Kanter visit/scrapped parts

Bhigdog

1 hour ago, Eric Wahlberg said:

Peter, When we lived in Pottstown, Dick Ludwig and his wife lived a few houses from us.  At that time, in the 80's, all they were selling were Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge and Dodge trucks, although there was an old small Triumph sign on the corner of the building. I have heard that Dick is now residing in a retirement home and the house has been for sale for quite some time.

Hello, Eric.  Yes I was a day late and a dollar short.  Now that you mention it I do recall the Chrysler franchise.  Alas...still have the TR6.

Regards,

Peter. 

If I was closer I would go $0.033 each, give you a ten dollar bill, and bring coffee just to get a look at that limo project you are working on.

They will sell for $8 to $10 each but not fast. A friend of mine who passed away last year went through a storage building I had full of odd toys. He had two grades, one for toy collectors, and one for antique collectors. I did very well selling the good stuff to knowledgeable people and the chaff to unknowing "investors".

Those hubcaps can be hung on nails throughout common tourist antique malls and out of any context to their actual value. You are in New Jersey, there should be a couple of those places near by. Drop off 20 or 30 of them and you'll have a couple hundred bucks in your pocket. Better to be a memento of a trip than melted into a Prius.

Oh, if you are in a tourist place near the Mason Dixon line and see a bunch of license plates innocuously placed through the shops, smile, they are the remains of 4,000 I bought a few years back.

Bernie

Guest fredkanter

You're welcome to stop by anytime.  We've had people buying them for decorations over the years, today I culled some more, perhaps 200 with a total of 500 so far and still have more to go.  Found 2 more 52 only senior NOS hubcaps to complete the set for the 1952 Ray Dietrich designed and built one-of long wheelbase limousine I'm restoring.  I've found in our warehouse 98% NOS of everything ahead of the firewall starting with the windshield wiper motor and pivots to the bumper guards including a NOS hood and complete grille

10 hours ago, fredkanter said:

You're welcome to stop by anytime.  We've had people buying them for decorations over the years, today I culled some more, perhaps 200 with a total of 500 so far and still have more to go.  Found 2 more 52 only senior NOS hubcaps to complete the set for the 1952 Ray Dietrich designed and built one-of long wheelbase limousine I'm restoring.  I've found in our warehouse 98% NOS of everything ahead of the firewall starting with the windshield wiper motor and pivots to the bumper guards including a NOS hood and complete grille

Wow wish I had that kind of NOS in my warehouse. I just have a bunch of iron junk and a pile of NOS moldings that I culled about 80 percent of this fall.  Now I just have a bunch of junk.  Not much treasure, that's for sure.  I get excited when I find an NOS set of points or a rotor for my Cord.  

Fred, I am so glad that you commented about this. It gives all of us a reality check - not all old car parts are worth their weight in gold (or even have good chrome!)

A recent renovation of my garage here made me clear everything out so it could be insulated and expanded - stuff saved that "I'll use one day" was in there for 40 years, some did get saved, other stuff went to the curb , as 1) I didn't want to put it back in the nice new clean garage 2) wasn't worth storing to take to the one flea market I do every year - Hershey - to have someone offer me $5 for a $15 item.

Thanks Fred for all the decades of supplying parts to keep our old cars on the road. Walt Gosden

I shipped a Pierce-Arrow hub cap off to New Zealand a year or so ago. I advertised it as hanging on the wall of my garage for the last 20 years and time to thin out. I saw, online, that the buyer owned a P-A with wire wheels. I wrote his and cautioned him that I had listed the hubcap as a wood wheel version. He replied that he knew. He was going to hang it on his wall for another 20 years himself. I like stuff like that.

Fred, thanks for the invite. I have been following that limo job with pleasure. It really looks like something I would tangle myself into. I came close on a friend's '50 Lincoln Cosmopolitan convertible sitting on a '41 Cadillac chassis, stored outdoors for 30 years. The only thing that saved me is my lack of "back burners".

On the Packard burner is this one, hoping to surface for one of your headliners. I heard they are the best out there.

01918.jpg.62b0ed091748f0484666688933ddfa36.jpg

The previous owner rechromed a few items, including the license plate light bezel. I sure wish he hadn't taken the housing off with a torch. He burned some pretty good holes in it. That is another of those parts that sits on a shelf forever, certain parts of certain parts.

I'd sure like one.

Bernie

There is no market for some things, on a smaller scale if you list something on eBay, and RELIST it forever and drop the price to the cost of shipping, nobody is out there. Scraping gives you storage space for worthwhile things, and a few bucks in your pocket. Bob

Real catch twenty two isn't it ,,,

those who need parts on the west coast have no idea what's on the east coast, especially if the seller is only willing to sell brick and mortar style locally.

If you were to advertise online and list anything 1928-32 Dodge Brothers or Graham Brothers I'd be a buyer but the cost to ship out here may not even be worth the effort for either of us as you well know.

It's sad but I completely understand why some guys  make the call to scrap parts. Sure, someone somewhere may need it, but it's just not worth hanging on to if it's not profitable and if there is zero interest in the items. I put scraps in the alley weekly where I live so the illegals can help themselves to it. At least someone can use it I guess..

Ebay is a joke but until we get another legitimate less inexpensive source of distributing parts worldwide to folks that really need them, it's just the unfortunate reality of where the hobby is currently. As for swap meets, I only load stuff that I know will be easy to physically move and sell quick - stuff that I can sell yard sale cheap and still make out good since I bought it right,,... No need to take the old touring top bow clamps cause most folks have no clue what the hell they are looking at when they see them anyway (as an example), and frankly, I get tired of fielding that question "what do you suppose these are for ?"  only to have them dispute it...

Yeah, it's a real catch twenty two, but I would imagine it's been that way for sometime - Unfortunately I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Guest fredkanter

I don't find ebay a joke, we sell over $1 million there annually and buy lots of hard to find items for our own cars and for resale.  Their fees are commensurate with advertising costs and less than the cost of attending a flea market to sell.  If there were a lower cost way of selling online i'm sure another company would appear.

As for it not being worth it to ship from the east coast to the west coast, I'm sure that would be news to our customers in the Netherlands, South Africa, Hong Cong etc.

We have a positive attitude and very positive results.

1 hour ago, fredkanter said:

I don't find ebay a joke, we sell over $1 million there annually and buy lots of hard to find items for our own cars and for resale.  Their fees are commensurate with advertising costs and less than the cost of attending a flea market to sell.  If there were a lower cost way of selling online i'm sure another company would appear.

As for it not being worth it to ship from the east coast to the west coast, I'm sure that would be news to our customers in the Netherlands, South Africa, Hong Cong etc.

We have a positive attitude and very positive results.

True, depending on the parts and the need. But for the most part my post was in response to the parts that no one needs/wants hence cannot give them away. As I said, if they were 28-32 DB I'd be a buyer no matter how small or large the parts if in usable condition.

I ship worldwide as well, (who on ebay doesn't) but to say the fees and customer support is not a joke is someone who doesn't mind being fleeced.

Obviously, eBay is a very successful, MASSIVE sales medium. It works better than anything else I know of, for many different kinds of items. The problem comes about, in MY opinion, when you are trying to sell very low-cost items. For example, if you were to sell a damaged used Packard hubcap on eBay for $5, the buyer would have to pay MORE than that for shipping. Moreover, the clerical work, packaging, and shipping hassles make $5 transactions not worth it for the seller either. And these days buyers have lots of power on eBay transactions, so many of them will demand "cheaper" shipping, or threaten you with bad feedback. After going through a few transactions like that, a seller is likely to develop an unhappy opinion of eBay. But it's not eBay's fault. It's merely the cost of shipping ("cost" as expressed in both time and money). 

The natural solution is not to sell items on eBay unless you are pretty sure that they will bring a basic minimum amount of $$$. 

It's true that eBay can sometimes be a hassle, but if you think about it, EVERY method of selling vintage car parts can be a hassle. Like getting flooded out by rainstorms at Hershey or other swap meets, or trying to describe the condition of a used fender to a long-distance buyer sight-unseen, or advertising locally and having people show up at your front door, or hurting your back loading lots of heavy car parts in a van or trailer, etc, etc. It's just the way it is....

Edited by lump (see edit history)

Guest fredkanter

Low cost items cannot be reasonably sold on ebay.  I see no single candy bars, bars of soap etc AND I don't complain about not being able to find them on ebay.  I walk down the street to the market.

It's free to list on eBay and you'd be surprised what people will buy. I sold a few "worthless" items for a few bucks.   I've even had people pick stuff up from 500-1000 miles away.  The more you list the more chance someone will also ask you about something else you might have.  With "buy it now" you can keep it on auto relist and pay nothing unless it sells.  

If you are looking to clear up space in a hurry, then there are other previously mentioned options to eliminate worthless parts lol.

When it comes down to it, there is no one single best way to sell parts, but at least eBay lets you list for free with no cancellation fees at all.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Guest fredkanter

I deal with reality and not "what if's".  I'd like to know what YOU would do:  We have about 200 NOS 55-56 Clipper dog dish hubcaps and have sold 8 in the past 35 years, that makes a 700 year inventory.  We also have some used ones.  We've sold our 40,000 ft bldg and are consolidating in our other 125,000 ft bldg....What would you do??

Also 55-56 senior hubcaps, have hundreds of used ones, sold 22 in last 32 years, about a 300 year inventory.  I've already scrapped all scraped and dented ones....What would you do??