showing up to an event like a car show & swap meet in shorts or jeans.  I like the guy in a dress shirt and slacks with the tire, or the two guys with Model A bumpers, who would look right at home in the office.  Also cars in the background are interesting as well - the SL and T-bird of course being just interesting later model used cars driven to the meet to look at the collector cars..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Interesting that even into the early 60s, people were not showing up to an event like a car show & swap meet in shorts or jeans.  I like the guy in a dress shirt and slacks with the tire, or the two guys with Model A bumpers, who would look right at home in the office....

I noticed it too, Steve:

Evidently people dressed better back then.

Blue jeans are for working in the garage or mowing the lawn!

When visiting a large city department store, my mother would dress up.

Most women in the film are wearing skirts or dresses;

some men were wearing jackets, and a few ties.

I didn't notice any sneakers.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I noticed it too, Steve:

Evidently people dressed better back then.

Blue jeans are for working in the garage or mowing the lawn!

When visiting a large city department store, my mother would dress up.

Most women in the film are wearing skirts or dresses;

some men were wearing jackets, and a few ties.

I didn't notice any sneakers.

Maybe there was a giant Gatsby party afterwards.

Craig

On 2/6/2017 at 8:08 PM, Curti said:

Have our new forum members seen this Video?  Click on the Hershey 1962 .

Curti...nice of you to think to post this for new members or new people browsing the forum.  It is starting to drift off topic which is the norm lately.

Regards,

Peter J.

I really enjoy this.  The 62 meet was ahead of my time by a few years, but the first time I attended, I shot an 8mm movie from the top of the stadium.  Brass cars were still inside the stadium that year.  I'll need to dig that out and see if I can get it digitized. Yes, it does seem people dressed a bit better back then.  How often do you see ties and jackets at Hershey these days?

Terry

I may have been there, not sure. Went twice with my parents and family friends in the 60s. I remember it as 62 and 64 but could be off by a year. I remember the car show all being in an area where the maintenance building is now east of the stadium. Of course there was only the blue field and it wasn't full yet. The family friend was a vendor he had a space to sell brass lights and horns and such that he had restored, off a card table behind his car. One thing I have chuckled over many times since, he said when we pulled into his spot, we will cover the whole field quick to see if there are any bargains and then go back over it slower to see if we missed anything. Can you imagine that strategy today.

Didn't go as an adult till 1971. Had a space the next year and every year since.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:52 AM, Curti said:

Does anyone know what the background music is?

My guess is the sound came from a mix of sources.

1.) Maire Brennan - the Irish band named Clannad lead singer

2.) If I recall  Brian Eno was producing quite a few Gaelic sounds in the early 1980's and he was experimenting with an upbeat and heavy synthesizer influence that were very similar. This has his signature from what I can tell..

3.) David Evans, (goes by "Edge" in the band U2) was also experimenting with similar sounds a few years later around 1986 on the soundtrack for a movie called Heroine or "Captive" which also had the influence of Michael Brook and Brian Eno.

Ultimately, I think it's very possibly a mix of several parties. It has David Evans tempo, with Brian Eno's great knack for this kind of mix and the voice I'm guessing is Maire Brennan or maybe even Patty Smyth. Has me curious for sure... if you find out let me know.

Great video by the way. Surprising,, we didn't see more smokers puffing it up

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1