Interior/Vinyl Dye Question

John348

Does anyone know who or where I could get a custom color mixed to dye my door panels? I am finishing up the restoration on my 60 Impala and the interior is original and in very good shape. I was getting ready to install it and I noticed these spots on the vinyl. Will not clean off, and it just on the top of the panel. I don't know what it is, I am thinking maybe it could be the glue bleeding through, I just don't know. I have had the car for 30 years and am the second owner, these are the original door panels. Even any thoughts of what these spots are would help. It appears on all four panels on the top edge.......

130.JPG

128.JPG

126.JPG

My local auto body supply shops both do custom matching of vinyl paints.  I believe the brand name they use is SEM.

Good luck!

Andrew

3 minutes ago, Akstraw said:

My local auto body supply shops both do custom matching of vinyl paints.  I believe the brand name they use is SEM.

Good luck!

Andrew

Thanks, I just figured they did body paint. I have used SEM paint on other interior items but never realized it could be custom mixed, I will see what i can come up with

John,

I think any reputable automotive paint store that handles PPG or any other brand paint can match that. You should be able to take one of the panels to the store and they should be able to match it. I know the store that I use here in Richmond could do it.

9 minutes ago, real61ss said:

John,

I think any reputable automotive paint store that handles PPG or any other brand paint can match that. You should be able to take one of the panels to the store and they should be able to match it. I know the store that I use here in Richmond could do it.

Thanks Tommy, I never would have thought of it, then again I never needed it done. Everything is pretty much done on the car but the final install of the interior. I am loading it up once the rain stops up here NY  and heading down to Ocala over the weekend and will finish it up down there. There is a good paint shop down there I had to use for some other things in the past,  Here is a photo I took of it yesterday

147.JPG

Thank's to everyone for their advice. i will give it go.I never had to or knew anyone who had to have vinyl dye mixed I just did not think it was done. The car now is ready to get loaded in the trailer once the rain breaks from northeast. I spoke to a friend of mine in Ocala and said he had a good paint shop that has done it for him on a saddle interior and he was more then pleased, so that will be the game plan now. I am hoping to have it ready for the Southeast Meet this February, which is looking realistic if the door panels

On another note,  I had such bad experiences lately. It seems like many of the old timers are either retired or no longer with us who were experts in their trade, and I guess some things just never get passed down.  This past summer I needed to have some paint mixed up for some interior parts on my dash. I decided to use lacquer with the hopes that match would be that good and by using the same material I though my chances would be better, so my options were limited.  The company who mixed it advertises that they specialize in lacquer paint, and besides I had seen their full pages ad's for at least the past 40 years. (I am not going to mention their name on the site) Anyway it was not even close, and I had even sent a sample for him to match it with, that is the part that bothered me the most. I called up spoke with the guy who mixed it and told him that I was going to drive out there that day about 100 miles away. When I get there I find out he went home early, and he knew I was coming and he had my cell number.  I spoke with the shop foreman, and he promised me that he would make it right and to leave everything. I get a call two days later telling me that he did not have a flatting agent and that it was not available. Why did he not know this when he did the original mix? This was inexcusable to me.

Again many thanks to all  

I was just reading this and I'm with Restorer. I know that some cars with vat dyed leather get a factory touch up with lacquer if they get a scratch or nick. If you are going to spray you are only looking at a pint of paint before adding thinner. A pint of green that is close and some yellow, gray, and darker green toner should get you just what you want. A camel hair artist's brush will let you dab until you are happy.

My '64 Riviera has a dark green interior that was dyed black in 1989. The dye job is imperceptible today except for wear on the drivers side piping. Florida is a good place to dye. We cleaned the vinyl then rubbed it down in direct sunlight with lacquer thinner. It was hot and pliable when we sprayed it. My guidance came from the used car dealer I bought the car from. Over the years mine has stayed nice while I have seen others peel off in strips.

I have become very distrustful about people working or providing service to my cars. I do know that they will cheerfully tell me they will do it over if I am not happy. I guess that was my "take away". If they can do it over, I can too.

Bernie

Edit: Oh! Nice looking Chevy!

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Hi John

Great car! We must live someplace close to each other on long island (I am in Floral Park) but to possibly help in you question:

I have gone to a company in NY City that has an immense selection of Fiebings leather dye (4 oz starting at $6.50),and  acrylic dye (starting at 5.99 for 2 oz)

You may be able to apply with an air brush if you experiment on something else first. Place is Manhattan Wardrobe Supply 245 West 29th Street , NY City

between 7th and 8th Avenues, closer to 8th on the north side of the street . 8th floor (they may have expanded and are on two floors now) hours: 9 am to 7pm.

They have all kinds of stuff for theatrical costume needs, the dye they sell mostly for actors/actresses to change shoe color, but of course a lot of stuff they sell can apply to be used in restoring cars.

I have used the leather dye on my pre war cars and it is great stuff. they have a web site so you can look at some of the stuff they sell. There has to be over 40 colors of dye available right there in their store.

Walt

sSEM has an excellent vinyl dye which can be custom mixed.  Their interior formula go back to the mid 70's.  You will need to find a automotive paint supplies who carries and mixes SEM products and they can color match it for you.  Be sure to use the SEM prep products before you spray.  I did some interior parts over 15 years ago and they still look great with no peeling. 

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

Hi John

Great car! We must live someplace close to each other on long island (I am in Floral Park) but to possibly help in you question:

I have gone to a company in NY City that has an immense selection of Fiebings leather dye (4 oz starting at $6.50),and  acrylic dye (starting at 5.99 for 2 oz)

You may be able to apply with an air brush if you experiment on something else first. Place is Manhattan Wardrobe Supply 245 West 29th Street , NY City

between 7th and 8th Avenues, closer to 8th on the north side of the street . 8th floor (they may have expanded and are on two floors now) hours: 9 am to 7pm.

They have all kinds of stuff for theatrical costume needs, the dye they sell mostly for actors/actresses to change shoe color, but of course a lot of stuff they sell can apply to be used in restoring cars.

I have used the leather dye on my pre war cars and it is great stuff. they have a web site so you can look at some of the stuff they sell. There has to be over 40 colors of dye available right there in their store.

Walt

Hey Walt,

I am up in Glen Cove, I never would have thought of the costume business as a source and I worked in Times Square for 15 years. I am heading down to Florida with the car over the weekend. Made some calls and I think I will have it handled, many thanks for the suggestion. I should be at Westbury Gardens this June. Way too much rain here lately and the cold is coming Thanks for the compliment of my car.

11 hours ago, real61ss said:

John,

Car looks great! I don't know why but I remembered it as being a Bel Air ht.

Looking forward to seeing it at Ocala.

Tommy

Hey Tommy,

I wish it were a Bel Air! it would be super rare, don't see too many of those. Thanks for the compliment. It will be there! Hope things are going well with you

2 hours ago, 61polara said:

sSEM has an excellent vinyl dye which can be custom mixed.  Their interior formula go back to the mid 70's.  You will need to find a automotive paint supplies who carries and mixes SEM products and they can color match it for you.  Be sure to use the SEM prep products before you spray.  I did some interior parts over 15 years ago and they still look great with no peeling. 

Thanks I have a shop who has both SEM and PPG so in about 2 weeks I should have some updates