Parting 53 thru 56 Buicks

MrEarl

MrEarl and friend Kowpi after a day of turning wrenches to the left so that you, my friends, can turn your wrenches to the right.

IMG_6793_zpscg4kutvx.jpg

Over the next 2-3 weeks I will be pulling and listing parts from mainly 54,5's and 6's but have a few parts from a 53. I generally try and clean most parts so they can be inspected for cracks, breaks etc. I describe the condition as honestly and to the best of my knowledge as possible.   Let me know if their is anything in particular you may need. Please email at  1954buick @ gmail dot com

BCA Members receive 10% off any eBay Auction items 

All proceeds go to the build of the Buick Sales and Service Garage

• Like 7

Here are some engine and other parts recently pulled from a 60K mile '56 Century estate wagon. They can be found listed on my eBay auction here >   http://www.ebay.com/sch/54roadmasters/m.html?item=162036827133&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Intake Manifold SOLD

P1010802.JPG

Sold V

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tOkAAOSw14xXEWuZ/s-l1600.jpg

Sold V

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/S~YAAOSw7n9XEXBa/s-l1600.jpg

Sold V

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cAcAAOSwLmVXDm4N/s-l1600.jpg

Sold V

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Zr8AAOSwgn5XEXSU/s-l1600.jpg

Sold V

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4D4AAOSwaGtXEXfD/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/u1cAAOSw1DtXD8A3/s-l1600.jpg

From a 53 4 door Roadmaster

The passenger side is SOLD, the driver side is up for free grabs, pay shipping.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qisAAOSw6wRXAIrU/s-l1600.jpg

4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Also that heat shield.  I don't think I ever saw one of those.

Yeah I'm curious as to where that even came from. My car came 100% complete (save throttle spring return bracket and dashpot bracket) and I've never seen anything like that. Also interesting the starter is green, mine came off black.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Whats the deal on the harmonic balancer? I'm interested.   Also that heat shield.  I don't think I ever saw one of those.

The harmonic balancer starts at $40 JD, if it doesn't sell make me an offer.

7 hours ago, Beemon said:

Yeah I'm curious as to where that even came from. My car came 100% complete (save throttle spring return bracket and dashpot bracket) and I've never seen anything like that. Also interesting the starter is green, mine came off black.

The "heat shield" is the starter shield.Generally the first time the starter starts giving trouble and the owner has to start using a screwdriver or pliers to jump the solenoid, or the starter gets replaced,  the cover gets pulled off, laid aside and never put back on again. Sort of like the spark plug covers the first time or so that the plugs are replaced.   What's so nice about this piece aside from it's nice condition is that the tapered end (self tapping?) bolts come with it, the buyer won't have to scrounge around for bolts and likely use the wrong thread and strip the bolt holes out.   

Seeing it still under the car was my first hint that the 60K miles showing on the odometer might be the first 60K. As I started seeing the original paint on the starter AND starter solenoid and other engine parts and the lack of wear on pedals etc, I realized the odometer most likely hadn't been around once.

12 hours ago, smithbrother said:

Fitty Fo, 

You sure got that BEAUTIFUL Buick shirt dirty, YOU bad!

Wishing you well in selling,,,,,

Dale in Indy

Tha's actually  pretty clean for the end of the day. Thanks for the well wishes Smitty.

1 hour ago, Fr. Buick said:

Lamar, fun to see you out and having fun.  We all appreciate your efforts on behalf of a lot of Buicks and their owners. 

Compared to  Construction Pre-Bid meetings, change orders and assessing liquidated damages on lame contractors like in my previous "job", yea, I guess you could call it fun. The fun is knowing  the proceeds will help in getting the garage finished so I can get my babies in and back out on the Buick Highway.  Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1

Thought I'd share a picture of the above early 55-56  intake manifold (on right) alongside a 53-early 55  manifold I bought at a swap meet several years ago. The color match of the repainted one (which I assume was painted with the Bill Hirsh paint) and the original paint is almost dead on.

P1010897.JPG

• Like 1

Good evening.  Would you happen to be selling any A/C parts for a 55 Buick?

Power brake master cylinder?

Power seat assembly?

Power window assemblies?

Also, a question...are the engine pulleys the same between the 264 and 322 engines?

Thanks so much.

I have some 55 AC parts. No 55 PB parts. I have a '56 6 way seat. I have 54 power window assemblies that most likely will interchange with 55. 54 264's had cast iron  pulleys vs a harmonic balancer with pulley's, pretty sure the same for 55. What engine do you have and what do you need as far as pulley's.  email me with what model 55 you have and what you're doing ie if you are going for totally correct or custom or ?  and where you are  1954buick@gmail.com

There is another member here who had advertised some 55 Buick AC stuff a week or so ago, you may want to check that.  

Lamer ,

will the  power seat set up fir my  Century?

if so I am in, being very tall the 6 way seat would be a better fit for the long drives.

I could send you the funds at the same time as the power steering.

Steve

Guest Chuck56R

Looking for a 322 bellhousing and flywheel for 3 speed manual transmission.  I think the 264/322 bellhousing is the same but flywheels are unique. Thanks

1 hour ago, Chuck56R said:

Looking for a 322 bellhousing and flywheel for 3 speed manual transmission.  I think the 264/322 bellhousing is the same but flywheels are unique. Thanks

The 322's came with a heavy duty 6 bolt top transmission and the 264 a lighter 5 bolt. The bell housings are different as well as the flywheels. I have some spare 322 3 speed stuff and can probably help, will look see. Considering your user name, you must have a Super, what year. You may want to introduce yourself up in the General forum :)

14 hours ago, superbuick said:

Lamer ,

will the  power seat set up fir my  Century?

if so I am in, being very tall the 6 way seat would be a better fit for the long drives.

I could send you the funds at the same time as the power steering.

Steve

Greetings I'm in the process of helping a friend with a 1950 series 61 Cadd install a 56 Buick power seat from a Roadmaster. We are putting it in his car becuz my 55 Cent measures 49" approx center to center of the tracks that bolt to the floor and the 56 Roadie track measures 55". The mechanism that rotates to move both sides is three tubes of successive smaller diameter inside one another that have levers welded on the passenger end. I decided cutting them to disassemble and shorten then welding back together with the levers on the ends "clocked" correctly as from the factory was more than I wanted to take on. I would love to find one from the Spec/Century, but I'm almost guessing they only came in convertibles in the smaller series from the research I've done. When we tested the unit it would certainly be nice to have given how adjustable it is! Sorry to wax long, but I thought, "expiring minds want to know" PS If you have one for the small series you want to sell let me know, I'm a fan! Still Buickling, Greg

Guest 54fins

A lot of differences between roady wide body seats and century seats. The Skylark used a Roady seat and yes, the mounts are different. I made a simple bracket as the Skylark seat mounts were hacked in as an afterthought when they were built. My advice would be to save your wide body seat for a guy restoring a Skylark or Roady but its not worth the trouble putting it into a small body. 

20160420_164557_resized.jpg

20160424_075625_resized.jpg

2 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Greetings I'm in the process of helping a friend with a 1950 series 61 Cadd install a 56 Buick power seat from a Roadmaster. We are putting it in his car becuz my 55 Cent measures 49" approx center to center of the tracks that bolt to the floor and the 56 Roadie track measures 55". The mechanism that rotates to move both sides is three tubes of successive smaller diameter inside one another that have levers welded on the passenger end. I decided cutting them to disassemble and shorten then welding back together with the levers on the ends "clocked" correctly as from the factory was more than I wanted to take on. I would love to find one from the Spec/Century, but I'm almost guessing they only came in convertibles in the smaller series from the research I've done. When we tested the unit it would certainly be nice to have given how adjustable it is! Sorry to wax long, but I thought, "expiring minds want to know" PS If you have one for the small series you want to sell let me know, I'm a fan! Still Buickling, Greg

Look for one out of a '57 Olds. Much more readily available as it seems that a lot more Olds had power options than Special/Centuries. I have parted a few '57 Olds for power options for Buick projects. Don't have any parts left except a power window set up for a '57/'58 small series Buick's or all series of '57/'58 Olds 4DR HT. I think there is or has been an Olds power seat set up for sale on eBay with a buy it now price. If you are interested and can't find the add let me know and I will see if I can it.

Gary

Edited by g-g-g0
Edit (see edit history)

Guest Chuck56R
13 hours ago, MrEarl said:

The 322's came with a heavy duty 6 bolt top transmission and the 264 a lighter 5 bolt. The bell housings are different as well as the flywheels. I have some spare 322 3 speed stuff and can probably help, will look see. Considering your user name, you must have a Super, what year. You may want to introduce yourself up in the General forum :)

Difference in bellhousings

5 bolt transmission bell housing from 264, note the 2 lower mount bolt holes. The casting was made the same but drilled differently

100_3860.jpg100_3863.jpg

6 bolt bellshousing from 322, note that the bolt is lower than the 5 bolt bellhousing

100_3864.jpg100_3865.jpg

and on the front, there is a hole on the 5 bolt/264 bellhousing

100_3877.jpg

but not on the 322/6 bolt bellhousing. again, note that the casting numbers are the same.

100_3878.jpg

Will try and dig into my pile tomorrow and see what I have Chuck.

• Like 1

Guest Chuck56R
13 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Difference in bellhousings

5 bolt transmission bell housing from 264, note the 2 lower mount bolt holes. The casting was made the same but drilled differently

100_3860.jpg100_3863.jpg

6 bolt bellshousing from 322, note that the bolt is lower than the 5 bolt bellhousing

100_3864.jpg100_3865.jpg

and on the front, there is a hole on the 5 bolt/264 bellhousing

100_3877.jpg

but not on the 322/6 bolt bellhousing. again, note that the casting numbers are the same.

100_3878.jpg

Will try and dig into my pile tomorrow and see what I have Chuck.

Great pics and explanation.  So for my application I can make either work given that I will need to do some machine work to open the center input shaft hole, drill and tap to match the later saginaw trans, etc.  If you have a spare throw out bearing fork that would be great too.  This is a bit like Christmas, looking forward to seeing what parts emerge from your stash!!  Thanks, Chuck

According to Willie in your other Want to Buy thread, you may not need this. But, If you end up using either one of these, the 264 one would be the way to go as the 322 3 spd bellhousings are getting scarce and expensive when you do find one. Trying to get out to the barn to dig.

Guest Chuck56R
On 4/25/2016 at 11:58 AM, MrEarl said:

According to Willie in your other Want to Buy thread, you may not need this. But, If you end up using either one of these, the 264 one would be the way to go as the 322 3 spd bellhousings are getting scarce and expensive when you do find one. Trying to get out to the barn to dig.

I was admiring your Authorized Buick Service shirt and noticed the Yuengling Lager, glad to see you can get a good Pennsylvania beer in Georgia!  Yes, I think the 264 bell housing will work great where I have to do some machine work on it anyway, no sense cutting up a 322 bell housing for the same purpose.  I'm guessing there are a lot more 264 bell housings out there because the bulk of the 3 speed cars were Specials and pre-55 cars that came with the 264 and standard trans.   

The first 2 pics below are the '55 Super in the midst of the rear suspension upgrade.  The second 2 are what it looked like when I drove it home, good solid car with 4 minor rust holes that required small hand made patch panels.  

My grandfather's '52 Chev came home last night, surface rust only - floor and cab are solid.  Bed is very straight, only minor dings in the tailgate.  Can't wait for a little Nailhead torque and a couple of my grandkids in the cab with me!!

IMG_3266[1].JPG

IMG_3267[1].JPG

DSCN2338.JPG

DSCN2349.JPG

IMG_3326[1].JPG

That's sort of a vintage t-shirt, from Bobs Automobilia back about 10 years ago, before they stopped making them with the big Buick logo on the front. And Yuengling Lager is my beer of choice until mid summer when it gets hot,  then Rolling Rock with lime and salted top is a better thirst quencher. ;)

Love the Super!!  Arctic White over Condor Yellow with green interior, same as my Buttercup, '54 72R. That color combination was referred to as lemon and lime in the day.  Tha's a sweet 52 truck too. Nice patina candidate?

OK, I got in the barn today and started pulling stuff off the 3 speed shelves. I had forgotten what all I had stashed away, mostly for my Texas Pete Special hot rod project that was traded in for the factory 3 speed Century "54 Muscle". I for sure can furnish you with a bellhousing and flywheel. and fork. Question: Do you already have the Saginaw tranny? You know the 53-56  6 bolt Buick and Oldsmobile transmissions were some of the toughest 3 speed in existence back in the 50's early 60's and were popular with hot rodders of the day. If you want to go old school with that '52 Chevy you may consider using one in it. And I "might"  could help with that. Then your challenge would be how to tie into the universal joint....

Spent the rest of the day cleaning more parts to sell and was dark when I quit so didn't get pictures but will get some of what I've got for you tomorrow.

Glad you're enjoying the forum, hope you'll make us a regular pit stop. and uhh, Grandkids...you got grandkids?

Offering the intake manifold on the left for $150. It is off a 54 but will fit '53 thru '56. It will need cleaning and painting. The one on the right just sold on eBay for $200. email me at  1954buick at gmail dot com if interested.

P1010897.JPG

Guest Chuck56R

I'm most likely going to put a GM 8.5 diff in the '52 pickup and I do already have 2 Saginaw 3 speeds with different 1st & 2nd gear ratios.  The Saginaw yoke setup will be much easier to use with an open drive line and not hard to find a replacement trans if I have any issues. 

And yes grand kids!!  I was born when Dwight D. was still in the White House!  

The 6 way power seat is sold. Thank you Steve, I'll separate the frame from the springs,  get her boxed up and a quote from Fastenal and let you know the shipping.   I wrestled it out of the wagon pulled the backrest off, lubed the worm gear and all joints and hooked power up to it. The motor worked great moving the worm gear shaft for vertical forward and back, tilt forward and back but only back in horizontal where it only clicks ( it may be stuck in the all the way back position). Problem was though that although the worm gear spun, it did not move the actual mechanisms.

I tapped on the "joints" and applied more PB Blaster and got the tilt to function but that was it. By this time my battery was giving up so I gave up too.

Hopefully Steve can get her functioning in all movements. Had I not needed the $$ and didn't have too many "projects" ahead of it I would have love to had this in my little Special driver. :- (

• Like 1

I might be able to do the "U Pull it" some time later this year. I agree that the '57 Special transmission is the heavier 6 Bolt?? that was used in 54 up. Would you part with one of those? Also do you have a junk wheel from a 54 thru 56 40 series or 54 thru 55 50/60 series? I need just the "snap in" clips (5 of them) that hold dog dish hub caps on. They do not have a rivet in them. There is a hole in the clip that fits over a dimple in the wheel.

Edited by g-g-g0
Added request (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

I might be able to do the "U Pull it" some time later this year. I agree that the '57 Special transmission is the heavier 6 Bolt?? that was used in 54 up. Would you part with one of those? Also do you have a junk wheel from a 54 thru 56 40 series or 54 thru 55 50/60 series? I need just the "snap in" clips (5 of them) that hold dog dish hub caps on. They do not have a rivet in them. There is a hole in the clip that fits over a dimple in the wheel.

Re the 3 speed, probably. In fact I have one that I am pretty sure is a '56 unit. I know its rear bearing retainer is about an inch longer than the 54-55's I have and the main shaft coming out the front looks different so that may work better for you.