Number 1 challenege of owning a Classic Car

Guest Vinnyagus

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Read post 77

Mr P,

I got it (I think)

You rather modify used cars because they have computers, and you have that skill and wanted us to know that, That's great but what I did not (and still don't) understand how your post telling us how you adjusted the cut in temp of the fans on your used car is addressing the question asked: what number 1 challenge of owning a classic/vintage car. I guess everyone has a different opinion of what a classic/vintage car is, and I do forget that at times.

I prefer not to use the word classic when describing cars, antique, and vintage really are best. Classic is a designation given to the select few cars. The O.P. used it, so be it in this case.

The common challenge that seems to be shared by all is the need for space regardless of the age of the vehicle. Staying with the same vehicle brand as pointed out by Joe P and Helfen does make things a lot easier, I myself stay focused on one brand also. I do have to admit it allows me to consolidate many my resources and simplify many things.

On 5/21/2016 at 10:40 PM, Grimy said:

There's no "h" in WOODILL

I was hook after I found this on the net.. Both cars are out of everyone's price range .. Including me..

Kf car guy - I  do not have any cars listed in the Darrin Registry  ....I took a look tonight..

wow3.JPG

darrin rost.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, nick8086 said:

I was hook after I found this on the net.. Both cars are out of everyone's price range .. Including mine..

wow3.JPG

Nick,

I'm confused.

You just stated that you can't afford a Darrin.

The Darrin Registry shows that you own 2 Darrins.

Did you sell both and now can't afford to buy another one?

PS  They aren't out of everyone's price range.

Some own more than one Darrin, and one owns 10!!

Edited by kfcarguy
comments not in correct location. (see edit history)

One thing that can be frustrating and entertaining at the same time are the folks who think they know but don’t. Most are open to hearing the correct answer, but others are just the type that believe they have the right answer and I am wrong no matter what my experience is. Amphicars have historically had the same mis-information regurgitated over and over throughout the years so much of it is now taken as fact. Most of which is either flatly wrong or filtered through many mouths and now is unrecognizable. Many still believe that most of them sunk, were made by Kaiser, Nash, Chevy, Triumph, Mercedes, Alpine or any other manufacture of a cr with fins they think of.

I have had a couple people come up to me in while in my Amphicar and rattle off all kinds of old incorrect information to me. I am the type that wants to know the correct answer so I start out by saying that I specialize in these cars and here is the correct info…. One guy absolutely got pissed off after he told me that his dad bought a yellow one brand new in 1958. I said that they were not built until 1961 the factory did not produce a yellow one. He insisted again and would leave until I allowed him to be “correct”. Very odd, but I figured it was best to back away slowly and leave.

I watched as a father was telling his 8ish year old son all the “facts” about the Amphicar. He pointed at my custom hand controls and  said “this is how you make it from a car into the boat, by pushing here” then said “the wheels go up into the body and the engine is up here (pointing at the trunk)” I opted to not say anything as I didn’t want Dad to be embarrassed at all. I quietly handed him one of my business cards with the top 20 questions on the back for his future reference. On the other hand, I have seen younger kids ogle over the Amphi and spit out a bunch of actual factoids about them to the Dad who was befuddled that their kid knew so much of them.

In the end, I have met so many very nice folks because of my collectable cars in gas stations, grocery store, stop lights and anywhere I have them that I feel blessed to be the caretaker of my cars. Driving my Amphicar is like having a famous friend, they gravitate to you, but they really want to meet your friend.

Will Rogers said it best: "It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so." Any more all I trust from memory is that something exists and where to look it up. With the Internet, finding an answer is easy, it's asking the right question that is hard.

11 minutes ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

In the end, I have met so many very nice folks because of my collectable cars in gas stations, grocery store, stop lights and anywhere I have them that I feel blessed to be the caretaker of my cars. Driving my Amphicar is like having a famous friend, they gravitate to you, but they really want to meet your friend.

Well said/written!  I don't think I've ever seen one of the principal joys of owning a collectible car so succinctly explained. 

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Guest Vinnyagus
On 5/21/2016 at 0:52 PM, Dandy Dave said:

So Vinnyagus, Original poster. What kind of car and year range are you thinking of? Dandy Dave!

So many cars from the 60's that I like, but I have to say that I love the Austin-Healey (Mk III 1966).  I've never owned one, but I've been in a few.  There was an Austin-Healey show not far from me the other weekend but I wasn't able to attend which was a shame.

1966 Austin Healey.jpg

Guest Vinnyagus

...and I must say I don't currently own a "collectible", "classic", "old" (all of the above) car. I have a modern day, every day vehicle.   It's something I would like to own one day, hence starting this topic.  Some of the cars being shown and mentioned here are pieces of art and of great engineering.   Appreciate all the points and feedback being mentioned!

I had a good friend who was my family's Prudential agent in the early 1960's. He moved to an apartment in the city when I was 16 and gave me his running, driving, freshly painted '56 Golden Hawk. He sold his XK `40 OTS for around $900 and gave me the DHC parts car. Then he traded his Volvo 122S for a new GTO. He went on to become a High School teacher and focused on collecting Corvairs; over 30 of them on his farm spittin' distance from Watkins Glen. A year before he passed away we were sitting at a cruise night talking. He had just broken ranks and bought an early '70's Thunderbird. He was very sincere when he told me that he had missed out on owning a lot of nice cars by being so focused on Corvairs.

Avoiding a singular specialty or passion can be a challenge. I have a list of all the cars I have owned and it is quite diverse. I do, however, stick to the GM cars just because I have had better luck with them. That hasn't kept me from embracing way more Jaguars than a sane person should ever own.

Bernie

I took the cure for Jags around 1974 but still need to know the oil pressure in my cars is OK. As it says in my .sig, all my cars from the last century are GM but this are MOPARs.

If you are driving a Bug Eyed Sprite in 1967 and are hit head on by a '66 Chev you will crush both your knees, spend 6 weeks in hospital, almost a year on crutches, will have to drop out of college for a semester, will lose your draft deferred status, will be drafted but will fail the physical. Later in life you will require 2 knee replacements and will suffer from arthritis. So far that has been my biggest challenge owning a collector car though I guess it wasn't actually collectible when I owned it.

15 hours ago, Vinnyagus said:

So many cars from the 60's that I like, but I have to say that I love the Austin-Healey (Mk III 1966).  I've never owned one, but I've been in a few.  There was an Austin-Healey show not far from me the other weekend but I wasn't able to attend which was a shame.

1966 Austin Healey.jpg

I repair an Austin Healey 100 several years ago for a customer and friend. Biggest problem was the transmission had bad gears. If you fine one be sure to get it on a lift and check the bottom. The frames are thin and do rust. Link to the one I repaired, Look here if your interested.

I always liked the Boston Beany Sprout but frankly do not care for 4 cyls unless DOHC. That goes for the Healy 100s also (find it fascinating that they blocked off first gear because the trans could not handle the torque). Always liked the big Healy 3000's particularly with overdrive but that was in my Jag period. 998cc is enough for slow roads but the erector set tops meant when it rained, if you could not find an overpass, you got wet & in cold weather you were "less cold".

For a small sports car I'd suggest the FIAT 124 Spyder before the bumper laws took effect. Great ventilation, DOHC 4 (1600 is probably the best), disk brakes, five speed trans, one hand top, just keep the crank oil slinger clean.

Nice thing about 124s is that they are very reliable when kept properly and are undervalued IMNSHO. Just watch out for rust.

Double bubble hood indicates a later car.

1024px-Fiat_124_2000_Spider_1980_%289697

17 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

If you are driving a Bug Eyed Sprite in 1967 and are hit head on by a '66 Chev you will crush both your knees, spend 6 weeks in hospital, almost a year on crutches, will have to drop out of college for a semester, will lose your draft deferred status, will be drafted but will fail the physical. Later in life you will require 2 knee replacements and will suffer from arthritis. So far that has been my biggest challenge owning a collector car though I guess it wasn't actually collectible when I owned it.

Once your wife rides in the car they want one... She is in the yellow one..

I think I have one car with seat belt.. If I hit a 55 chev it will not matter..

No belt in this one..

IMG_5181.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

17 hours ago, padgett said:

I always liked the Boston Beany Sprout but frankly do not care for 4 cyls unless DOHC. That goes for the Healy 100s also (find it fascinating that they blocked off first gear because the trans could not handle the torque). Always liked the big Healy 3000's particularly with overdrive but that was in my Jag period. 998cc is enough for slow roads but the erector set tops meant when it rained, if you could not find an overpass, you got wet & in cold weather you were "less cold".

For a small sports car I'd suggest the FIAT 124 Spyder before the bumper laws took effect. Great ventilation, DOHC 4 (1600 is probably the best), disk brakes, five speed trans, one hand top, just keep the crank oil slinger clean.

Nice thing about 124s is that they are very reliable when kept properly and are undervalued IMNSHO. Just watch out for rust.

Double bubble hood indicates a later car.

1024px-Fiat_124_2000_Spider_1980_%289697

I've been working on one of these Fiat Spiders for a customer for a few years now. Seems they only have the funds to have me work on it about one day a week or less it seems lately. It is a 1980- 2000 California Fuel Injected model. We are getting close and now they need to spend some money on the interior and get the top installed. That oil pan is close to the ground and the one I've been working on is no exception. It had some dents and looks like it lost its oil at one time with a crack or hole in the pan. Not for off road driving or ruff and rocky back roads. I went though the engine and replaced all the bearings and rings, Valve job, so no worries there. Dandy Dave!   

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

6 hours ago, nick8086 said:

No belt in this one..

IMG_5181.JPG

Funny thing was, I was wearing a seatbelt. Likely saved my life. But I was not wearing a belt out of any thoughts of safety but rather because it was considered "cool" to wear a seat belt in a sports car in my crowd.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Been wearing seat belts since the early sixties, harnesses for serious driving. Helps to stay in place and keep the passenger out of your lap on a hard turn.

Might not be a bad thing kind of depends who the passenger is

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, nick8086 said:

No belt in this one..

IMG_5181.JPG

Nick;

What is the car shown in the above photograph?

Cheers,

Grog

post-93154-0-44517000-1448396840_thumb.jpg

Vinnyagus,

This isn't a car from the 60s or an Austin-Healey...but at least it's in the U.K. I put this photo up just because it's so excellent. The motor car here may or may not appeal to you, but last I heard the owner was interested in selling. He has a wedding hire business, and uses this 1927 Peerless Landaulet in that line of work, in addition to a Rolls-Royce of the same year and livery. Maybe you recognize the castle, in East Sussex. The owner of these autos would probably state that the biggest challenge in keeping them is found in the axiom:  

currus raro fiunt de partibus rarum. 

(Rare Cars Are Made of Rare Parts) 

Photo by R. Wanmer

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)