Well now I've heard everything

Matt Harwood

Regarding not wanting anyone to see your license plates  If you were really rich your cars would be leased to one of the corporations you own. The registration address would be an office suite in a skyscraper in Manhattan. The only name on the registration would be some corporate employee you never met. This employee would not recognize your name or have any idea who you were or what state you live in.

23 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

In addition, I  know of people who have covered up the plates in their photos because they post on message boards and don't want other people to know what states they live in for privacy reasons.   That may be information that the owners don't want other people to have, as it could help identify the owner.  Of course, I completely understand if that's not your choice.  But it's at least a rational line of thinking,  it seems to me.

If you take the picture with your smart phone and use that digital file to post the picture, it is possible to determine the exact GPS location where the picture was taken.

• Like 1

Well in London once was asked if a BBC announcer, my accent (or lack of) is best described as "mid-Atlantic bland" being a blend of Baltimore and south Florida.

Not enjoying the sales process I prefer to advertise a car as less than it is or include more than is mentioned. Have sold cars on pictures of the underside ("no rust" has a different meaning here than many places) before.

ps I generally prefer not to display a plate because it is my property (Florida) so is linked to my person and does not go with the car also have several sequential plates. Do not mind that people know I live in Orlando but my exact address is not placed online.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

If you take the picture with your smart phone and use that digital file to post the picture, it is possible to determine the exact GPS location where the picture was taken.

That's only true if the phone user hasn't turned off the geotagging feature for the camera, which takes about five seconds on an iPhone.  Those who are particularly concerned with their privacy have probably already done this  -- and certainly should if they haven't already.

https://www.lifewire.com/remove-geotags-from-pictures-taken-with-your-iphone-2487322

On 12/23/2016 at 7:09 AM, West Peterson said:

I knew a collector car dealer who would keep raising the price until it sold. I think it worked in a lot of cases for him.

My wife's X was into real estate.

He had a 40 of land for sale and it wasn't selling so they doubled the price and it sold within a week....... :blink:

Two important things about pricing a car:

1. It has to be priced high enough to give the perception of value.

2. It has to be priced high enough so the buyer doesn't treat the purchase too lightly.

These are considerations I make for the sake of the car's future. It's a tough job, but someone has to ask enough to look out for the car.

Bernie

More often then not- an appraisal is nothing more then a beat down on price. Happens all of the time in real estate. Buyer spends 300. for an "expert" opinion from a 2 bit loon and automatically thinks they are going to get 10k or more off of the price

of the car or home.

went through that 5 years ago myself and had to tell the "expert" where the numbers were. He then proceeded to ask me all about the vehicle, because he knew nothing. When the buyer called me to lowball me, I simply told him that he did nothing more then throw his 300. bucks in the trash. Needless to say, he wasnt expecting that response........... he'ld obviously done this more then once and wasnt too pleased at the result.

On December 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Matt Harwood said:

This is a little bit of a rant, but in this business, you get used to hearing the same thing over and over ("Let me check with my wife," being my least most favorite).

Just a rant, but I've never heard someone say that a car was just too good to buy before. How stupid is that?

LOL ... I've never had to "check with my wife".

But, I have heard of someone saying a car was too good to buy it.  I had much the same reaction as you, Matt.

As for that "appraiser" ... good grief, what credentials did he have?  Apparently, the potential buyer didn't do homework to find someone actually qualified to look at the car ... another sign the potential buyer was really never a buyer.....

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile" | Thurl Ravenscroft | 'You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch'