Trailer Rental Central PA

A word of caution on towing. The last time I checked, in PA if you own the tow vehicle , the trailer and the trailer contents then the contents are covered under the standard automobile insurance policy. If you do not own the trailer or the contents then the trailer contents must be insured separately using a cargo insurance. It is best to check with your agent to see, especially if what you are hauling is of value that you cannot replace without financial hardship. Typically the cargo insurance is inexpensive but worth a thought.

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

if renting a Uhaul box truck, mention that you are going to carry a horse buggy and not a car. they wont rent it to you if it has gas and oil in it................!

from past experience.....................

You forgot to tell the rest of the story.

1.  There is no tie down hardware in a U-Haul's floor.  How are you going to ratchet the tie down straps?  

2.  If the U-Haul box truck breaks down say in the middle of nowhere the tow truck driver will ask what you are hauling.  They do this to make sure a load of "goods" could shift and cause damage.  If they see you have a car in the truck you are going to have a problem.  They will not tow the truck with a car loaded.  You must unload the car and leave it on the side of the road.  The driver is obligated to report this to U-Haul or whatever rental outfit you choose.

3.  Wonder how your insurance company is going to take it should you have an accident?

This was all explained to me about 15 years ago by the local U-Haul franchise as I was thinking of doing the same thing.  Maybe the rules changed but that is the way it was then.

Peter J.

Just pay someone to haul it for you. I recommend a major professional hauler or an experienced hobbiest. You probably don't have the right truck anyways. 16 feet and 78 inches are strange measurements unless it is very big brass, any car worth hauling is worth doing it in a safe manor.

• Like 1

1.  There is no tie down hardware in a U-Haul's floor.  How are you going to ratchet the tie down straps?  

the uhaul box truck I rented did have rings in the floor on every corner

yes, if you want to find 20 reasons for why you cant do something- of course you are correct....................

Ive never lived my life that way- always enjoyed wild women and a good strong drink!

Many trailer rental companies will not rent a trailer to you, unless the vehicle that you are towing the trailer with, is on their list of approved tow vehicles. My friend wanted to rent a car trailer from one of the major rental companies and was denied because he was going to tow the trailer with his Dodge van. He had to rent a truck from the company to pull the trailer. The company rep gave him several reasons that all sounded legit. All sorts of legal issues and reasons to protect the rental company. 

Not sure how close this place is to you. Very Reasonable. I've been looking to rent an enclosed trailer in western PA and nobody rents them. TP is the only place I could find anywhere in PA. Talked to one trailer sales place locally and they said insurance costs are prohibitive. TP Trailers is into a lot of services so they can probably spread the insurance cost over many services.

http://www.tptrailersinc.com/

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Not sure how close this place is to you. Very Reasonable. I've been looking to rent an enclosed trailer in western PA and nobody rents them. TP is the only place I could find anywhere in PA. Talked to one trailer sales place locally and they said insurance costs are prohibitive. TP Trailers is into a lot of services so they can probably spread the insurance cost over many services.

http://www.tptrailersinc.com/

Thanks for the TP Trailer tip, Jason.  

I also live outside Reading as the OP, ChryslerMike does.  Hopefully he will pick up on your lead as Limerick, PA is only a 35 minute ride.

Regards,

Peter J.

52 minutes ago, Stan Kulikowski said:

Martin Buildings in Ephrata did have some enclosed car trailers to rent. You might try contacting them. I don't remember their dimensions off hand.

Hello, Stan.  Been awhile.  I am sending ChryslerMike a PM so he can check your Martin's lead and Jason's TP lead.

Regards,

Peter J.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for comments and suggestions. I did find a private rental outside Lancaster.  And for the future I have a trailer on order.  I was told Merry Christmas as you just bought your own Christmas gift....

And now to make the trip to Williamsport for the Grand Nationals.  Gee Williamsport in the middle of nowhere...