Stearns Knight

alsancle

• 2 weeks later...

Just passing along to the Stearns Knight crowd (this isn't mine, I saw it while surfing fbook....) in the off chance someone here might need this, know of someone who needs it, or just wants to grab it as garage art or hold till someday they can really make a Stearns Knight owner a very happy person.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/602994808228476/

click the link for additional pics

image.png.56f8e3679985a17f9b08fddc9a57af42.png

image.png.17c1778691eb538f9b342abfdac1aaa4.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pughs said:

What brand of tires did you put on it? It looks great in black-walls. Now all you need is for the belt-line color to match the fenders.

Steve,  I believe they are Firestone 700-20s that I got from Coker.  If you are ordering I will go find the receipt.

Somewhere between the Auto Salon in NY and the one in LA the fender color was changed.   It needs to go back but I don't want to take that on.  At least not right now.

1929 Stearns-Knight J-8-90 Convertible Victoria-1 - Copy.jpg

StearnsKnightJ90-Brunn-Newspaper-1929.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pughs said:

I'm not ordering but thought that they looked really good on your car.

They are Firestones…….as Phil and I still have the battle scars from installing them. In 1952 someone purchased new Firestone snap rings, painted them, and installed them. Fortunately they were very nice condition and we plated them as new, along with removing the clown orange and going back to the original color. Overall this car is an excellent example of a purchase that took a screwed up world class one off car, and for some effort and a bit of money the car was elevated back to its stunning factory looks. Moral of the story……..spend the time and effort to make your car back to factory delivered condition. It adds tons of value and makes the car have eyeball that drastically improves its value. This is a great example of a truly one off auto show car that went from a run of the mill look to a stunning showpiece that can now be driven reliably. Having worked on countless cars I can say that this project was one of the most rewarding sortings I have  ever accomplished. Having had it in my garage for over a year, I was impressed with its quality and driving characteristics. One of the great CCCA sleepers I have ever had my hands on. Looking forward to driving it on a caravan soon. 

PS- notice the hideous side mount mirrors were removed. I’m not convinced that Herman Brunn wanted them on there in the first place. He had much better taste than that. Also, one doesn’t realize the actual “ presence” this car has……..it’s the same size as a Duesenberg J. And better looking than half the Convertible Victoria's that made it onto a Model J chassis. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2023 at 3:20 PM, alsancle said:

I know. Tell that to Ed.

Pry your wallet open with a crow bar……..and don’t be so cheap. I’m tired  of all those happy meals you bought me while slaving away on the Stearns. A Kobe steak is in my future on you credit card………..always wanted to try a 250 dollar steak……….especially on your dime. By the way, I’m only eating 25 percent of it, and giving the rest to my new puppy………just to pixx you off.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

On 5/24/2023 at 12:32 PM, pughs said:

AJ,

$150 is way too much for the cardboard Stearns-Knight model engine (see below).

s-l1600.jpg.a6c0860f3ca22edce7120f7bcb9ad359.jpg

I'll choose the postage stamps option for payment. In 1920, it cost 2 cents to mail a letter.  Today, its 63 cents.  Sending 25 letters at 63 cents is $15.75.

Craig

Regarding the side mount mirrors on the spare tires. Both period photos/images show the car with the mirrors. in the era.

I like it either way. BUT having owned ( still do) cars and driving them of this era it is not easy to keep track of what is at your sides when you are focused on going straight ahead. To many people driving currently are less then courteous to the owner of an old car especially an old car with the top up and a tiny rear window - blind driving.  Driving defensively you need mirrors.  Top down driving can be better but up here in the North east the top totally down is not something that is year round.  Also musses up what few strands of hair one has on ones dome if of a certain vintage. 🤨

47 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Regarding the side mount mirrors on the spare tires. Both period photos/images show the car with the mirrors. in the era.

I like it either way. BUT having owned ( still do) cars and driving them of this era it is not easy to keep track of what is at your sides when you are focused on going straight ahead. To many people driving currently are less then courteous to the owner of an old car especially an old car with the top up and a tiny rear window - blind driving.  Driving defensively you need mirrors.  Top down driving can be better but up here in the North east the top totally down is not something that is year round.  Also musses up what few strands of hair one has on ones dome if of a certain vintage. 🤨

Walt,  I have never found the sidemount mirrors to be very useful.   Ed uses the following suction cup mirror and I have started adding them to all my cars.  Easily removable and you barely notice it when it is on the car.

Amazon.com: 3.35" Round Blind Spot Mirror, Ampper 360 Degree Rotate  Adjustabe Rear Facing Mirror Long Arm HD Glass Convex Rear View Mirror :  Automotive

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Walt,  I have never found the sidemount mirrors to be very useful.   Ed uses the following suction cup mirror and I have started adding them to all my cars.  Easily removable and you barely notice it when it is on the car.

Amazon.com: 3.35" Round Blind Spot Mirror, Ampper 360 Degree Rotate  Adjustabe Rear Facing Mirror Long Arm HD Glass Convex Rear View Mirror :  Automotive

Where do you mount these? Glass or body? 

1 hour ago, pughs said:

Do the suction cup mirrors stay on until you take the off or do they tend to lose suction over time and fall off at inopportune moments?

They are lever activated and I think if you don't unlatch the lever you can't pull them off.  Have not lost one yet.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Sold for 1K hammer.   Neat piece but probably went to a better home than me!

Casually mention to your wife tomorrow (Father's Day), that you saved 1,000 dollars..... but don't be too specific and see if the comment will fly without her asking too many questions.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, alsancle said:

After detailing.  Will be sending it to the shop in the next couple of weeks to get the doors turnbuckled and a new top.   Hopefully I'll have some top down pictures by this fall.

IMG_3545.JPEG

It looks great. I will enjoy seeing some top down photos of it. Will the new top be that similar dark black color? Is the beltline black or a dark brown?

9 hours ago, John Bloom said:

It looks great. I will enjoy seeing some top down photos of it. Will the new top be that similar dark black color? Is the beltline black or a dark brown?

John,

It is dark brown.  Somewhere between Dec 1 1928 at the Commodore hotel in NY and April 1929 at the Biltmore in LA the fenders were changed from the Dark Brown matching the beltline to the lighter brown you see now.    No idea why.   Would like to change it back but that would require me to spend money.

The original top material was beige and that is the material that came along with the car when I bought it.   The fabric is in the original material so I'll be using it. 

• Like 1

That sounds great.  I wasn’t sure but thought it looked like the wires were also dark brown?  Matching the beltline and original Fender color?

as for painting the fenders, publicly anguish over that change often....in particular in front of your wife, then on a Friday night after a busy week when you are out to dinner with her tell her you’ve decided to not change the color of those fenders and instead to appropriate those funds to taking her on a great vacation.

In the meantime if you buy any more cars, hide that fact from her until you are away together on that vacation, and then casually mention it.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

That sounds great.  I wasn’t sure but thought it looked like the wires were also dark brown?  Matching the beltline and original Fender color?

as for painting the fenders, publicly anguish over that change often....in particular in front of your wife, then on a Friday night after a busy week when you are out to dinner with her tell her you’ve decided to not change the color of those fenders and instead to appropriate those funds to taking her on a great vacation.

In the meantime if you buy any more cars, hide that fact from her until you are away together on that vacation, and then casually mention it.

If you move things in and out enough they will lose track (and interest) pretty quickly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Perhaps something to do with an add-on winter shutter system???

The car does appear to have factory shutters.  Originally they're thermostatically controlled.  There was an extra boss cast into the front of the cylinder block that housed the mechanism.  That's not to say that something wasn't changed later and you might be right.